Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23377
View in threaded mode

Subject: "My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?" Previous topic | Next topic
DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Tue 22-Jan-13 04:16 PM
366 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"

Geneva, US

There are other threads here that are relevant in part to this question, but everyone's dilemma is a little bit different. Here's mine:

My wife and I both shoot D90s. We are going to on a photography trip to Iceland in August (with Focus on Nature/Tony Sweet). Before then I want another DX body (FX is not an option now for a variety of reasons) so that my D90 can be a backup body for both of us. (I don't want to have our expensive once-in-a-lifetime trip spoiled by a camera failure.) The D7000 (or its successor) is my first choice for the sensor/feature upgrade over the D90 in a camera that retains the functional layout of the D90. I also want to get this new toy this spring, in plenty of time to learn it (and get any glitches repaired under warranty) before August.

With that background here are the choices I see:

1) Wait for and buy the D7100 (?) if it's announced and available between now and April. This would be a slam dunk if I had any confidence that the D7000 upgrade was in fact in the pipeline. However, I am beginning to doubt that Nikon will introduce a high-end DX body of any kind in early 2013 based on the complete lack of leaks and rumors so far. Also, if Nikon's next DX camera turns out to be the mythical D400 instead, then the likely added expense and the different layout and "feel" (compared to D90, which I like very much) will make that purchase a more difficult decision.

If it gets to be the end of March and no new DX body has appeared, here are the alternatives that I see:

2) Buy a new D7000 (~$900), get a full year warranty and plenty of time to adapt to it.

3) Buy a refurbished D7000 (currently $750 from Adorama) and get a 90-day warranty.

4) Find a used low-actuation D7000 being sold by a fellow Nikonian ($??) and forgo the warranty. (My wife's D90 was acquired this way and it has performed as if it were purchased new.)

5) Forget the upgrade and pick up a third inexpensive used D90 body to use as a backup (not really interested in this over #2, 3, or 4, but I include it because it is a formal option).

Then there's the whole issue of the continued availability of the D7000 this year, thanks to this post yesterday on Nikon Rumors:

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/01/21/nikon-d7000-listed-as-discontinued-in-australian-retailer.aspx/

So, Nikonian friends, do any of you (especially those who have been down this upgrade path already) have some sage counsel and advice for me?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
pimadude Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Nov 2012Tue 22-Jan-13 04:28 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tucson, US

I recently upgraded from my Nikon D90 to the D7000 during the Thanksgiving "Black Friday" sales, when B&H Photo was offering the camera with the 18-105mm kit lens along with a free camera bag and SD memory card for a very attractive price.

I've only begun using the D7000, which has a learning curve involved since it's somewhat more complex than my D90 (the rockynook book, "Mastering the Nikon D7000" is a very useful reference source). So far I certainly don't regret my decision.

As far as the possibility that Nikon will introduce a new DX camera to replace the D7000, I don't think that will happen until later in the year. When it does I'm sure the new camera will have some attractive features, but the present D7000 is really a very capable camera.

I also wouldn't be too concerned about Nikon discontinuing the D7000 anytime soon, they still have the D90 listed on the US website as a current model.

Jim

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Tue 22-Jan-13 04:41 PM
366 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 1

Geneva, US

Thanks for your thoughts, Jim--

I took Steve Simon's "Mastering the D80/D90/D7000" Nikonians workshop not too long after the D7000 was introduced, and I was impressed with the extent to which the user interface was conserved between the D90 and D7000. I have found Darrell Young's D90 book to be very useful, so I have no doubt that the D7000 book would be as well.

If we didn't really need to have a third body as a backup on this Iceland trip I'd be willing to keep shooting the D90 and see what happens...

Dave

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Tue 22-Jan-13 05:35 PM
739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

HI Dave,
I'd say get the D7000 now. It has the capability to produce outstanding photos whether a newer model comes out or not. It's a safe bet, plus your probability of successful photography will increase if you have more time to practice.

Once you're back and a new model comes out, you could sell the two D90's and get the newer model DX. Then you'll have a D7000 and a new DXXX.

Regarding the D7000 being discontinued, The D90 hasn't even been discontinued yet, so why would Nikon discontinue the D7000, which is newer technology and a more successful product? Anything is possible I guess.

