Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3087
View in threaded mode

Subject: "*Plunge*" Previous topic | Next topic
ConnorH Registered since 04th Dec 2010Fri 10-Dec-10 11:21 AM
62 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"*Plunge*"
Fri 10-Dec-10 07:35 PM by ConnorH

AU

So after using the D40 happily for four years, I've taken the plunge and chased down a D7000. After a lot of vacillating (D90? D7000? D700?) I ended up back at the d7k, but opted for the AF-D f/2 35mm to go with it in case FX calls me back...

Why stay with DX? I have a brand spanking new 18-200 VRII sitting in the bag, and my photographic ambition far exceeds my ability and available time. So DX it is for now... A no-brainer to the external viewer perhaps, but the like was strong with the full format concept.

My initial impressions of the D7K aren't 100% though. Like others before me, I'm worried about the sharpness. I'll also acknowledge that I haven't given it a fair go in daylight, and hear the argument that the higher pixel count makes it harder to hide poor technique...

So I'll give it a go in full summer sunlight at Luna Park in Sydney tomorrow. Should be good mix - fairground fun, lots of colour and contrast, and small kids being scared witless by a big guy in a red suit.

Wish me luck!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 10-Dec-10 12:21 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: *Plunge*"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>others before me, I'm worried about the sharpness.

Don't worry about it. The in-camera sharpness setting is factory set very conservatively. You can reset it to 7 or 8 with no problems. Plus PP images can stand a good deal of sharpening that my prior cameras couldn't.

Just use good technique (know what you're focussing on), good lenses, and the sharpness of the D7000 will be incredible. You will see details (good and bad) that your D40 couldn't resolve.

Check out the thread on the Ptarmigians... SHARP.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 10-Dec-10 04:39 PM
11301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: *Plunge*"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Congratulations Connor! You have made a great choice. Those worries of sharpness will be short lived. Once you get used to the handling of the camera and get your post processing sharpening dialed in you will be very happy.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

ConnorH Registered since 04th Dec 2010Sat 11-Dec-10 12:42 AM
62 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: *Plunge*"
In response to Reply # 1

AU

>Don't worry about it. The in-camera sharpness setting is
>factory set very conservatively.

I'm surprised at that. I guess they might start off softer for the casual user (speculating), but at the price point ($1650 body only in AUS) I'm guessing there will be more people taking more time over their pictures.

>Plus PP images can stand a good deal of
>sharpening that my prior cameras couldn't.

Thanks, that's interesting and good to know. Not something I really spent a lot of time over with D40 images where contrast and brightness seemed to need more attention.

>Just use good technique (know what you're focussing on),

A good tip - the first section of the manual I read was AF control!

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 11-Dec-10 01:05 AM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: *Plunge*"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I guess they might start off softer for
>the casual user

Actually, it's leaning toward the "pro" user, because you don't want to have too much sharpening "baked in". My D200 was setup very much the same way as my D7000.

Just set your sharpening up to 7 or 8 and it'll be more like what you're more used to.

In addition, color settings are conservative too... I think this is a good thing.

Make sure you're using the largest/best quality JPEG settings as well.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

ConnorH Registered since 04th Dec 2010Sat 11-Dec-10 10:41 AM
#5. "RE: *Plunge*"
In response to Reply # 4

AU

Doesn't seem to be too much wrong with the sharpness.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn39/connorh_photo/DSC_0223c.jpg

ConnorH Registered since 04th Dec 2010Sat 11-Dec-10 10:43 AM
#6. "RE: *Plunge*"
In response to Reply # 4

AU

>Actually, it's leaning toward the "pro" user, because you don't want to have too much sharpening "baked in". My D200 was setup very much the same way as my D7000.

Interesting, thank you.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 11-Dec-10 06:26 PM
4216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: *Plunge*"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

It does look great. Keep the samples coming!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 11-Dec-10 06:26 PM
4216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: *Plunge*"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

It does look great. Keep the samples coming!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Sun 12-Dec-10 01:05 PM
472 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: *Plunge*"
In response to Reply # 8

Lafayette, US

I use the D7000 with the DX 18-200VR lens and the DX F1.8 35mm lens. I have nothing but good tings to say about the camera. Coming from the D40 (which I still use) it is a joy to use. No more hunting and searching for focus with the 18-200 lens. It just shoots and shoots well.

If you wish to see images, you can find them on my SmugMug page. http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

John

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3087 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.