Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #12131
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Auto bracketing" Previous topic | Next topic
wcnikonian Registered since 06th Oct 2009Wed 21-Sep-11 03:05 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Auto bracketing"

US

Is it possible to set the D7000 to do more than three shots in bracketing? How do I set it? Thanks

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Wed 21-Sep-11 06:33 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Auto bracketing"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Sorry, but three is all you get in a single burst. You may consider changing the base exposure compensation in between a pair of bursts. For a static scene this could give you six shots evenly spaced.

As an example, you could shoot a 3 exposure bracket at 2EV spacing and then dial in a -1EV compensation and shoot the second bracket set. this will yield exposures of -2 0 +2 and -3 -1 +1. Sorted {-3 -2 -1 0 +1 +2} this gives a bias towards exposing to bring out highlight detail. You could also choose base compensations of 0EV and +1EV to bias towards exposing for shadow detail where you would get exposures of {-2 -1 0 +1 +2 +3}.

I have one of my U slots set up for landscape bracketing and can fire off the first set, spin the exposure three clicks and fire off the second set without looking at the controls. Someone else also suggested setting each one of the U positions to accommodate this same sort of scheme by only moving the mode dial one position.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

wcnikonian Registered since 06th Oct 2009Wed 21-Sep-11 01:41 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Auto bracketing"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks, very helpful suggestion.

michalaase Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Thu 22-Sep-11 11:37 PM
46 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Auto bracketing"
In response to Reply # 1

Karasjok, NO

«…Someone else also suggested setting each one of the U positions to accommodate this same sort of scheme by only moving the mode dial one position.…»

This is how I done just that;
U1 = BKT 3F 1.0 with exposure compensation -2EV
U2 = exactly same, but with exposure compensation +1EV

This way I can have a 6 shot bracketing series; -3, -2, -1, 0, +1 and +2 EV just by moving the mode wheel 1 step. -and it really works fine for me !

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Fri 23-Sep-11 12:05 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Auto bracketing"
In response to Reply # 3

Phoenix, US

Great, Michal. I know your method is simple and easy to use but I'd rather not tie up both U1 and U2 for HDR. By using just one of the U positions I can leave it at a base exposure of 0EV so I can use it for standard bracketing purposes also. When I want to get 6 shots for HDR I will change the EV spacing from 1.0 to 2.0 and I'm ready to go. Both methods will work but consider the ways in which you may want to use your U positions with the amount of HDR you are shooting as this is certainly a user preference.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

scrumpy Silver Member Charter MemberMon 26-Sep-11 07:51 PM
185 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Auto bracketing"
In response to Reply # 4

Calne, GB

Thanks, guys. Two excellent suggestions, I will try both and see which works best for me...

Cheers!

Lee

wrgh089330 Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Dec 2010Thu 01-Dec-11 12:18 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Auto bracketing"
In response to Reply # 1

Hollywood, US

Good fix,Dean. Thanks.

paddlenut Registered since 08th Oct 2011Tue 06-Dec-11 02:25 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Auto bracketing"
In response to Reply # 6

belmar, US

I love this site..great ideas
thanks

Joseph Bautsch Registered since 15th Oct 2009Wed 05-Sep-12 08:34 AM
63 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Auto bracketing"
In response to Reply # 7

Marietta, US

I hope you are only changing the shutter speed with those EV settings and not the aperture. If you are changing the aperture then you are also changing the depth of field with each shot and in some circumstances you can wind up with a not so sharp HDR photo. I would recommend locking in the aperture and let the camera make the EV exposures using shutter speed.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Wed 05-Sep-12 11:39 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Auto bracketing"
In response to Reply # 1

Kingston, CA

>I have one of my U slots set up for landscape bracketing and
>can fire off the first set, spin the exposure three clicks and

I think I understand this... you are shooting in M mode then, right?

Great advice by the way in this thread.

Peter

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Thu 06-Sep-12 05:01 AM
#10. "RE: Auto bracketing"
In response to Reply # 9

Phoenix, US

No, Peter, I use A-priority mode for bracketed sets. The camera varies the shutter speed to achieve the appropriate exposure setting. I've never actually tried bracketing in M mode. I don't think it will work unless it varies the ISO??? Not a good plan for HDR in my opinion.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Thu 06-Sep-12 11:56 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Auto bracketing"
In response to Reply # 10

Kingston, CA

>No, Peter, I use A-priority mode for bracketed sets. The
>camera varies the shutter speed to achieve the appropriate
>exposure setting.

Yes, OK, A priority makes sense to me.

But I am having difficulty understanding the change made in between the two sets of three exposures. I would think that if you are in anything but manual, and you spin the dial three clicks in between both sets of 3 bracketed exposures, wouldn't the three sets be identical in terms of variations around the correct exposure?

>I've never actually tried bracketing in M
>mode. I don't think it will work unless it varies the ISO???
>Not a good plan for HDR in my opinion.

I have zero experience with bracketing... I would think that one would want to vary shutter and/or ISO and leave aperture unchanged during bracketing. This would maintain consistent depth of field (and perhaps focal length too as that varies a bit with aperture).

Time for me to learn this and give it a try!

Cheers,
Peter

My gallery (a work in progress): http://peterstokes.net/Exhibit

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Thu 06-Sep-12 01:00 PM
#12. "RE: Auto bracketing"
In response to Reply # 11
Thu 06-Sep-12 01:00 PM by DeanAZ

Phoenix, US

In A-mode, you fix the aperture for all of the multiple shots. When I say to spin the exposure I am referring to the exposure compensation button on the top of the camera and the spin part is the rear command dial. The setting here determines the base exposure for the 3 shot bracket and the bracket feature then varies the shutter speed to under expose, normal expose and over expose.

Don't change the aperture as the perspective will vary.
Don't change the ISO as you will introduce more noise than you want.
Don't change the zoom.
Don't change the focus point and instead lock it in, you're on a tripod shooting a landscape, right?

Give it a try...

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Fri 07-Sep-12 01:33 AM
#13. "RE: Auto bracketing"
In response to Reply # 12

Kingston, CA

>When I say to spin the exposure I am referring to the
>exposure compensation button

That clears up my confusion, thanks!

Peter

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #12131 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.