Have a great time on your trip and post some photos.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

NorthBay Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jan 2013Tue 22-Jan-13 05:46 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 0

Janesville, US

I’d recommend you grab the D7000. It’s a great camera with lots of features, it’s mature, and it’s rock solid. *If* Nikon puts out a D7100 this spring, and *if* you could get one, you’d have one of the very first produced. You’d be betting it doesn’t have any teething problems or glitches that early adopters have to put up with. Larry makes a great point, later on you can always get the new model and keep your D7000 as a backup.

TJ McCarthy
WarAxe Photography

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Tue 22-Jan-13 06:44 PM
#5. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 4

Geneva, US

TJ (and Larry) --

I'm sort of leaning in the direction of "D7000 now" but your confirmation of the wisdom of that approach helps.

What do you think about the new vs. refurbished vs. used question? I've never had a refurbished item from Nikon. One of our two bodies was bought used on Nikonians and nearly all of our lenses were bought used -- most here on Nikonians, but a couple on eBay. I've never had a problem with a used item, thanks to reliable sellers, but I'm a little leery of another used camera body given all that could go wrong. (Having said that, it was the new D90 - not the used one -- that required Nikon service!)

There's a distinct possibility that I'm thinking about this too much...

Dave

NorthBay Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jan 2013Tue 22-Jan-13 07:20 PM
#6. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 0

Janesville, US

Looking at Adorama, they have a new D7000 body for $896, refurb for $749, and used (E+ condition) for $719. If you’re thinking of using this as primary for a while, and then backup, I think I’d go with the refurb. It comes with a Nikon 90-day warranty, which I believe means it can’t be grey market, but it would be worth asking first. Either way, be aware the D7000 uses the EN-EL15 battery, different from the D90, so factor the cost of a spare into your plans.
Don’t sweat the over-thinking, you definitely want a reliable piece of equipment in your bag. My old Minolta film camera gave out years ago on my once-in-a-lifetime trip to Edinburgh, and I was one very unhappy camper!

TJ McCarthy
WarAxe Photography

mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Tue 22-Jan-13 09:33 PM
608 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 6
Tue 22-Jan-13 09:34 PM by mkbee1

West Valley, US

If the warranty is a concern, Adorama offers Mack warranties for a very reasonable amount. I don't know how well they work, but just in case my D90 refurb. takes a flyer, I'll be ready.

A new camera body doesn't take up much room in the carry-on, and is always a good thing, especially if She Who Must Be Obeyed is agreeable, but really, how much of a worry is it that your D90s may develop a problem?

Oh, you are going to have fun!

Carl

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Tue 22-Jan-13 11:20 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 5

Joanna, US

If it is a Nikon refurbished unit you shouldn't have much concern as they do a thorough job and offer a 90 day warranty. The refurbished bodies may have been sent in for very minor problems such as focus issues or maybe had been a demo unit. They all are tested before released. If not much difference in cost you could go with new and have a longer warranty but if a big difference I believe you'd be well served with the refurbished unit. Good luck.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Tue 22-Jan-13 11:47 PM
#9. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 7

Geneva, US

Hi, Carl-

Thanks for your comments! A couple of responses:

"... if She Who Must Be Obeyed is agreeable..."

Actually, SWMBO and I both would prefer the luxury of waiting to see what Nikon does next, but we have something north of $10K committed to a trip whose primary purpose is photography... which leads to the next comment:

" ...how much of a worry is it that your D90s may develop a problem?"

Well, in my pre-DSLR days I was photographing a Dale Chihuly art glass installation at the Tacoma Art Museum and the sensor on my Coolpix 5700 died between two exposures. (Fortunately it was a known issue with that camera and was repaired out of warranty at no cost.) More recently, my D90 (the new one, not my wife's used one) developed a weird problem where all LCD display capability (menus, info and playback) disappeared with no warning but could be restored if I took the battery out overnight. A trip to Nikon repair (post-warranty, unfortunately) seems to have fixed the problem with no further issues over the past 18 months. However, I know what it feels like to be suddenly camera-less in a "target-rich environment."

There are actually two cogent reasons for a backup body. The first is the threat of mechanical failure (see above). The second is the dreaded "Operator Error." Because s#!t happens, all of us who carry cameras out into the world are at risk of dropping them, sending them swimming, banging them into things, or other sorts of unintended outcomes that can ruin a photography trip. I consider this risk to be at least as great, if not greater than, the risk of technology failure. Both types of risks can put a real damper on a special trip, and a backup body (between the two of us we can probably survive the loss of just about any single lens) is a (relatively) inexpensive trip-saver.

