Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21327
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Maximizing memory usage (for me)" Previous topic | Next topic
le gamin Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2012Thu 04-Oct-12 04:16 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Maximizing memory usage (for me)"

Parksville, British Columbia, CA

Hi All,

I prefer, at least for the time being, to record images as RAW files. I dump the JPEGS. I do this for a variety of reasons, the main one being I want to "start at the beginning and slowly work my way through each image and learn what is happening at each step to the process.

I am not interested at all, at this time, in even recording JPEG files. I have set my second memory card to overflow. But the camera is still storing JPEGS. I am heading off for a short vacation which will have many opportunities to take photos. But I will not be able to process them until I return. I am trying to maximize the use of my memory cards.

Any suggestions as to how I can remove the JPEGs being recorded? Failing that, I will have no computer, and will need to edit the memory in camera. Any suggestions or guidance on this matter, would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
David

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
JosephK Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Thu 04-Oct-12 04:41 AM
3758 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Maximizing memory usage (for me)"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

See pages 85-88 of the English manual. Sounds like you currently have the camera configured to save both the NEF and the JPG files when you just want the NEF files.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

le gamin Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2012Thu 04-Oct-12 06:45 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Maximizing memory usage (for me) (Thanks Joseph)"
In response to Reply # 1

Parksville, British Columbia, CA

Hi Joseph,

I thought that I had suppressed usage of JPEG files. But I had not. Your reply prompted me to go back and check what my configuration was, and sure enough it was RAW+JPEG. I did switch the configuration, but I forgot to confirm it. Thanks so much for your reply, I really appreciate it.

David

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Fri 05-Oct-12 07:08 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Maximizing memory usage (for me) (Thanks Joseph)"
In response to Reply # 2

St Petersburg, RU

If memory is not too tight, consider recording JPGs if you are developing a workflow. By having both images up, a rendered NEF file and its JPG at the same time you can see if you are improving on the really good JPG rendering engine in the camera. Using LR or Photoshop will mean you will start with pretty different versions of the same image. If you are using Nikon software, they display the rendered NEF file with all the camera settings in effect so keeping a JPG is not needed.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21327 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.