Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2094
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Shooting with Auto-ISO" Previous topic | Next topic
csgaraglino Silver Member Charter MemberFri 19-Nov-10 06:37 PM
647 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Shooting with Auto-ISO"

Colorado Springs, US

I was asked a question about my shooting Auto-ISO so I thought I would answer it here as well.

The question:

"My question is have you ever tried auto-iso? If so I have read by a few others in reviews that it selects a really high ISO even if you have a external TTL flash. Which would leave the image overexposed."

My answer:

Hello xxxxxxx,

Take a look at the post I put up this morning.

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=2031&mesg_id=2031&page=#2083

At http://www.flickr.com/photos/outdoorstudios , both Photo 5 and Photo 6 were shoty using a SB900 flash and Auto-ISO.

I do use Auto-ISO on both my D700 and D7000 in certain situations.
Leaving the setting stock out-of-the-box is going to give you issue, so change them.

Here is what I do:

Set my Base ISO (normal every day setting) to the lowest setting; for the D700 it is 200 and the D7000 it is 100.

I shot a couple of images at the higher ISO ranges (like 800 - 1600) and find what my top limit is that I am willing to accept. I set the Maximum ISO to this setting. (typically 800-1000)

Depending on the action going on (basketball, rodeo, etc) and the lens I am using, I will select the minimum shutter speed I will accept. Typically this is 1/250sec.

Now that I have my settings in the system – I just go out and shoot. The system will always use the lowest ISO to achieve the correct exposure based on all my OTHER settings. (ie Shutter/Aperture Priority, EV etc) This includes when using flash. What needs to be taken into consideration is the EV setting on the flash will also affect what ISO the system selects.

Hope this helps!

---
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
Outdoor Studios Photography || on Flickr || on Google+

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
conradcjc Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2010Fri 19-Nov-10 06:50 PM
59 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Shooting with Auto-ISO"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Thank you for the response. I will do as you say in your thread. This helps me out a great deal.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 19-Nov-10 11:37 PM
3148 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Shooting with Auto-ISO"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 19-Nov-10 11:38 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

Such a capable camera, but so much to learn.
I did not realize there was a minimum ISO (the top one).
Thanks, mine was set for 3200 (default?)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2094 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.