Dave

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Tue 22-Jan-13 11:53 PM
#10. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 8

Geneva, US

Thanks, for your thoughts, John --

I'm starting to lean strongly in the refurbished direction as a nice compromise between brand-new and random used. However, I still have some time before I need to make a decision. I think I have a couple months before late March-early April, which is the tipping point. That will give me a chance to get the camera and at least get the batteries charged, figure out a bit of what's new from the D90, and take a few test shots before a planned trip to Great Smoky Mountains National Park in late April, which could be a really good break-in trip for a new camera.

Dave

Cousin Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2011Wed 23-Jan-13 05:29 AM
134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 0

Kilmore, AU

Dave, I know you said a full frame was out of the question for various reasons, but why not consider a D600
I'm about to take the plunge into one for around $1600, body only
I do have both DX and FX lenses, and intend using both bodies with different lenses for various reasons
So I end up with a variety of ranges available without having to change lenses as much, a back up if needed, and a slightly better body in the D600 over my D7000

Michael

Joools Registered since 01st Feb 2011Wed 23-Jan-13 12:01 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

Dave, I upgraded from my trusty D90 to the D7000 last summer, I found the change really very easy indeed. Most of the controls and menus are exactly the same making the 'bedding-in' process really not too much of an issue so perhaps you can wait for a couple of months to see what happens with regards any new announcements. Personally, I'd go for the new D7000 now as there's not much cost difference over a refurbished one and you've got time to get any problems sorted out well before you go.

I'm off to Iceland myself in two weeks time (obviously it'll be a totally different experience weather-wise than yours) but I'm definately packing my D90 as back-up. With all that water and rocky surfaces there's a distinct possibility of 'user error'.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Wed 23-Jan-13 01:13 PM
#13. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 11

Geneva, US

Michael, here's my no-FX rationale:

An FX upgrade would require buying not only the body but also investing in FX-equivalent lenses to replace my two workhorse DX-specific lenses, the Nikkor 16-85mm and Tokina 11-16mm. (The likely candidates would be the Nikkor 24-120 f/4 and the Nikkor 16-35 f/4.) If I were to consider my D90 as a backup for a (theoretical) D600 for the Iceland trip or any other upcoming travel, I would have to drag along both the FX and DX versions of lenses in these two focal length ranges to make the D90 a fully functional backup.

If I were only considering myself, I might be a lot more interested in the D600 or even the D800. However, my wife and regularly travel and photograph together. We enjoy having systems that are complementary (in terms of lenses) and cross-compatible, allowing us to cover a lot of options between the two of us. Finally, FX-specific glass, in addition to being an additional expense, is also just bigger and heavier to lug around.

Since I have no compelling need to make images on a full-frame sensor, I see no reason to consider the D600 over the D7000 or some DX successor to it. I also really like the relative compactness and portability of the DX kit. (Maybe that comes from all the years I shot film on an Olympus OM-1.)

If Nikon stops supporting the DX format for serious photographers I'll have to reconsider all of this. In that case, I am likely to take a hard look at the new Olympus OM-D system or other M4/3 systems instead of automatically following the herd to FX.

Dave

chesterdawg Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2010Wed 23-Jan-13 02:01 PM
201 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 24-Jan-13 05:03 PM by chesterdawg

Commerce, US

If you don't mind paying $1200 for a new body then get the new D7xxx when it comes out.

Pesonally I wait until the current body is available for $750. I just purchased a Nikon refurb from Adorama via ebay for $750 delivered and it has only 300 clicks on it.

I like the upgrades from the D90 and the ergos as well. Its slightly larger and the knobs/buttons are also a bit larger as well making them easier to change.

Steve

prreid Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2012Wed 23-Jan-13 08:32 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 0

Naples, US

I have been down the road you are on. And, in retrospect, I was lucky (vs. well-informed) when I went from a D-80 to the D-7000 (about 3 years ago). BUT I think the first question you should answer is: What am I going to do with this camera that a D-90 (if that's the one you currently have)cannot do? In the case of the D7000 there is a lot of stuff you can do. However, if you are not a pro, will you take advantage of all the 'new' stuff or are you a "gadget-guy" (as I must admit I am)who likes to learn about new gadgets? If the latter is the main reason, i.e. your photographic pursuits won't use the advantages of the D7000 but you just like new stuff...go for it!...IF you have the money. Good Luck!!

