Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #18732
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Focus trap for D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
Bride Registered since 01st Apr 2012Sat 19-May-12 05:23 AM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Focus trap for D7000"

US

Does anybody know the settings for focus trap on a D7000?

Best
bride

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sat 19-May-12 06:41 AM
4097 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Focus trap for D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Set the camera to focus-priority release, Custom Settings a1 and a2.

Remove the focus control from the shutter button, either by using manual focus or ae-L button focus (Custom Setting f5).

Prefocus on the desired spot, press and hold the shutter release, wait for something to become in focus.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

txstone12 Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2012Fri 14-Dec-12 09:01 PM
199 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Focus trap for D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Texas, US

No one comes back to an old post unless they're researching a topic.

In case you are, I tried this procedure today and would like to add one step to Joseph's marvelously succinct description.

That additional step is, as explained here

http://forum.mflenses.com/focus-trapping-on-nikon-d7000-t46772.html

"Swerve lens away from object, keep shutter fully pressed and aim lens back at prefocused object - snap"

Of course you have to move to a portion of the scene that's out-of-focus to fully depress the shutter. Then you move back to the prefocused area when the target you're waiting for comes into view. Snap...

David

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my SmugMug Gallery.

Rmastran Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2011Sun 16-Dec-12 03:59 AM
49 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Focus trap for D7000"
In response to Reply # 1
Sun 16-Dec-12 03:59 AM by Rmastran

Carver, US

I would add a few steps to this that work well for unattended setups.

Set the camera to continuous shooting (CL).
Use a remote switch (such as this one: http://bhpho.to/URQIQm) to lock the shutter.

When the subject enters the focus area, the camera will start firing, and will stop when the subject leaves the focus area. When the subject re-enters the focus area, the camera will automatically start firing again.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Tue 12-Feb-13 09:33 PM
137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "Auto Firing"
In response to Reply # 3
Tue 12-Feb-13 10:09 PM by hyphotographer

GB

That is very cool... auto firing with remote shutter release...

Yes, we need to change to 'Focus Priority Release', then make sure you choose the focus mode correctly.

For example, if you choose AF-C for focus priority in a1, make sure you use AF-C mode, not AF-S mode if your AF-S mode is set to release regardless of the subject is in focus or not.

Otherwise, your camera could then be taking pictures all the time.

I now understood how to 'lock the shutter':
On the MC-DC2 equivalent of corded remote control, push the button down, then move the slider to keep the push-button in depressed position.

I have just ordered a third party MC-DC2 equivalent for my D7000 from Amazon, it is the cheapest Neewer release, cost £2.44 from the UK site.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 14-Feb-13 09:50 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Focus trap for D7000"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu 09-May-13 10:22 PM by km6xz

St Petersburg, RU

Another aid in successful trap shooting is to stop the aperture down a bit so is the subject is not a flat plane parallel to the focal plane. That increases the field depth so if the desired focus point comes into range after a leading edge at another focal plane is locked onto. For example if it was a person walking parallel to the focal plane and is swinging their arms in a natural gate, their far arm would trigger the shutter before the face or body closer to the camera would in focus. So calculate the Dof needed to assure the whole subject would be in focus if any part was able to trigger the shutter.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Sat 16-Feb-13 11:15 AM
137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "Must be on AF-C and AE-L/AF-L button assigned as AF-ON"
In response to Reply # 4
Sat 16-Feb-13 10:33 PM by hyphotographer

GB

I tried today after receiving my Neewer labelled 'Shoot' MC-DC2 remote switch from Amazon U. K. (£2.44) and like it very much. I pushed it to lock position after the 'pre-focus' and 'swerve lens away' procedures.

In addition, you must assign the AE-L / AF-L button to AF-ON, disabling the shutter release buttons (including remote MC-DC2) to initiate auto focus (AF).

Next, to let your D7000 work 'auto-firing', you must use AF-C, and set it to release on 'Focus' rather than 'Release', on page 208 of the D7000 English Instruction Manual (a1: AF-C Priority Selection).

If you use AF-S, it will fire regardless of your object is in focus or not, because the camera will only consider for once, the object appear in focusing point (tiny square), seen in the viewfinder is in focus or not.

Whereas in AF-C, the camera will continually considering your object appearing in the tiny square (focusing point) is in focus or not. As a result, when your object is not in focus, it will stop firing. D7000 will auto-fire again when object is in focus.

The D7000 manual does not give you this instructions, but fellow Nikonians help each other to figure out this trick.

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Thu 09-May-13 07:25 PM
#7. "RE: Auto Firing"
In response to Reply # 4
Fri 10-May-13 09:33 AM by hyphotographer

GB

My D7000 does NOT stop auto firing once the object (bird) left the scene. Any idea?

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Thu 09-May-13 08:45 PM
3614 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Focus trap for D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

Farmington Hills, US

Note that Nikon changed the AF behavior with the D800 and D4 so that trap focusing is not possible. I don't know if this change extends to later cameras such as the D7100 and D600.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D800e, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Thu 09-May-13 10:09 PM
4097 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Auto Firing"
In response to Reply # 7
Fri 10-May-13 07:26 PM by JosephK

Seattle, WA, US

The edited question needs an edited answer, which I don't have...

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #18732 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.