Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1241
View in threaded mode

Subject: "More ISO test shots..." Previous topic | Next topic
km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 26-Oct-10 03:03 PM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"More ISO test shots..."

St Petersburg, RU

Here is a series of photos from 100 ISO to H2(25k) of an action figure at f/7.1. RAW files opened in Lightroom 3 using the the latest version of ACR release to convert to JPG, no NR or adjustments

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kayone73/5116755823/in/set-72157625245822908/

Impressive.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 26-Oct-10 07:08 PM
25013 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: More ISO test shots..."
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Stan,

Thanks for the images!
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Tue 26-Oct-10 08:34 PM
48513 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: More ISO test shots..."
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Great

Thanks for sharing.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

NY Jim Registered since 11th Feb 2009Wed 27-Oct-10 01:30 AM
69 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: More ISO test shots..."
In response to Reply # 0

Cortlandt Manor, US

Hey Stan -- Very nice idea, and thanks for posting the full-sized images. I am really impressed with the high ISO performance too! I sold my D90 last month, preparing to upgrade to a "better body", and your D7000 shots make me tempted to go for it. I was not happy with even the ISO 1600 shots from my D90, so just for a test I downloaded your D7000 ISO 6400 image and ran it thru a noise reduction program and also tweaked the exposure curve. The result is not nearly as good as your low ISO images, but I can think of situations where the D7000 ISO 6400 would be better than anything else I've tried (and better by perhaps 2 1/2 stops over my D90!!).
I posted my fixed-up image back to flickr, and you can view it at this link for a while: http://www.flickr.com/photos/37111697@N03/?saved=1
Thanks for your work, Stan
NYC Jim

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 27-Oct-10 05:51 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: More ISO test shots..."
In response to Reply # 3

St Petersburg, RU

While I love appreciation, I did not do any good work, the images were found on Flickr and I only provided a link back to them.
If I did have a D7000 I would surely be testing and experimenting now instead of typing;>)

As better controlled images are getting posted by people with more experience, the color, shadow detail, DR, res and base noise is very impressive at high ISO but even more so at 100. A long time D700 user compared with images and concluded that he would use the D700 for portraits but was amazed at how much better the d7000 was for detail and DR for landscapes and will use it for that instead of the D700.
He said in a post that he got the D7000 as light weight backup and was not expecting it to be anything but that and assumed the buzz was mostly hype. He said in another post that after using everything out there, the D7000 was the best DX in existence, and will embarrass a lot of FF cameras on the market, mentioning Canon and Sony specifically.
Overall, I can see a trend of opinion shifting. There was a lot of expectation before the release and a lot of people were very optimistic, myself included. Right after the sample shots were posted from Fotokina a lot of naysayers popped up and complained that it was a dud because soft images and white balance was off.

Most recently, less than 2 weeks into it being introduced into the wild, those who have experience and the camera have been upping the status. The first comparisons were between the D90<>D7000<>D300<60d>
Then it was found by most that the D90, 60 and D300 were not its competition. The low light shots and low ISO images started getting posted and suddenly the competition was the 7d, with a few lonely souls suggesting the D700. From what I see, the D700 is better with NR off at 25k but not the 1 stop that people who have not held the camera claim. A 1 stop down image from the D7000 is a lot better in detail, noise and color than the D700 at 25k from all the many comparison images posted thus far. What is starting to be realized is the images from below ISO 3200 are better than anyone imagined, with useful detail, smooth shadows and wide DR that might place as competitive with any DSLR currently out, except the D3x. I commented after the first serious images were posted a week ago that was I was surprised how much more forgiving the new camera was compared to the D90 at low ISO, a range where the D90 has been king of the hill(except for D3s) since it came out. It was not even comparisons, it was images that should have blown the usable range of current cameras, bright sun in a image for example where the dark shadows revealed detail I would never expect a D90, D300, 7d etc to capture. Something is going on with this camera that bodes well for a very wide range of users and subjects.
A few posters even had the gall to say that once they got used to the focus mode button/wheel, found it faster and more logical than the lever switch on the front of their D300, the reason given by threatened D300 owners as to why the D7000 was not a serious camera and only suitable for beginners.
For sports shooters who want 50 burst 14bit frames, they will be disappointed however. The burst rate seems to have a built in throttle-back at the 11th frame of a burst. But the first 10 will be at 6fps regardless of bit depth, internal processing(even with HI NR and Active D on high) so for the first 10 it is faster than the D300 with or without a grip. We can expect the same processor in the D400 but not throttled so it might be 10fps in all modes and settings.

Despite the great performance and appeal to more demanding users, the majority of new owners so far seem to be beginners with their first DSLR. I doubt there has been a camera as equally appealing to advanced and beginning photographers. If Nikon can ever get its supply network in sync with demand, this one will likely outsell the D90 by a good margin.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1241 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.