Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #483
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Bracket in 2EV steps" Previous topic | Next topic
dankeny Gold Member Nikonian since 29th May 2006Mon 27-Sep-10 08:54 PM
1459 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Bracket in 2EV steps"

Roland, US

I don't know how many of you care, but I find the 1EV steps too small for many occassions (especially shooting for HDR). I'm happy to see bracketing in 2EV steps on the D7000.

Speaking of HDR, Maybe I'll wait for the D9000 which will (in my dreams) support HDR by taking 5 different exposures simultaneously and pick the best exposure for each pixel automatically, 25 EV of DR as well as eliminate noise by multiple pixel parity (Brian's idea).

David

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
mikeon Registered since 01st Oct 2004Tue 28-Sep-10 06:41 AM
55 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Bracket in 2EV steps"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 28-Sep-10 06:42 AM by mikeon

Örebro, SE

Actually this is the only drawback that I have found in the specs about the D7000. Two solutions would make me happy: Bracketing in 2EV (as D90) or possibility to shoot 5 shots in the bracketing sequence (as D300/D300s and others)

/Mikael
-----------------------
D800 & D7000 user (Sweden)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

enesunkie Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Apr 2008Wed 29-Sep-10 09:54 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Bracket in 2EV steps"
In response to Reply # 1

Buffalo, US

This Nikon USA site states:
"Exposure Bracketing - 2 to 3 frames in steps of 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 1 or 2 EV"

http://nikonusa.com/...468/D7000.html#tab-ProductDetail.ProductTabs.TechSpecs

The imaging.nikon.com site shows:
"Exposure bracketing - 2 to 3 frames in steps of 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 or 1 EV"

http://imaging.nikon.com/...s/imaging/lineup/digitalcamera/slr/d7000/spec.htm
I suspect this site is the one that needs correction.

Kurt

mikeon Registered since 01st Oct 2004Mon 04-Oct-10 04:52 PM
55 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Bracket in 2EV steps"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon 04-Oct-10 04:54 PM by mikeon

Örebro, SE

I hope you're right, and you seem to be. I just checked
http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/digitalcamera/slr/d7000/spec.htm
and the now have updated the information: up to ±2 EV. Makes me happy !!!

/Mikael
-----------------------
D800 & D7000 user (Sweden)

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Tue 05-Oct-10 01:43 AM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Bracket in 2EV steps"
In response to Reply # 0

AW

David,

Some of the best software for HDR prefers you shoot in 1 stop increments and they openly state it. That said, yes, two stop, 3 shot increments work, but the results are coarser.

Just a perspective.

""

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Tue 05-Oct-10 11:38 PM
4090 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Bracket in 2EV steps"
In response to Reply # 4

Alberta, CA

Hi David,
Do you happen to know where Photomatix stands on this? At this point in my journey into HDR I haven't detected what is best (3 shots or 5).

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

donfaulk Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Aug 2009Wed 06-Oct-10 01:33 PM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Bracket in 2EV steps"
In response to Reply # 5

Madison, US

The documentation for Photomatix 4.0 reads: "Set the exposure increment to +/- 2 for optimal exposure range. If your camera does not offer +/- 2 exposure increments, select the maximum possible. Consult the camera manual for model-specific instructions for choosing this setting."
However, it goes on to suggest not 3 (+/-2 EV) bracketed exposures but rather 5 in cases where the scene is extremely contrasty.

Don F.

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Wed 06-Oct-10 02:06 PM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Bracket in 2EV steps"
In response to Reply # 6

AW

Steve, Don,

When I said the best HDR software, I was not talking about Photomatix, which I think is a rather inferior product.

The best HDR product out there is Picturenaut and if one takes the time to make some direct comparisions, it does not take long to determine which software produces the best results in color accuracy and

So, Picturenaut prefers one stop increments and preferably 7 to 9 images.

Ever wonder why the better Nikon cameras work this way?

""

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #483 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.