Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22635
View in threaded mode

Subject: "what to do" Previous topic | Next topic
littleaddictsl Registered since 04th Oct 2012Sun 16-Dec-12 03:47 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"what to do"

CA

Hi. My first question on this forum, new to the D7000 and and DSLR, back into photography after 15yr break from my 1980 Canon A1 what can I work on this time of year (Southern Ontario Canada

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
littleaddictsl Registered since 04th Oct 2012Sun 16-Dec-12 04:11 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: what to do"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

dont know why full questint did noy show, D7000 with 17-55 and 70-210f4 and tripod

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Sun 16-Dec-12 01:27 PM
1556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: what to do"
In response to Reply # 1

Bogor, ID

Welcome to the Nikonians.
What is your question?
W i l l

Nikonian in Bogor, West Java
www.willsymonds.com
www.willsymonds.blogspot.com
http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=123586

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Sun 16-Dec-12 01:46 PM
1452 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: what to do"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 16-Dec-12 05:04 PM by four eighty sparky

US

>Hi. My first question on this forum. I'm new to the D7000 and and
>DSLR. I'm back into photography after 15-yr break from my 1980
>Canon A1. What can I work on this time of year? (Southern
>Ontario Canada)

First. Sit down with the camera & manual, read it through (twice) and get familiar with all the buttons, dials, settings, etc.

Second: go forth and actuate.

Third, post some of your results here for critique.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 16-Dec-12 04:45 PM
11279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: what to do"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Welcome to Nikonians John!

Congratulations on your new D7000! It is a great camera.

The fun thing with digital is that you can shoot a lot and get instant feedback. Get out and shoot and experiment as much as possible. Then come back to Nikonians with any specific questions, we are here to help.

Check out our subject specific forums (wildlife, landscape, macro, etc.) for inspiration and information. We have a great forum for Critique, Artistic & Technical Advice.

The English Café is a great place for general friendly conversation.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Sun 16-Dec-12 05:47 PM
1724 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: what to do"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

Congratulations you've selecteda great camera!

1) Purchase the book "Mastering the Nikon D7000" by Darrel Young - read it and use it as a guide to set up your 7000.
2) Go to the English Cafe Forum on this site and look up 100 photographs. It'll give you a number of ideas for projects - both indoors and outdoors.
3) Go to "Online Photo Assignments" in the Image Sharing forum on this site. You can partiipate in a monthly assignment that generally proves to be challenging and tests your imagination.
4) Just get out and expose 1000 images over the next month and really get to know your camera.

Have Fun!

Tom

littleaddictsl Registered since 04th Oct 2012Sun 16-Dec-12 06:55 PM
#6. "RE: what to do"
In response to Reply # 5

CA

Sory for a horrible first post, long week a coulple glasses of wine and no glasses. I have the book and have gone through the camera and operations. My question was ment to be, what to work on when I am stuck to the house as it is dark when I get home.

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Sun 16-Dec-12 07:46 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: what to do"
In response to Reply # 6

US

>Sory for a horrible first post, long week a coulple glasses
>of wine and no glasses. I have the book and have gone through
>the camera and operations. My question was ment to be, what to
>work on when I am stuck to the house as it is dark when I get
>home.

Oooh. My suggestion: purchase a used Speedlite from the "Selling" forum, and get started on off-camera flash work. There's a whole world there to investigate, and the dark times are good for that.

Read through the Speedlite forum, especially the "stickied" posts. There's a wealth of knowledge to get you started.

Congrats on the great camera!

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 16-Dec-12 08:25 PM
11279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: what to do"
In response to Reply # 6
Sun 16-Dec-12 08:30 PM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

In the post above Tom mentioned the our monthly Online Photo Assignments. The assignments are themed so you can get some ideas from looking at some of the past assignments. A lot of the themes work well for indoor photography.

Here is the post for "100 photos that everyone should take while they learn the art of photography." The list of photo ideas is in reply #4.

The short, cold, dark days of winter are also a great time to learn your post processing tools and brush up on Printing and Color management.

PS It will help us to help you if you can fill in the rest of your profile. It can give us a good idea of your experience level, your primary photographic interest and the equipment that you have available.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

littleaddictsl Registered since 04th Oct 2012Sun 16-Dec-12 08:47 PM
#9. "RE: what to do"
In response to Reply # 8

CA

Thanks for the links, lots of info there, I plan to get a speedlight after Christmas.

littleaddictsl Registered since 04th Oct 2012Sun 16-Dec-12 08:53 PM
#10. "RE: what to do"
In response to Reply # 9

CA

I plan to work on getting around the lightroom 4 on the holidays. just have not had the time to use it, so far just loading pictures
Thanks

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Sun 16-Dec-12 09:13 PM
2828 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: what to do"
In response to Reply # 0

