Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20990
View in threaded mode

Subject: "What have I done????!!! My camera is under-exposing whe..." Previous topic | Next topic
le gamin Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2012Mon 17-Sep-12 04:51 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What have I done????!!! My camera is under-exposing when I bracket"

Parksville, British Columbia, CA

Hi all,

I have bracketed shots before with success, but suddenly all of my shots are under-exposed by -2eV. What can I do to remedy this problem?

Thanks in advance for your advice?

David

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
OldITGeek Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2011Mon 17-Sep-12 04:26 PM
130 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What have I done????!!! My camera is under-exposing when I bracket"
In response to Reply # 0

Mississauga, CA

Check your settings, you can have it set at -2ev and bracket 1/3ev so all 3 Are under exposed.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Tue 18-Sep-12 04:52 PM
669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What have I done????!!! My camera is under-exposing when I bracket"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue 18-Sep-12 04:52 PM by Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US

You are aware, aren't you, that EC +/- compensation continues when you shut off the camera and then turn it on again?

To verify, push the little EC button (to the rear-right of the on/off switch). Push it and see in the Control Panel where a + or - factor shows in the window.

Following my abysmal first outing with my new D7000 at a picnic, I reviewed the data on all the images. I had an exposure setting of -1.7 inadvertently left in the camera after a previous outing. I now have a little checklist on an index card in my camera bag.

The first item of 6 things to check is " EC +/- " And I hope you are aware that EC on the camera body accumulates with EC on a speedlight. Including speedlight EC set through menus for the Pop-Up flash.

le gamin Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2012Sun 23-Sep-12 02:29 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What have I done????!!! My camera is under-exposing when I bracket"
In response to Reply # 1

Parksville, British Columbia, CA

Problem solved!

For the most part since I bought the camera I have set the exposure mode to Manual. I did this to slow myself down and make me decide why I wanted a particular aperture/shutter speed combination. After reading some articles it occurred to me that I could choose which aperture I wanted and then decide the shutter speed. What I did not realize at the time (I can be really stupid at times) that I would have to set the shutter speed.
Today I tried again, and I noticed that with an aperture setting of f/16 the image in the woods was going to be really underexposed (DUH!). I had not paid attention to the obvious, that I would have to set the shutter speed. So I set the shutter speed and voila! it worked.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20990 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.