Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23831
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Manual Mode Shooting" Previous topic | Next topic
Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Thu 07-Feb-13 11:38 PM
753 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Manual Mode Shooting"
Thu 07-Feb-13 11:57 PM by Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US

Though I've used M mode before, today I was at the camera store and brought my D7000 body along. To take some test shots with a Sigma 17-50mm lens.

So I tested it. Taking double shots at min and max focal length, stopped down and wide open f stops. M mode allowed any combo of shutter/aperature. I repeated the testing outdoors. so I have can see the extreme limits of the lens.

Two things caught me by surprise. When I was outside, a few times the shutter wouldn't fire. Is the shutter disabled (in M Mode) when the exposure scale isn't centered?

Focus was fine. Definite green dot in the viewfinder.

Later, looking at the images at home on the computer (with ViewNX2), a few of the exterior shots had EC +/- exposure corrections inserted. I didn't initiate that. That was the other odd thing about today. ISO was set at about 400. What's going on with exposure?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Fri 08-Feb-13 12:58 AM
4100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Manual Mode Shooting"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Sounds like you may have exceeded the camera's shutter speeds at the high end. However, in manual mode it still should have taken the picture.

When in manual mode the camera will insert into the EXIF data the difference between what it meters and what you picked for exposure.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Fri 08-Feb-13 01:46 AM
753 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Manual Mode Shooting"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 08-Feb-13 01:51 AM by Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US

Does this help explain?

ShrimpBoy Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Fri 08-Feb-13 03:47 AM
882 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Manual Mode Shooting"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri 08-Feb-13 03:48 AM by ShrimpBoy

Brighton and Hove, GB

That exif data appears to show 1/200s at f/10 with -2/3 exposure compensation, and crucially shutter priority mode. Are you sure you didn't accidentally jog the mode dial and end up shooting in the wrong mode? I'm not sure that explains the inability to fire the shutter though, I thought that was usually a result of not acquiring focus when shooting with the AF system in focus-priority mode.

What did you think of the Sigma? I absolutely love mine.

Gary
"Yea, Sussex by the sea!" - Rudyard Kipling

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Fri 08-Feb-13 04:20 AM
#4. "RE: Manual Mode Shooting"
In response to Reply # 3

Los Angeles, US

Lack of discipline, on my part. Where I went off track is starting to shoot in my U2 setting, because that is set to record only jpegs. But it is primarily configured for the pop-up to in Commander mode, with flash WB.

So I guess that the EC crept in. Then, somehow I switched to S, when my intention was M mode so I could sample at extreme shutter, and then extreme and mid f-stops. Boy, was I off.

It was an overcast day outside, and inside the store was lit by sodium vapor lighting.

The Tamron seemed sharp enough, though. Yet the Sigma equivalent, reviewed by Thom Hogan is superior in a few ways. It has SWM focus, instead of screwdriver. Though people say that Sigma products vary in quality. So it would be chancy to buy one off eBay. Perhaps new is the best route, after taking test shots and jotting down the serial number for purchase after.

I really should be adhering the checklist I created before pressing the shutter. I keep one in my camera bag for the camera, and one for configuring flash. Didn't have my bag with me.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23831 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.