Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3343
View in threaded mode

Subject: "D7000 disappearing images on card" Previous topic | Next topic
rhowen Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2008Wed 15-Dec-10 03:50 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 disappearing images on card"

San Antonio, US

I have been shooting with the D7000 for a couple of weeks and have had problems with disappearing images on two occasions. The lastest occurrence was last night. I've also seen a couple of other people report the same problem on DP Review

I'm shooting with a Sandisk (30mb) 16gb card which have used for thousands of images on my D300s without incident. During the shoot I switched lens and when I got home none of the images taken with the first lens showed up on the card. I had reviewed them while shooting and they showed up fine. I went out today and tried the recreate the problem by switching the lens and everything worked just fine.

I was able to recover the images with Image Rescue but I'm not looking forward to doing this on a regular basis. I'm curious about anyone else that may have experienced this problem.
--
www.bobhowenphotography.com
www.greatrvadventures.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
JP_Greywolf Registered since 13th Dec 2010Wed 15-Dec-10 04:42 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 disappearing images on card"
In response to Reply # 0

Shuswap, CA

Hello,

The first thing to remember in my reply is that I am VERY new to digital cameras in general and have only had my D7000 about two weeks now.

I have discovered that when I brought all of my images into LR 3 from the past few days of shooting I was missing a few images.

Here is how I knew this. I have set both SD cards up to be duplicates of each other...i.e. one card is a backup.

In LR 3 I see the duplicates and realized that this may be a pain to work with. I began to delete the duplicates and then discovered that there were 3 shots from about 34 that did not have a duplicate.

I do not know if that is the same problem you are describing. Just thought I would share that with you.

Jim

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Wed 15-Dec-10 10:24 PM
329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 disappearing images on card"
In response to Reply # 1

Warsaw, US

Hmmm. I use Sandisk 30mb/s 4gb cards and have taken thousands of pictures with them. The other day I was capturing in jpeg (unusual for me) and there were about 10-12 pictures that could not be read by CNX2, LR3 or PSP12. I've never had any dissappear.

marksj Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Aug 2008Thu 16-Dec-10 04:27 PM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 disappearing images on card"
In response to Reply # 0

Long Island, US

I do have a bit of experience in matters digital, so I'd like to ask if the missing files are RAW or JPEG or both?

Do you read the SD card directly from the application (NX2, LR, etc.), or do you first copy the contents of the card to a folder on your computer?

If you use a card reader, have you tried a different one?

Lastly, are these cards well-worn or fairly new? Do you format the cards after each transfer to the computer?

For clarity, I always follow the same procedures in my workflow:

1. New cards always get formatted by camera.
2. Use card reader to connect to computer, then copy all images to an appropriate folder on my computer.
3. Back up the images on computer to a network storage device, before I do any editing.
4. Put card back in camera, and format.
5. First sign of poor/slow performance from SD, CF card or missing files, trash card and replace.

I'm going on over 30 years of experience as a systems programmer/engineer. I have found that flash memory cards to not have the same level of error correction/recovery that computer HD's and other storage forms have. I never completely trust these cards, so I backup to computer often, and never put all of my eggs in one basket, i.e., never use much above 8GB cards.

Hope this helps.

Mark

*D300s/D700/D7000

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3343 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.