Milton, CA

When you say it's dark when you get home, I guess you mean home from work? If you are mobile and can get out of the house after dark, then drive around and shoot people's homes that are decorated with Christmas lights. This will really test your low light photography skills. And some homes look really beautiful this time of the year.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

littleaddictsl Registered since 04th Oct 2012Mon 17-Dec-12 01:40 AM
#12. "RE: what to do"
In response to Reply # 11

CA

Good Idea Rassie, Thanks

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 17-Dec-12 05:53 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: what to do"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

We have a few things in common. I started with digital after years of inactivity, and having used a A1 for decades. You have a distinct advantage over most who get their first DSLR, namely, knowing about the fundamentals of all photography; light, time and color which were learned from using manual focus film cameras. Most newcomers to DSLR modern cameras are trying to work out what is exposure is or what DOF is and why is it important. So you will progress very quickly, having that head start.
But the D7000 is a complex camera, there are many user adjustable parameters, any one of them can cause unexpected results. There are some terms that will be unfamiliar but all the basics are just as you would expect from using the A1. There is only one disadvantage moving from film to the D7000, manual focus is much less accurate using the viewfinder because digital cameras do not have the microprism or split screen focusing screens. MF on good film cameras was a joy, fast and accurate. The D7000 however has an answer, the LiveView that allows the rear monitor to zoom in on details for manual focus. It is used most effectively on a tripod instead of handheld.

What to do in the winter? Get gloves and scarf? Actually, indoor shooting will be more effective than you are used to with ASA 100 and 400 film. You have decent dynamic range at an equivalent ASA 6400!
But as with film, low ISO is where the camera really shines. The manual is probably enough to get you up and running. Experiment with some of the features one at a time.
The camera will become productive for you almost immediately but the second half of photography with digital is that you have to post process your files , something that most people left to developing labs in the color film days. Learning post processing can be a steep learning curve, particularly is you choose to use very comprehensive programs like Adobe PhotoShop CS6. It is as complex and powerful as you make it. Luckily there are probably 50 good books and video courses on learning to use it.
If you run into some problem that is not explained in the manual, just as on the forum. There is a lot of accumulated knowledge about the D7000 on this forum.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Mon 17-Dec-12 04:11 PM
489 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: what to do"
In response to Reply # 9

Simcoe, CA

Hi. Great camera - I turned in my D80 for the D7000 and havent'looked back, not that D80 wasn't great for its time (lots of memories shared).

All comments so far I ditto. I do have two SB-600's for sale at $200 each and are in VGC. They include the Sto-Fen rectangular diffuser and flash stand and case. THere is nothing wrong with them it just that I am getting out of the studio/portait interests of my hobby and don't need the extra flashes. I have an ad in the Want to sell in Canada forum. I'm located SW of Hamilton.

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Mon 17-Dec-12 04:25 PM
489 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: what to do"
In response to Reply # 9
Mon 17-Dec-12 04:29 PM by mjhach

Simcoe, CA

I've added these low light High ISO shots from the cottage to give you an idea of the low noise capability. These are not cropped but have been processed with DxO software. By the way, that's moonlight illuminating the scene.

This is 0.3EV over 6400, f/9, 15s, 35mm f1.8 @ 35mm.

This is ISO 2500, 18-200 @ 18mm, f/3.5 and 1.6s.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Tue 18-Dec-12 05:19 PM
4407 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: what to do"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 18-Dec-12 05:20 PM by jdroach

Milwaukee, US

All the suggestions in this discussion thread should help you generate a "to do" list. That is essential--and set some goals that you check off as you go. Make yourself a list of many things that involve study, getting to know your camera by using it, refresh your knowledge of principles of photography, read, practice to get to know your camera, try new things, take an online photography course, or one at the local junior college, join a photo club, learn how to use digital post processing software, etc. On bleak cold and wet days when it doesn't make sense to go out and freeze, go get some flowers from the grocery store or florist and start learning how to photograph them in available light and artificial light. That might brighten your day and it sure teaches a lot about light and image making. You also can surprise yourself with images that you can create around the house such as being "Home by the Fire on a Cold Day!

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

littleaddictsl Registered since 04th Oct 2012Wed 19-Dec-12 01:18 AM
#17. "RE: what to do"
In response to Reply # 16

CA

All good stuff, it should keep me going for a while.
Thanks

hnagy Registered since 02nd Feb 2013Sun 10-Feb-13 06:04 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: what to do"
In response to Reply # 15

Cairo, EG

The diagonal reflections on the river are very symmetric and nice

hnagy Registered since 02nd Feb 2013Sun 10-Feb-13 06:33 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: what to do"
In response to Reply # 16

Cairo, EG

Wowwww, this really shows the difference between "looking" and "seeing".

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22635 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.