Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1275
View in threaded mode

Subject: "d7k non nikon lens issues" Previous topic | Next topic
steved300 Registered since 18th Nov 2007Wed 27-Oct-10 05:55 AM
95 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"d7k non nikon lens issues"

NZ

hi
so what non Nikon lenses have problems on the d7000 without having them re chipped ?

--------------
friends don't let friends pixel peep

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Thu 28-Oct-10 12:11 AM
327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: d7k non nikon lens issues"
In response to Reply # 0

Warsaw, US

Well, I can tell you my Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 works great with my D7k.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Thu 28-Oct-10 03:06 AM
1006 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: d7k non nikon lens issues"
In response to Reply # 0

Swisher, US

I've tried the Sigma 150mm/2.8 APO MACRO DG HSM D and the Tokina 12-24mm/4 ATX PRO DX (version 1). Both worked fine.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

steved300 Registered since 18th Nov 2007Fri 29-Oct-10 02:57 AM
95 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: d7k non nikon lens issues"
In response to Reply # 0

NZ

hi
anyone try the sigma 150-500 os ?

--------------
friends don't let friends pixel peep

erosack Registered since 03rd Apr 2009Sat 30-Oct-10 02:46 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: d7k non nikon lens issues"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I've tried it with the Sigma 150 - 500 OS and it seems to work just fine.

Most of these were made with the D7000 and the Sigma 150-500 lens.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/edrosack/sets/72157625088790675/

Please visit my blog.

Winterfell Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Sat 30-Oct-10 11:13 AM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: d7k non nikon lens issues"
In response to Reply # 4
Sat 30-Oct-10 11:22 AM by Winterfell

Roseville, US

Good to hear that the Bigmos is compatible. Looking forward to pairing the D7000 with that lens.

On my D80, shooting wildlife with the 150-500 OS was always a compromise. At dawn and dusk when the critters are active, getting decent shutter speeds meant cranking up the iso and dealing with grainy washed out colors. I dreaded going beyond ISO 400.

I never had major problems with the autofocus (aside from it hunting when tracking critters that refuse to step out from behind the brush and strike a pose ), but the D7000s autofocus system should help there too. Have you used AF fine tune on that lens? Wondering just how much image quality can be gained from that.

I had the sigma 50 f/1.4 on order with the D7000, but heard of possible autofocus issues with that lens. But that may have been specific to the "must have flawless autofocus during video" cultists. Not a big deal to me personally, but to some this is an important point. AF during video is the big question mark... have you tried your third party lenses with both video and stills?

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 30-Oct-10 12:43 PM
4090 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: d7k non nikon lens issues"
In response to Reply # 4

Alberta, CA

Also nice photos and excellent blog regarding the D7000 Ed!

Have you tried the AF on BIF yet?

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 30-Oct-10 07:18 PM
25006 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: d7k non nikon lens issues"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Steve,

I suspect if there are problems it would likely be with older lenses that have had issues on other bodies as well.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

erosack Registered since 03rd Apr 2009Sun 31-Oct-10 01:20 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: d7k non nikon lens issues"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Hi Steve,

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. I use autofocus on the Sigma all the time. I haven't tried the AF micro adjust. I'll have to look into that, although I don't really notice any problems with autofocus on this lens.

Ed

Please visit my blog.

erosack Registered since 03rd Apr 2009Sun 31-Oct-10 01:26 AM
#9. "RE: d7k non nikon lens issues"
In response to Reply # 5

US

The Sigma 150 - 500 is a compromise. But if you have good light and good technique, it can produce very good images. Dawn and dusk are difficult - I'm looking forward to a bit more usable ISO range for those conditions.

I haven't tried much video yet. I don't know why the AF wouldn't work in video mode. I'll post again if I get a chance.

Ed

Please visit my blog.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 31-Oct-10 01:48 AM
4090 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: d7k non nikon lens issues"
In response to Reply # 8
Sun 31-Oct-10 01:50 AM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

Sorry Ed, I am inquiring about autofocus speed on birds in flight (BIF). There are two aspects - speed and accuracy of initial acquisition and ability to continue tracking accurately as the bird moves across the frame or toward's you?

And welcome to Nikonians by the way!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

erosack Registered since 03rd Apr 2009Sun 31-Oct-10 09:32 AM
#11. "RE: d7k non nikon lens issues"
In response to Reply # 10
Sun 31-Oct-10 09:33 AM by erosack

US

The Sigma 150 - 500 is not my first choice for birds in flight. If I know I'm going for in flight photos I usually use the Nikon 70 - 200 VRII.

The Sigma autofocus speed is slower than the 70-200. Accuracy of initial focus is good, but if it misses, it's hard to gain focus after that. Once it locks on, it will track fairly well. And, of course the extra magnification makes aim and panning more difficult.

Some of this depends on which body you're using and how much practice you've had.

All that said, I use it for birds in flight when it's what's on the camera - and it works. A couple of examples (sorry no D7000 yet):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/edrosack/4376168179/in/set-72157623223995224/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/edrosack/4467275213/in/set-72157623223995224/

Please visit my blog.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 31-Oct-10 03:18 PM
#12. "RE: d7k non nikon lens issues"
In response to Reply # 11

Alberta, CA

Thanks Ed, nice photos. Keep us posted on D7000 BIF!

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Snapshott Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Sep 2007Sat 06-Nov-10 03:24 AM
395 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: d7k non nikon lens issues"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

All me lenses auto focus on my d7000 just fine but my Sigma 150mm and 10-20mm will not auto focus in live view. No problem with live view focusing with my other lenses.

erosack Registered since 03rd Apr 2009Sat 06-Nov-10 07:42 PM
#14. "RE: d7k non nikon lens issues"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Here's an update:

I tried using my Sigma 150 - 500 OS in live view mode on the D7000 and it works. I had to initiate focus with a half press of the shutter, but I think that's as designed.

I also shot a little bit of video and it worked just the same while recording.

Of course, It's a lot slower than phase detect autofocus, and you can hear the focus motor in the audio track, but it did work.

Please visit my blog.

rushers Registered since 19th Oct 2010Sun 07-Nov-10 12:10 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: d7k non nikon lens issues"
In response to Reply # 14

ZA

Has anyone used the new Tamron 70-300mm Di VC USD and had any issues.This lens is high on my current wishlist. Have seen a number of posts regarding the issue with AF in liveview with 3 rd party lenses especially Sigma

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1275 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.