Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22392
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Operation of Fn Button for CW Metering?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
This message is locked.
Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Thu 29-Nov-12 09:12 PM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Operation of Fn Button for CW Metering?"

Los Angeles, US

When you configure the Fn button for CW metering, does that take effect after letting go of the Fn button, or must you continue to hold it in? That would then mean you have to depress that button along with the Shutter Button to get the metering mode you want.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 29-Nov-12 09:51 PM
28729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Operation of Fn Button for CW Metering?"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

With those settings, Centre-weighted metering is activated only while the Fn button is pressed. So, you do need to keep it pressed while you also press the Shutter Release.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Thu 29-Nov-12 10:38 PM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Operation of Fn Button for CW Metering?"
In response to Reply # 1

Los Angeles, US

That is disappointing. The reason I asked about concerns the need for CW or Spot metering in conjunction with a flash. In order to get TTl mode (not TTl-BL) I wanted a quick way to shift camera metering to coordinate with TTl on a speedlight in the camera hotshoe.

You know, the whole subject of Nikon CLS lighting is marvelous, but intricate and baffling.
I know that if I select CW or Spot metering on the camera through menus or the metering button and rear command wheel, a mounted strobe can't be configured for TTl-BL.

But that is real slow. And I thought I'd read in the mountain of CLS literature here in my room that setting the SB800 to TTl (not BL) would shift camera metering simultaneously. You know, the strobe talks to the camera, and the camera talks to the strobe.

I was mistaken. I wanted TTl and yet in my shots got a lot of unwanted ambient light with an odd color. So, even though the strobe was set to TTl, it exposed for ambient light. Which, it shouldn't do in true TTl.

A few folks, including Thom Hogan, advise that setting EV +/- or flash modes is quicker on the flash itself than through the camera menus or buttons. Any thoughts?

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Thu 29-Nov-12 10:53 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Operation of Fn Button for CW Metering?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>That is disappointing. The reason I asked about concerns the
>need for CW or Spot metering in conjunction with a flash. In
>order to get TTl mode (not TTl-BL) I wanted a quick way to
>shift camera metering to coordinate with TTl on a speedlight
>in the camera hotshoe.

Can't you just change the mode on the Speedlight, pressing "mode" to cycle from TTL-BL to TTL?

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Thu 29-Nov-12 11:12 PM
#4. "RE: Operation of Fn Button for CW Metering?"
In response to Reply # 3

Los Angeles, US

The camera has to be set to the matching metering mode. And I thought I read that the adjusting the flash would simultaneously shift camera metering.

Again, my purpose was to eliminate any ambient light. That's why I set the shutter to a high speed. And an ISO of 200.

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Thu 29-Nov-12 11:19 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Operation of Fn Button for CW Metering?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Bear in mind that I'm one level above retard on the Nikon-knowledge scale, but: I have my D7000 set to CW metering. Tossed a flash on, and can use the mode button on the flash to select between TTL and TTL BL, and the meter mode displayed in the LCD doesn't change. Same if I set the body to spot metering.

Isn't this what you want to have happen, or have I gone to the train station to look for departing flights again?

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Fri 30-Nov-12 10:54 PM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Operation of Fn Button for CW Metering?"
In response to Reply # 2
Sat 01-Dec-12 07:33 AM by gfinlayson

Maidenhead, GB

>That is disappointing. The reason I asked about concerns the
>need for CW or Spot metering in conjunction with a flash. In
>order to get TTl mode (not TTl-BL) I wanted a quick way to
>shift camera metering to coordinate with TTl on a speedlight
>in the camera hotshoe.
>
>You know, the whole subject of Nikon CLS lighting is
>marvelous, but intricate and baffling.
>I know that if I select CW or Spot metering on the camera
>through menus or the metering button and rear command wheel, a
>mounted strobe can't be configured for TTl-BL.
>
>But that is real slow. And I thought I'd read in the mountain
>of CLS literature here in my room that setting the SB800 to
>TTl (not BL) would shift camera metering simultaneously. You
>know, the strobe talks to the camera, and the camera talks to
>the strobe.
>
>I was mistaken. I wanted TTl and yet in my shots got a lot of
>unwanted ambient light with an odd color. So, even though the
>strobe was set to TTl, it exposed for ambient light. Which, it
>shouldn't do in true TTl.
>
>A few folks, including Thom Hogan, advise that setting EV +/-
>or flash modes is quicker on the flash itself than through the
>camera menus or buttons. Any thoughts?

You've made an incorrect assumption about CW there. TTL-BL DOES work in CW mode. CW does still meter the whole frame, but biases the exposure towards the centre, therefore balanced fill is still possible.

If you set the flash to TTL-BL with the camera in matrix or CW, and then switch the camera to spot metering, the flash will default to straight TTL. However, changing the flash from TTL-BL to TTL or vice versa does not change the camera's chosen metering mode.

If you want to switch between TTL and TTL-BL, the best way to do it is on the flash. You can then choose your metering mode to suit the scene and your creative intentions.

Bear in mind also that +/- EV on the camera is global, i.e. it affects both flash and ambient exposure. +/- EV on the flash only adjusts the flash exposure.

If I want to use flash as my sole means of exposure, I set the camera in manual at 1/250, choose my aperture, check that I'm under exposing plenty and then set the flash to TTL (or set the flash to manual and adjust the output to the right exposure).

For balanced fill, I'll usually set my ambient exposure to where I want it (manual or exposure comp), then set the flash in TTL and adjust the flash exposure to get the result I want.

TTL-BL lets the camera/flash take control and for me that's just like shooting in AUTO. You're giving up creative decision making to your camera, and while the camera might be clever, it's not as clever as you!

I highly recommend 'The Hot Shoe Diaries' by Joe McNally as a great way to learn about the creative side of CLS. It's written in a light-hearted, entertaining and non-technical way and is liberally sprinkled with practical examples.

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Sat 01-Dec-12 12:47 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Operation of Fn Button for CW Metering?"
In response to Reply # 4

Newburg, US

When you explored this same issue in the Speedlight forum, Russ MacDonald recommended that you read his CLS blog. Joe McNally's book is also good, but I believe Russ' blog will get you to a thorough understanding of how Nikon's CLS works faster than anything else. If you haven't read through Russ's blog yet you really should. You will quickly be able to achieve what you're trying to do with the flash.

http://nikonclspracticalguide.blogspot.com/2008/01/nikon-flash-two-separate-metering.html

Visit my gallery.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 01-Dec-12 01:12 PM
28729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Operation of Fn Button for CW Metering?"
In response to Reply # 7

Paignton, GB

Since this question is now more about the configuration and use of flash, I suggest we make any further replies in the pre-existing thread over in our Speedlights and Lighting Forum.

Thanks!

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22392 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.