Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23153
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Nikon D7000 Self Timer" Previous topic | Next topic
derekmiller45 Registered since 07th Jan 2013Tue 08-Jan-13 01:21 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D7000 Self Timer"

Bedford, GB

Hi.
I only got my D7000 a few weeks ago and have been working my way through Mastering the D7000 by Darrell, what a fantastic intro to this camera. Anyway I keep coming back to the same problem.
In the self timer mode, I can get it to work for 1 exposure, but not for multiple. I select the delay, number of shots and interval ok.
You can see in the information display, that the correct release mode is set and that it is set for multiple shots, but it only ever fires off the first one.
The interval timer works fine and I have reset all my custom changes.
Any thoughts.
Thanks.
Derek.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
derekmiller45 Registered since 07th Jan 2013Tue 08-Jan-13 03:05 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D7000 Self Timer"
In response to Reply # 0

Bedford, GB

Further to this:

It works if you have flash turned off, its only when flash is enabled it fires once.
The battery is fully charged.
There is enough delay between the shots to allow the flash to recharge.
The flash does work in the interval timer mode.

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Tue 08-Jan-13 03:29 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D7000 Self Timer"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

Are you certain that you clicked OK once you set the number of shots?

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

derekmiller45 Registered since 07th Jan 2013Tue 08-Jan-13 03:46 PM
#3. "RE: Nikon D7000 Self Timer"
In response to Reply # 2

Bedford, GB

Hi Gamecocks.

Yes.
To keep it simple, if I put it into AUTO and disable the flash, the self timer runs perfectly, firing off multiple shots, but as soon as you enable flash, it only fires once. therefore the self timer setup is definitely entered correctly.

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Tue 08-Jan-13 04:59 PM
1893 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon D7000 Self Timer"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue 08-Jan-13 05:05 PM by elec164

US

>It works if you have flash turned off, its only when flash is
>enabled it fires once.
>
>The flash does work in the interval timer mode.
>

Huh!!!

I didn't even know that the self timer had that option, but admittedly I never have used the self timer.

Just tried it myself and you are correct that when the built in flash is deployed it only takes one shot. But I just mounted my SB-800 and it does work as expected, so it appears Nikon doesn't feel the built in is powerful enough for it to work as expected and disables multiple shooting with the self timer.

Learn something new every day!!

Pete

Edited to add:

When I tested it with the SB800 I was relatively close with a wide aperture and the flash fired every time. But I just retested insuring the flash needed to fire near full power and I only got two flashes for three exposures set, so it appears while the self timer interval works, there's no guarantee that there will be enough flash power.

Interesting!!!!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Tue 08-Jan-13 06:37 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon D7000 Self Timer"
In response to Reply # 3

Joanna, US

Great to hear. As Pete mentioned, it probably has to do with the flash power, etc. Good luck and enjoy that great D7000.

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

derekmiller45 Registered since 07th Jan 2013Tue 08-Jan-13 06:57 PM
#6. "RE: Nikon D7000 Self Timer"
In response to Reply # 4

Bedford, GB

Thanks Peter.
At least I know its not a finger problem.
I would like to know if its all D7000s or just some. Whether there is an issue with some of them.
Cheers again.
Derek.

derekmiller45 Registered since 07th Jan 2013Tue 08-Jan-13 06:58 PM
#7. "RE: Nikon D7000 Self Timer"
In response to Reply # 5

Bedford, GB

Thanks John.
Have only just moved from film to digital, enjoying this machine one hell of a lot. Should have moved sooner...
Derek

derekmiller45 Registered since 07th Jan 2013Wed 09-Jan-13 02:25 PM
#8. "RE: Nikon D7000 Self Timer"
In response to Reply # 4

Bedford, GB

Just found this in the manual:

Using the Built in Flash

Note that only one photograph will be taken when the flash fires, regardless of the number of exposures selected for Custom Setting c3 (Self-timer; 214).

Not very good for this type of camera.....

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23153 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.