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Wed 23-Jan-13 08:57 PM
1299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

If I was in your shoes, I'd wait to see what's coming, for surely *SOMETHING* must be coming in the next couple of months, be it a D7100, D7200 or D400. The D7000 and D300s are both ripe for replacement; even if the replacement doesn't tickle your fancy there should be plenty of opportunities (perhaps more than currently) to get your other options. Time is on your side. Time is not yet tight.

Chris

chloeourdog Registered since 28th Nov 2012Wed 23-Jan-13 11:59 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 16

US

I went from a D200 to a D7000 and am very much enjoying the clean higher iso capabilities I now have. I took some old SD cards and created/saved custom settings for portrait, landscape, travel, sports, movie and point/shoot. I can quickly load these into U1 or U2 to give me quick baselines for different shooting solutions. I used 16mb SD cards from an old Palm Pilot for this. Each card is clearly labeled. I am using an eyefi card in slot 2 where I save basic jpg files. Card 1 is raw images.

I was looking for the D300s or its replacement, but the D7000 was too good to pass up.

ShrimpBoy Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Fri 25-Jan-13 03:21 AM
882 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 0

Brighton and Hove, GB

I bought my D7000 used from a Nikonian and it's doing me proud. So I say if the D600 upgraders are still unloading theirs grab one. The IQ is superb, I suspect the newer model if there was one would only really give you 24MP instead of 16 and some minor improvements in noise at ISO 12800 and up. Buy a D7000 now and get familiar with it so it's second nature by the time you travel.

Gary
"Yea, Sussex by the sea!" - Rudyard Kipling

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Fri 25-Jan-13 02:27 PM
3956 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

I think the worst thing that an amateur photographer can do is wait until some hoped-for new DX body shows up sometime in the future this year (Spring? Summer?), make the purchase and then end up leaving its inevitably superior resolution, high ISO performance, AF speed, etc., etc., in the camera bag because he hasn't had enough weekend shooting time with the thing to make him familiar and comfortable enough to justify making it his primary body for use on a long-planned and possibly not-repeatable photography trip.

On the other hand, buying the wonderful and notably superior D7000 right now gives a photographer lots and lots of time to experiment with the D7000, shoot some projects with it, absorb how his favorite lenses work with it, adjust his technique to include generally faster shutter speeds to ensure all those megapixels capture the sharpest possible images, and so on, and so on. A once-in-a lifetime trip to Iceland is not a trip to take with a relatively unfamiliar new camera. Quite the contrary, it's absolutely a trip to take with a camera the photographer knows thoroughly well.

Several others in this thread have mentioned something just as important. A shiny new advanced DX camera body model is just as likely to show up with early-adopter/early production run teething problems. Why take the chance?

The D7000 - given its superior imaging capabilities, all of the user knowledge about it available to be tapped here on Nikonians, all the guidebooks written about it, all the wonderful published images that have been made with it - is a top quality, 16mp bargain right now. So my advice it to buy it now, mount your favorite lens, and then shoot with it as much as possible between now and your departure date for Iceland. You won't be sorry. Against the exceedingly rare chance that your D7000 fails for any reason, you'll still have your equally familiar D90 as a backup. I think that's the best of all possibilities in your situation.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Fri 25-Jan-13 05:04 PM
6053 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

Dave, you may have already made your decision, but I'll chime in anyway.

"Wait for and buy the D7100 (?) if it's announced and available between now and April."

Why? Do you honestly think this hypothetical camera will produce substantially better images than the D7000 you can get now? Sure, it may be incrementally better in some specs, but if you can't get the image with a D7000, you are unlikely to get it with a "D7100." And you'll be paying a premium for the bleeding-edge technology. Frankly, the D7000 is one of the best deals going in the camera market today.

As for new vs refurb vs used, I'd go the refurb route. You just never know what you're going to get on the used market, even in a place where the sellers are generally honest and aboveboard, like here on Nikonians. And the 90-day warranty on a refurb gives you plenty of time to wring it out and discover problems, if any.

