Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22468
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Potential issues to be aware of with used D7000?" Previous topic | Next topic
Tex09 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Dec 2012Wed 05-Dec-12 12:37 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Potential issues to be aware of with used D7000?"

US

I just bought a slightly used (demo) D7000 from Adorama for what I think is a good price.

I've been sorting through the posts in this forum so that I know what potential issues I should be aware of, since I'd like to get anything resolved right away under Adorama's 90-day warranty.

As far as I can tell, the main issues are the mode dial and back-focusing. Please let me know your thoughts, if I'm missing anything, or just being overly concerned.

Does anyone know of issues with white balance and over-exposure? I seem to recall reading those issues somewhere.

Thank you in advance for all your help!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Wed 05-Dec-12 02:59 PM
1896 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Potential issues to be aware of with used D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Personally I feel you are being over cautious.

While I have noticed others complaining about an easily nudged mode dial, I personally never had an issue with it.

There are a few people whom have had calibration issues with the focus mechanism, but that was easily addressed by a trip to Nikon service. And while there were people with legitimate calibration issues, a good number of the early soft focus issues were due to user error.

Another known issue early on that affect only a small amount of units was the lubricant spray caused by a defective seal on the mirror charging motor. I was an early adopter of the D7000 in which it was affected by that issue, and it was repaired under warranty by Nikon and I have yet to see a reappearance of the lubricant spray since the repair.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Tex09 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Dec 2012Wed 05-Dec-12 04:53 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Potential issues to be aware of with used D7000?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thank you for responding and I appreciate your opinion, Pete.

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Wed 05-Dec-12 07:43 PM
2797 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Potential issues to be aware of with used D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 05-Dec-12 07:48 PM by Rassie

Milton, CA

The mode dial on my 3-month old D7000 is tight enough - no more loose than the one on my D90. The dial on the D90 sometimes accidentally shifted when I put the camera in its bag or when taking it out. I quickly got into the habit of checking the dial position everytime before starting to shoot. Following the same habit with the D7000 means it's not an issue for me.

The D7000 has an autofocus fine tuning adjustment in the menus. If you suspect it's back-focusing then print a focus chart and test the camera's autofocus. If it's off you can try to fine-tune the autofocus till it's right. Mine was so far out that I had to get the camera back to Nikon to fix the back-focus. After I got the camera back I fine-tuned the autofocus on each of my lenses again, and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it focuses now. During a recent holiday I got some really sharp pictures. I know now that if my picture comes out soft it's poor technique on my part rather than faulty camera focus.

I have also found the white balance on the D7000 to be generally more accurate than that on my D90. Having said that, white balance doesn't bother me on either camera because I shoot in RAW and always fine tune white balance in Photoshop anyway.

There were some initial complaints of blown highlights in high-contrast scenes with early model D7000's, but I have not seen this problem on my D7000. It was an issue on my wife's D40, but then I set the camera to a lower default contrast for jpeg shots, and it's not a problem now (my wife shoots only jpeg). If the camera is set to produce higher contrast jpeg pictures you'll be more likely to blow highlights than with lower contrast settings. You can always increase contrast during post-processing. Also check the D7000 operator's manual. The metering can be fine tuned to reduce the likelyhood of blowing highlights or overexposing.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 06-Dec-12 04:05 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Potential issues to be aware of with used D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

I might be concerned with what the store means by Demo. If it in fact is a store demo, it could be abused or very dirty inside if other store demos are any indication. It might mean a return-to-stock camera from its on-line shop which could be an indication that someone bought it and returned it for reasons unknown.

Other than that the D7000 is a stable well sorted out camera. The only one of real concern might be the oil droplets from a defective motor seal that a few forum members had. The intitial AF problems usually turned out to be the camera just needed to be learned better but a few needed calibration. Mine was excellent but suddenly developed a problem with AF on wider lenses only during an event. I took it to a Nikon warranty station and they adjusted it back to proper adjustment last May.
The over exposure complaints that a few expressed were not camera problems but learning a slightly different bias towards preserving more shadows since the camera had a wider DR than any other DX camera. Even with the extended DR, many scenes are wider in tone range that what any camera can capture without data loss at either end of the amplitude range. That change in the metering was a good thing and you will find the metering to be quite good when you get used it. Unless your prior camera was a D3x or D800, at low ISO, the D7000 will be a step up in DR.
If something does not seem right based on prior experience, just ask on the forum. We have probably heard it before and can suggest solution. One thing right off, consider increasing shutter speed on hand held shots for best crispness of images. The old rule of thumb of 1/(FL*1.5) for hand holding might be the minimum unless you have excellent hand holding technique. I use 1/125 minimum for hand holding my 85 1.4 but prefer 1/250 if the light is good enough for still subjects. Action shots will be higher of course.
Good luck, it is an excellent camera.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Thu 06-Dec-12 06:11 PM
166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Potential issues to be aware of with used D7000?"
In response to Reply # 4

Jamison, US

I bought a refurb D90 from Cameta Camera a while ago, same source as Adorama (Factory Refurb) no regrets or problems, solved a problem at the time for me

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22468 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.