Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #14140
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Stiff rotary power switch on D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
vladman Registered since 25th Jun 2009Fri 09-Dec-11 10:47 AM
27 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Stiff rotary power switch on D7000"

London, GB

Hi, I've done a search, both here on the forum, and on Google, and haven't found anything regarding this...

My power switch on my D7000 has become increasingly stiff and difficult to rotate between the On, Off and Illumination positions. It was fine when I first got the camera, about a year ago.

I've never spilled anything on it, nor has it ever been exposed to any excessive dust or dirt or anything like that.

The switch is really stiff and it's impossible to rotate it smoothly, it sticks and if I turn it to the Illumination position, it doesn't rotate back as it should.

I even tried, very carefully, introducing a droplet of silicone based lubricant in between the body and the ring of the switch, but it hasn't really helped.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Vlad.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 09-Dec-11 03:17 PM
8514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Stiff rotary power switch on D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

This is the first case I have heard of that issue. It is possible the switch if broken. Sounds like service is required to replace the switch.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Fri 09-Dec-11 08:28 PM
3299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Stiff rotary power switch on D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

I hope the Silicon lube does not migrate into the switch contacts, or it will likely have to be replaced. A special lube is available for switch and control shafts, produced by Caig Labratories called "MCL" that will lube and deoxidize at the same time. The main causes of stiffing control/switch shafts is lube drying out due to dirt, which introduces corrosion on the shaft or bushing.
Don't use any sort of solvent or else the problem will quickly get worse. Since it under warranty, if you plan to send it in for warranty service, don't add any sort of lube or cleaners or they might disallow warranty claims. They would not know what was put into the camera, since it would still be wet, they would probably assume it was contaminated by a spill of something.
If you wanted to do it yourself to save the costs if they would not cover it, you can order the part and replace it if you are handy with tiny screws. The switch has a flex wiring assembly attached that is not hard to plug into the female connector..no soldering needed., only about an hour disassemble and assembly time.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

vladman Registered since 25th Jun 2009Sat 10-Dec-11 12:52 PM
27 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Stiff rotary power switch on D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

London, GB

Stan,

Thanks for your reply. I only introduced a very small droplet (sprayed a toothpick until a droplet formed at the tip, then touched it to the small gap between the ring of the switch and the body, and wiped the excess), so hopefully it won't have done any damage.

I don't know how this would've happened though as I take care of my camera, it lives in a proper camera bag when not used, and when I am using it, I'm treating it with care, and I haven't been taking pictures in any sort of excessively dusty, dirty or moist environments. Also, I don't constantly switch my camera on and off when I'm using it, I pretty much switch it on once, and then off either when the battery needs to be replaced or when I come back home from holiday and want to transfer the pictures to my computer, so the switch hasn't even seen any kind of excessive usage.

I'm not sure I want to void the warranty by attempting to do it myself (even though it sounds like a fun little project), so I'll probably try and go down the warranty route first.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 10-Dec-11 08:26 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Stiff rotary power switch on D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

US

>I don't know how this would've happened though as I take care
>of my camera, it lives in a proper camera bag when not used,
>and when I am using it, I'm treating it with care, and I
>haven't been taking pictures in any sort of excessively dusty,
>dirty or moist environments.

This just sounds like something was slightly amiss in assembly (the placement of the weather sealing gasket?).

I'd send it to Nikon, and not do anything more yourself.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #14140 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.