Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21173
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Non-responsive shutter" Previous topic | Next topic
pittendrigh Registered since 20th Sep 2011Wed 26-Sep-12 02:22 AM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Non-responsive shutter"
Wed 26-Sep-12 02:22 AM by pittendrigh

Bozeman, US

I spent today photographing shore birds at the edge of a lake. D7000 with F4.5 400mm VR ED lense.

I had AF-C focus mode with "release"
Initially I used CH shutter mode so the camera would shoot bursts of exposures.

A flock of 20 or more Dowitchers gradually wandered so close the camera didn't want to focus. But even when the birds were far enough out the camera wouldn't always shoot when I pressed the trigger. I missed many great shots of birds bathing 12 feet out, preening and shaking their fluffed feathers.

I switched to AF-S mode and set the camera to single exposure (S)
But the Camera was still reluctant to shoot. I found if I changed birds, so the focus was forced to re-adjust, the camera would usually shoot. I must have had some auto-focus combination of settings that did not make sense. What causes this reluctance to shoot, even when the camera seems to be focused?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Wed 26-Sep-12 03:03 AM
659 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Non-responsive shutter"
In response to Reply # 0

Los Angeles, US

Search for an August thread on the same subject. It was titled "Shooting Blanks".

Auto focus is a deep subject.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 26-Sep-12 07:39 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Non-responsive shutter"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Was the lens attempting to focus or just inactive and unresponsive? What the green "focus achieved" light on when trying to trigger? Did another lens result in the same problem? Was trigger mode set to "Release" or "Focus"? Did focusing on a distant object work, 12 feet is pretty close since minimum focusing distance is 3.3meters.
There are a lot of variables unknown by us to offer any more than a wild guess.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

pistnbroke Registered since 01st Jul 2012Wed 26-Sep-12 08:58 AM
58 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Non-responsive shutter"
In response to Reply # 2

GB

Take it home and point at a blank white wall ..it will not focus ....you must have an edge or pattern for it to focus ..use singe centre point AF-S like all the pros do ..focus on an edge and then re frame ....

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 26-Sep-12 09:53 AM
28315 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Non-responsive shutter"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed 26-Sep-12 09:54 AM by briantilley

Paignton, GB

>...use single centre point AF-S like all the pros do...

That's a bit of an exaggeration! All the experienced photographers I know choose their AF settings to suit the subject.

I often use centre-point (with AF-C and the AF-ON button) and re-compose, but it's not the best option in all circumstances. With some types of subject I select an off-centre AF point, or use 9- or 21-point Dynamic area AF.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

pistnbroke Registered since 01st Jul 2012Wed 26-Sep-12 10:01 AM
58 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Non-responsive shutter"
In response to Reply # 4

GB

we can shoot 1000+ pics in a couple of hours no time to hiss about changeing settings !!!

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 26-Sep-12 01:04 PM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Non-responsive shutter"
In response to Reply # 5

St Petersburg, RU

Quantity vs quality? How many are keepers at that rate? Even the best bursts are mostly wasted shots even if one is chosen to keep.
Brian is right, experienced users use tools as needed for the intended results. Some of the best, shoot the least, planning a shot if a slow scene and planning the anticipation if a fast scene. Pro landscape or wildlife shooters spend much more time preparing a shot than shooting.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

pistnbroke Registered since 01st Jul 2012Wed 26-Sep-12 01:12 PM
#7. "RE: Non-responsive shutter"
In response to Reply # 6
Wed 26-Sep-12 01:13 PM by pistnbroke

GB

about 60-70% are keepers but most problems with people blinking/people moveing at low shutter speeds ..usually take 2 of each shot to allow for blink /changing to black and white re cropping...

pittendrigh Registered since 20th Sep 2011Wed 26-Sep-12 01:15 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Non-responsive shutter"
In response to Reply # 2

Bozeman, US

I'm an amateur with a new camera. I didn't even know about the green focus light. The lighting was flat. The birds were wading in glassy gray water almost the same color as themselves. They were very close. The camera may have had trouble finding an edge.

I'll work with these ideas. I'm going back tomorrow.
http://montana-riverboats.com/Uploads/Scratching.jpg

pistnbroke Registered since 01st Jul 2012Wed 26-Sep-12 02:01 PM
#9. "RE: Non-responsive shutter"
In response to Reply # 8

GB

dont let the camera find the edge ..you find it within the central single focus point...then re frame..you shuould have no problem with those feathers but the white chest or water yes you will have a prblem

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21173 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.