Finally, I wouldn't worry about that D7000 unavailability rumor. The source for that is one retailer in one country, and it may be a simple data-entry error for all we know. I would be very surprised if there were a significant period of time when a top-of-the-line Nikon DX body, the D7000 or its successor, were not available.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

cosmicfires Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Nov 2011Sat 26-Jan-13 07:59 AM
328 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lynnwood, US

A Nikon rep at a show last year told me DX is 95% of Nikon's DSLR business so I expect there will be more high end DX bodies. I too like DX because it's lighter and the lenses are smaller. One of my favorites is the 10-24mm, I'd need the 14-24mm to replace it in FX.

I went from the D80 to the D7000, there is a lot to learn about the D7000 to take advantages of it's features. I was able to do as well as the D80 in a couple of days however.

my website

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sat 26-Jan-13 12:16 PM
3956 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 19

Toronto, CA

I'd like to add that at this point in time the typical retail price for a new D7000 iss only slightly higher than the price for a refurb. So there's every reason to get a brand new one with its full Nikon warranty.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Mon 28-Jan-13 07:19 PM
#23. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 0

Geneva, US

Thanks to all of you for your thoughtful input!

Here's where I landed on this: I'm still not going to do anything for a couple of months, but at that point I am almost certain to go for a new D7000. I agree that even if Nikon were to introduce the "next" DX camera by then (increasingly unlikely as every day with no rumor or news passes) it still might not be immediately available, and if the D800/D600 introductions are any indication there might be initial quality control problems to deal with.

What cemented my decision was going back to look again at Thom Hogan's D7000 review. He has a nice chart comparing the D90 to the D7000 feature-by-feature...I had forgotten how much cool new stuff was packed into the deceptively similar D7000 body! (f anyone reading this is on the fence about the D7000, check it out!)

I'll let you know how it turns out and post some Iceland images when I return.

Thanks again,

Dave

jvaidya Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2011Tue 29-Jan-13 06:32 AM
91 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 23

New York, US

Hi
Sorry if im repeating the suggestion but have you considered renting the D7K?
You could rent it first for a weekend to 'learn' it and then again for your trip. You will be then able to buy the 24mp Upgrade if and when it arrives
Just a thought

jvaidya Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2011Tue 29-Jan-13 06:33 AM
91 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 24

New York, US

Also i hope you are still enjoying the 18-20

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Tue 29-Jan-13 04:48 PM
#26. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 24

Geneva, US

I don't think renting is the way to go for me. I'm going to want to shoot regularly with the new camera for 3-4 months just to get used to it (and the ways it differs from my old familiar D90). The current price for new D7000s is a steal, considering what you get.

And yes, we continue to enjoy the 18-200. It's my wife's all-purpose lens, and I have taken it on a couple of business trips to give me a single lens do-everything option.

Dave

labtrout Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2011Tue 29-Jan-13 05:47 PM
371 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 26
Tue 29-Jan-13 05:48 PM by labtrout

Bristol, US

Dave,

I know I am weighing in late since you seem to have arrived at a decision. I just want to reinforce that getting the D7000 is a good choice. I bought mine about a year ago, moving all the way up from my old D50. I have found the D7000 to be a very capable workhorse camera, one I am not likely to outgrow anytime soon. By the way, like you, my primary lens for it is the 16-85mm VR(which I purchased as refurbished three years ago and has never had a problem).

My best friend shoots with a D90, so I was familiar with that model and actually considered getting it instead of the D7000, since it is "tried-and-true." But after reading the Thom Hogan comparison, I opted for the D7000 as a significant upgrade for not much more money. Now my buddy is thinking of getting the D7000, just as you are.

Best of luck with your trip.

Fred

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Wed 30-Jan-13 12:56 PM
3296 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 27

Dyserth, GB

Sorry, I'm late wading in too! I have had the D90 and have a D7000 (a D800 too). Moving from the D90 to the D7000 was quite a leap, even greater than moving from my D80 to the D300 was. If you do buy a D7000 prepare for quite a steep learning curve as the camera is easily mastered providing the time is invested in learning how to harness its potential.

I would strongly recommend you buy Thom Hogans book on the D7000 and read it cover to cover. Thom's books are the most informative I've read and wish I had bought it. I learned my lesson and bought the one for my D800 Darrell Young's books are a worthwhile investment too.

