Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1207
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Noob Question" Previous topic | Next topic
tsixtial Registered since 21st Sep 2010Mon 25-Oct-10 05:32 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Noob Question"

US

I had a question about ISO. Is there any way to put the ISO in AUTO when i am using Modes A,S,M?

thANK YOU.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 25-Oct-10 09:17 PM
25659 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Noob Question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi John,

Yes! Go into the camera menu:
Shooting menu >
ISO Sensitivity >
Auto ISO Sensitivity Control > "ON"
Then set the Maximum ISO sensitivity >
and set a Minimum Shutter Speed
See page 103 of the D7000 Users Manual
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 25-Oct-10 09:38 PM
28729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Noob Question"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 25-Oct-10 09:39 PM by briantilley

Paignton, GB

Yes, as Marty says. The degree of control you have is slightly different when ISO Auto is engaged, depending on which mode you are in...

In "A" Mode, you choose an aperture and a base ISO value, and the camera will choose the appropriate shutter speed for the illumination level. If the shutter speed would be slower than the minimum you have set, the camera will raise the ISO and continue to do so if it gets darker until the ISO gets to the maximum you set, then the shutter speed will be reduced below the minimum you set.

In "S" mode, you choose a shutter speed and a base ISO value, and the camera will select the appropriate aperture. If it gets darker and the aperture needed reaches the maximum of the lens, the camera will raise the ISO until it gets to the maximum you set and then it can go no further.

In "M" mode, you choose an aperture and shutter speed, and the camera will select the appropriate ISO, between 100 and the maximum you set.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

tsixtial Registered since 21st Sep 2010Mon 25-Oct-10 10:02 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Noob Question"
In response to Reply # 2

US

thanks for all your help!

tsixtial Registered since 21st Sep 2010Tue 26-Oct-10 12:00 AM
#4. "RE: Noob Question"
In response to Reply # 3

US

This might be another dumb question but is it better to have the ISO in Auto Mode then to have it at a let say 2500 set ISO?

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Tue 26-Oct-10 01:57 AM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Noob Question"
In response to Reply # 4
Tue 26-Oct-10 02:42 AM by jpFoto

US

The short answer is "yes," and the long answer is "maybe." Auto ISO is probably better than setting it at ISO 2500 for no particular reason. ISO 2500 is generally for low light photos, and if you were taking a picture on a sunny day, and forced your camera to use ISO 2500, your picture would show more noise than was necessary considering the lighting conditions and might force you to over expose your picture. It would also limit your ability to control depth of field. I think that some other posters have recommended some books that make this concept more understanable, and would also enhance your appreciation and abilities in the long run. There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Tue 26-Oct-10 04:04 AM
4213 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Noob Question"
In response to Reply # 5

Alberta, CA

To amplify jpFoto, in aperture priority, Auto-ISO gives you the LOWEST POSSIBLE ISO for the minimum shutter speed that you tell the camera you will accept.

Lowest possible ISO means best possible image quality. Ergo Auto-ISO delivers the best possible image quality (for the minimum shutter speed you will accept).

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

tsixtial Registered since 21st Sep 2010Tue 26-Oct-10 05:36 PM
#7. "RE: Noob Question"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Thanks guys for the advise. I will now have to change my ISO settings once i get home from work.

tsixtial Registered since 21st Sep 2010Tue 26-Oct-10 10:52 PM
#8. "RE: Noob Question"
In response to Reply # 7

US

I set my Maz ISO AT 6400 ... what should i set my min. shutter? what is the lowest?

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 26-Oct-10 11:23 PM
25659 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Noob Question"
In response to Reply # 8

US

What lens are you using?
What focal length will you be shooting at?
How good is your hand holding technique?

Best Regards,
Marty

tsixtial Registered since 21st Sep 2010Tue 26-Oct-10 11:48 PM
#10. "RE: Noob Question"
In response to Reply # 9

US

>What lens are you using?
>What focal length will you be shooting at?
>How good is your hand holding technique?
>Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

I use either my 10-24mm or 18-105

focal length would be 40-60mm...

Not sure how good my holding technique is...

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 27-Oct-10 05:43 AM
28729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Noob Question"
In response to Reply # 8

Paignton, GB

You really need to check this out for yourself - hand-holding steadiness is an individual thing, and it also depends whether and how fast your subject is moving.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

tsixtial Registered since 21st Sep 2010Wed 27-Oct-10 02:03 PM
#12. "RE: Noob Question"
In response to Reply # 11

US

>You really need to check this out for yourself - hand-holding
>steadiness is an individual thing, and it also depends whether
>and how fast your subject is moving.

Is there an all around good shutter speed? I assume this wouldnt matter if I use "S" or "M" mode right? The min. shutter speed would be if i used mode "A" correct?

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 27-Oct-10 06:59 PM
#13. "RE: Noob Question"
In response to Reply # 10

US

The Rule of Thumb for Minimum hand held shutter speed with a DX body is:
Minimum Shutter Speed = 1/ 1.5 X Focal Length of Lens
Minimum Shutter Speed = 1/ 1.5 X 60mm
Minimum Shutter Speed = 1/ 90th sec.
With good hand holding technique and or a VR lens the minimum shutter speed can be 1/30th sec. or possibly slower.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1207 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.