Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20567
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Long Exposures (ND 10 Filter) on D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
Otsego Photog Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2012Wed 22-Aug-12 06:21 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Long Exposures (ND 10 Filter) on D7000"

Otsego, US

Does anyone know if there is a problem, if the images sensor, on the D7000 is exposed for time periods of 2.5 minutes to 5.0 minutes for some long exposures, when using a ND 10 Stop filter? I am concerned about temperature rise of the senor itsself, when gathering in information for these long exposure times.
Thanks,
Jack

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Wed 22-Aug-12 07:13 PM
3019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Long Exposures (ND 10 Filter) on D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Raleigh, US

I don't know if it will answer your question, but I found the following discussion about using the D7000 for long exposures in astrophography:

http://theguvnah.blogspot.com/2010/12/nikon-d7000-for-astrophotography.html

Rocky

Otsego Photog Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2012Wed 22-Aug-12 08:51 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Long Exposures (ND 10 Filter) on D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

Otsego, US

Rocky,
Thanks for the quick reply. That is really heady stuff, but I think it answers my question. It sounds like there is not a problem with temperature buildup with the D7000 and long exposures. I'll see if anyone has further info in the next couple days. Again thanks for the info.
Jack

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Thu 23-Aug-12 01:37 AM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Long Exposures (ND 10 Filter) on D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

I have taken a few long exposures with Lee's Big Stopper (10 ND) and have had no issues.

Jason

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Thu 23-Aug-12 02:45 AM
3019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Long Exposures (ND 10 Filter) on D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

Raleigh, US

Just curious, what kind of photos are you guys taking that require such a long exposure and 10 ND filter?

Rocky

Isaac Saunders Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Aug 2012Thu 23-Aug-12 04:56 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Long Exposures (ND 10 Filter) on D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Orrtanna, US

I've gone 4-5 minutes many times on mine and it still performs flawlessly. I've never done it with a ND filter. All mine were done at dusk/night while light painting.

Isaac Saunders Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Aug 2012Thu 23-Aug-12 04:58 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Long Exposures (ND 10 Filter) on D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

Orrtanna, US

I've done roughly 4-5 minute exposures doing light painting. All at Anteitam National Battlefield. It was with a low light photography class. Lots of fun and a great experience!

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Thu 23-Aug-12 11:43 AM
743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Long Exposures (ND 10 Filter) on D7000"
In response to Reply # 6

Port Charlotte, US

5-minute exposures shouldn't cause any issues, but make sure to turn on the long exposure noise reduction feature of the D7000. With long exposure NR turned on, the D7000 takes a second "blank" long exposure to get a mask of the hot pixels and then subtracts that mask from the original exposures to eliminate hot pixels. Even then you may still have a few hot pixels to deal with.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Otsego Photog Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2012Fri 24-Aug-12 06:55 PM
#8. "RE: Long Exposures (ND 10 Filter) on D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

Otsego, US

Rocky,
I first started shooting landscapes images with waterfalls, streams and lakes with the 10 stop ND and the polarizer under the ND. In some readings, I understood that the exposues times would be upto 1000 times the normal exposure without the ND filter. In my cal. that equated to 2min & 30 sec give or take. From my first shoot with the ND the results were what I was looking for with the water surfaces being very very smooth. Did some reading after that shoot and came across some ND Filter Charts that suggested that for a 1/60 exposure I only need a exposure time if 15sec. Now I am confussed, so tomorrow morning I am out again for some test shoot at the numbers that are on the ND Chart to see what the results will be.

The procedure for using the ND fitler is a bit diffcult (firstexposure, set polizer to desired strength, then change to manual mode and do not move anything and add the ND, using Bulb and do not move anything, take the picture) but it seems to work.

One thing that I was thinking about the polizer does add a couple stops does it not? Therefore, I may be really shooting with a 11 - 12 stop filtering, right?

If you have any help please, I am still learning a lot with each shoot and want to get better.

Jack

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Fri 24-Aug-12 08:44 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Long Exposures (ND 10 Filter) on D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

Toronto, CA

I have taken almost exclusively landscape photos invoking water (falls or shores) or sky (clouds).

Jason

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20567 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.