Richard

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

clayolmstead Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2010Thu 31-Jan-13 02:59 AM
197 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 4

Austin, US

> *If*
>Nikon puts out a D7100 this spring, and *if* you could get
>one, you’d have one of the very first produced. You’d be
>betting it doesn’t have any teething problems or glitches that
>early adopters have to put up with.

Not a good bet, considering the problems with the first production of the D80, D5000, D600 and D800. I bought a D7k (up from a D80) because the D80 is showing its age and I didn't want to wait for the D7x00 to be born and finish teething. We could be talking next January before you'd be confident in buying one.

Clay
Austin, TX USA

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Thu 31-Jan-13 09:20 AM
3296 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 29
Thu 31-Jan-13 09:21 AM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

<<Not a good bet, considering the problems with the first production of the D80, D5000, D600 and D800.>>

That reasoning wouldn't necessarily put me off buying one if I was inclined to do so. However, I see little value in buying a new camera at Nikon's inflated launch prices for at least 9 months. That would also give time to study reviews, real world experiences and for Thom/Darrell to produce another excellent book about the camera. If anything Nikon will have learned much from past experiences. Well I hope so.

The D800 was about £2500 ($3700)at launch with a price hike only a month later! 9 months on and in the UK, the camera can be bought for £1869 ($2800) a saving of 25%. This is the same price as the Nikon D700 sold at 9 months after it's launch. The D800 now represents terrific value for money and I'm sure any successor to the D300s or D7000 will do the same in time.

After the V1 price drop on the V2 launch, the D800 price hike after a month and now the inevitable price drop I am not donating any more money to Nikon for a while. So for me, although it's about product quality, it's equally about value for money

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

jvaidya Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2011Thu 31-Jan-13 09:17 PM
#31. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 26

New York, US

Good luck with your new D7K(assuming you are getting one). I love mine and have been using it for 2 years now.

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Fri 01-Feb-13 08:15 PM
#32. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 0

Geneva, US

Just when I thought a new D7000 in a couple of months was the answer to my dilemma:

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/02/01/nikon-d7000-replacement-before-april-more-coolpix-cameras-including-a-p310-replacement.aspx/

As the agnostic said about the Bible, "Interesting if true."

Dave

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Fri 01-Feb-13 09:09 PM
#33. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 32

Dyserth, GB

Evidently it will have 24MP sensor in a smaller body than the D600. 100-6400 ISO range and a smaller body than a D600,

If that's the case then it won't be a semi pro DX, just another D7000+ with a 24Mp DX. If it happens I can see little possibility of a successor to the D300s.

Richard

clayolmstead Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2010Fri 01-Feb-13 10:03 PM
197 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 0

Austin, US

Whatever you go with, you will still be the envy of most of us: having a wife who shares your enthusiasm for photography is a rare thing.

Have a great trip.

Clay
Austin, TX USA

labtrout Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2011Sat 02-Feb-13 12:55 AM
371 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 34

Bristol, US

If the (long-rumored) replacement for the D7000 is imminent, I find it interesting that the D90 lives on with half the sensor. I wonder what the thinking is behind keeping that model in production for so many years while the D7000 gets canned after just over two years.

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Sat 02-Feb-13 04:12 PM
#36. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 35

Geneva, US

Is it still in production, or is it just excess inventory working its way through the system?

Mine still takes great pictures, but I can't see buying another one as a backup now...

Dave

labtrout Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2011Sat 02-Feb-13 05:11 PM
#37. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 36

Bristol, US

Well, that's a good question. It is still for sale on the Nikon USA site, so that's what I was going by. I thought excess inventory would be sold off at reduced price, but it is still listed at $899.95, same as the discounted D7000.

rnagel Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2011Sat 02-Feb-13 06:14 PM
124 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#38. "RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"
In response to Reply # 37

Mequon, US

I am not sure if this has been covered at all. I bought a Nikon Refurbished D7000 from Adorama and a refurb lens about three weeks ago. They have (or had) a VIP Club you could join that gives you extended warranty coverage up to one year on everything purchased through them. Just a thought, 749.00 plus 7.50 VIP, is indeed a good deal, to me anyway.

Rich

In every real man a child is hidden that wants to play.
"Nietzsche"

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23377 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.