Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22723
View in threaded mode

Subject: "D7000 Focus issue is real" Previous topic | Next topic
hmanooch Registered since 21st Dec 2012Fri 21-Dec-12 06:08 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 Focus issue is real"

US

I've had my D7000 for just over a year now and been extremely happy with it. But over the last couple of photo ops I became aware of a focusing issue. I immediately began a search of the web and realized other people were having questions about the focusing capabilities of their D7000s as well. I ran some tests and reviewed my images to find evidence for or against my suspicions. I also ran some rudimentary tests using different lenses and even flash and high shutter speeds. sure enough, my camera seems to have begun back focussing by at least 10% regardless of lens used. The issue is definitely a new development. My older pictures are very sharp.
Now here, I'm going to hopefully add some helpful info. First of all, the only thing I have done recently with the camera that could possibly have caused some software corruption is to set up U1 and U2. Perhaps that action somehow introduced corruption into the software somehow. The rest of you guys who are interested in this subject please consider this possibility and see if I may have something here. next, and this is a big one. I went to metadata exif in CS Bridge and looked at subject distance. Ureka!!!!! The figures are all over the place from 0.0 to billions of meters! Has anyone noticed this before? How could all of you experts have missed this!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 21-Dec-12 08:28 AM
28744 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 Focus issue is real"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

It sounds like your D7000 has developed a fault, since you're seeing focus errors and invalid distance information. The first thing to try would be cleaning the row of electrical contacts in the lens mount area, but if that doesn't improve things a trip to service may be in order.

Whatever you may have read elsewhere, there is no general focusing problem affecting the D7000 - so let's concentrate on fixing your camera

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Fri 21-Dec-12 12:07 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 Focus issue is real"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>I went to metadata exif in CS Bridge and
>looked at subject distance. Ureka!!!!! The figures are all
>over the place from 0.0 to billions of meters! Has anyone
>noticed this before? How could all of you experts have missed
>this!
>

It's debateable how accurate this information is; however, the billions of meters corresponds to a lens with focus set at infinity, and I wonder if the 0.0 indicates you were at the near limit of the lens? Or perhaps closeup work under 1m?

The critical information which you've omitted in your post is whether the EXIF data corresponds to your observed shooting distance.

In some shorter range work, at least, the EXIF seems fairly accurate.

See http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=22297&mesg_id=22297&page=2 for a quick discussion and results.

FWIW, my D7ks are about a year old, I use U1 and U2 pretty extensively, and I don't have a global focus issue. I have one lens which backfocuses that I had to fine tune, the rest remain spot-on.

hawaii502160 Registered since 11th Feb 2011Fri 21-Dec-12 12:39 PM
183 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 Focus issue is real"
In response to Reply # 0

Cleveland, US

I found that my camera had focus issues with one lens only. My kit lens was very sharp, but my 24-70mm was very soft at anything wider than 50mm. I returned the lens, and I also sent the camera off to APS for a general cleaning/autofocus calibration. I got the body back a couple of days ago. I'm going to take some shots this afternoon and see how it is.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

esandy Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2011Fri 21-Dec-12 04:38 PM
189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 Focus issue is real"
In response to Reply # 0

Wichita Falls, US

After a year or so my camera no longer seemed to have the sharp images it once did. Most of the shots appeared soft or out of focus. After some testing and reading about the focus issues, I eventually performed a reset of the camera. The reset cured the issues I was having with focus tho you have to re-enter many of your favorite settings.

Ed

Davidpeter1 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Mar 2004Fri 21-Dec-12 05:21 PM
556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 Focus issue is real"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 21-Dec-12 06:09 PM by Davidpeter1

Cardiff, GB

Not sure what the problem is really, the camera was great, now it won't work properly.
No need to be complicated and look at data and try to do deep analysis - trust your eyes. It's nothing to do with any fiddling that you have done with the controls. Not your fault. If a re-set won't bring it back as suggested then it's broken down and needs to be professionally fixed, and then it will be great again I'm sure.

David.

Cardiff,Britain.

BE A BLOOD + BONE MARROW DONOR TO FIGHT CANCER, YOU MAY SAVE A LIFE.
http://www.nikonians-images.com/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=16427

hmanooch Registered since 21st Dec 2012Fri 21-Dec-12 08:08 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 Focus issue is real"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>It sounds like your D7000 has developed a fault, since you're
>seeing focus errors and invalid distance information. The
>first thing to try would be cleaning the row of electrical
>contacts in the lens mount area, but if that doesn't improve
>things a trip to service may be in order.
>
>Whatever you may have read elsewhere, there is no general
>focusing problem affecting the D7000 - so let's concentrate on
>fixing your camera

Thank you very much for the contact cleaning suggestion. This is the kind of sound and helpful advice and response these sites need more of. I'll try it and hope it solves the problem. Other respondents have asked for more input and had more suggestions and in the interest of efficiency, I'm going to address those here as well. all the images I've checked were between 1and 5 meters. most with a 14-24 2.8. Some test shots with a 50 1.8. Both these lenses have performed quite satisfactorily on this body in the past and are still doing perfectly on my D700.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 21-Dec-12 11:43 PM
11302 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 Focus issue is real"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

I think it unlikely that the cameras firmware has been corrupted but it is possible.

The solution, if the firmware is corrupt, is pretty easy. Download the latest firmware update from the Nikon USA site and preform the update. Even if your firmware is up-to-date it will let you perform the operation and the firmware in the camera will be overwritten by the firmware that you download from Nikon. This is kind of like reloading the operating system on your computer.

I had an odd focus issue with a D300s and this procedure worked for me.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 22-Dec-12 12:33 PM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 Focus issue is real"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

If you are experiencing the same 10% misfocsuing with all FL and all lenses, and the full reset does not solve it, I would think the odds of it needing a minor adjustment are pretty high.
If it happens intermittently, the odds of it being contact oxidation on the camera lens mount as Brian mentioned.
Cleaning is not usually needed with intermittent contacts and can make it worse. Some suggest using a pencil erase but they will make the contacts less reliable permanently by increasing contact resistance due to scoring. When people say "cleaning" contacts, they mean de-oxidizing which is not done with solvents and cleaners but with a de-oxidizing agent such as Craig Laboratories D-5 De-Oxit.
If the problem is consistent however, there is a good chance that it need a simple mechanical alignment by a service center. If handled roughly or dropped there is a good chance of changing the mirror angle or other mechanical adjustment.

One suggestion that applies to all posters seeking solutions, to get more people to answer or even read your question try not to post titles that are inflammatory assertions that most people know is false. They would tend to bypass such a post without reading. The D7000 is an excellent system and its Multicam4800DX AF is one of the many reasons it is. Somewhere in your system that many involves many components(lenses, light level, settings, camera, operator, target characteristics etc) has a problem, but that does not support any claim that D7000's in general have a real issue. Clearly that is false and assuming that it does will cause you to overlook more important evidence is determining the problem. What you and we do know is that you are now getting out of focus captures, due to what, you, and we, will not know without more evidence.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22723 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.