Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20245
View in threaded mode

Subject: "D7000 Reset needed?" Previous topic | Next topic
deegeepenryn Registered since 05th Aug 2012Sun 05-Aug-12 02:57 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 Reset needed?"

GB

Hi everyone. New here as I am urgently in need of advice. I have had my D7000 for 18months and have been very pleased with it, however, today I did something stupid! I turned it off accidently when it was deleting an image and now it will not immediately turn off using the On/Off button?
The sequence is something like:
1. Remove battery and leave for 5minutes
2. Replace battery
3. Turn on - the display screen comes alive and is lit up
4. Turn off - the display screen remains alive and lit up
5. Remains lit for around 70 secs and then reverts to normal "off" mode.

Questions:
a. Should I worry?
b. Can I reset the camera?

Hoping for a swift answer as I have an event coming up this Wednesday!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
ChrisPlatt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2011Sun 05-Aug-12 03:24 PM
515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 Reset needed?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Have you tried reformatting the memory card before you try to turn it off? I suspect you corrupted the file structure on the SD card when you turned it off during a write operation. If you can't format it, try removing the memory card/cards and then cycling it through the on off cycle. It may be trying to close files on the card when you turn it off and is unable to do it.

Visit my gallery.

deegeepenryn Registered since 05th Aug 2012Sun 05-Aug-12 09:16 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 Reset needed?"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

Just tried to reformat the offending card in Slot 1 and it would not allow it, so I removed the card and the camera now turns off OK !!
Putting the card back in I can now reformat OK.
Many thanks for the swift response Chris.
Cheers DeeGee

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Sun 12-Aug-12 06:38 PM
337 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 Reset needed?"
In response to Reply # 2

Netanya, IL

I had a similar problem when in Africa in January: the D7000 would not turn off and I had to remove the SD in Slot 1 each time. Further on down the road, it started giving me incorrect messages about the status of the SD card, such as "card full", which it wasn't. Changing the card didn't help, but working with Slot 2 only, I managed to finish the trip and get home with all my shots intact.

I assumed there was something wrong with Slot 1 and took the body to the Nikon lab. A few days later, the technician called to say that I could pick it up. When I did, I was told that there would be no charge as all he had done was to reset the camera.

Since then, no problems.

A friend who had heard my story had what he thought was a malfunctioning lens on his D300S and reset the camera. And, hey presto, all was well thereafter.

Conclusion, and in answer to the opening question in this thread, yes and it might even be a good idea to do so from time to time, particularly before a big trip to save potential heartache.

Nathan

jayshirley Registered since 06th May 2012Mon 13-Aug-12 12:51 AM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 Reset needed?"
In response to Reply # 3

Durham, US

Yeah, reset rules.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Mon 13-Aug-12 01:35 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 Reset needed?"
In response to Reply # 3

Kingston, CA

>as all he had done was to reset
>the camera.

Did he say how he reset the camera? There may be service, self test, and reset modes that one can enter into if one knows how. They would be great to know.

Peter

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Mon 13-Aug-12 06:48 AM
337 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 Reset needed?"
In response to Reply # 5

Netanya, IL

He didn't spell it out and I didn't ask but, if you look through the manual, you will find a number of options for "reset". If you haven't done so, I would recommend downloading a digital version of the manual, available from the Nikon site but not printable. This makes searching very easy.

Nathan

deegeepenryn Registered since 05th Aug 2012Mon 13-Aug-12 07:32 AM
#7. "RE: D7000 Reset needed?"
In response to Reply # 6

GB

Looking at the manual for the D7000 it looks like you can restore all default settings easily enough by holding down the "QUAL" button and "+/-" buttons together for more than two seconds. However, I'm not sure that this would reset the actual camera?

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Mon 13-Aug-12 12:00 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 Reset needed?"
In response to Reply # 7

Kingston, CA

>Looking at the manual for the D7000 it looks like you can
>restore all default settings easily enough by holding down the
>"QUAL" button and "+/-" buttons together
>for more than two seconds. However, I'm not sure that this
>would reset the actual camera?

I am interested in any more thorough reset options not normally documented.

Peter

My gallery (a work in progress): http://peterstokes.net/Exhibit

jagabom Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jun 2012Wed 15-Aug-12 03:40 AM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000 Reset needed?"
In response to Reply # 8

CA

Twice now my D7K has not recognized my SD card. I turn it on and in the bottom right is a -E-. I turn the camera off and the display still stays on. Read or seen somewhere that the camera doesn't see the SD card. With the camera off and battery removed, I remove the SD card and replace it. All goes normal. Not what your problem is but the same ides. Good luck

Jim

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Wed 15-Aug-12 05:55 AM
#10. "RE: D7000 Reset needed?"
In response to Reply # 9

Netanya, IL

Jim,
That was exactly my problem. When it happens to you shortly after the start of every shoot, you'll look for a better, more permanent solution.
See my post, above, No. 2

Nathan

jagabom Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jun 2012Thu 16-Aug-12 01:54 AM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D7000 Reset needed?"
In response to Reply # 10

CA

Thanks Nathan, I will try a reset.
Jim

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Wed 22-Aug-12 02:04 PM
#12. "RE: D7000 Reset needed?"
In response to Reply # 11

Netanya, IL

For the record: Has it helped?

Nathan

SirPuttsAlot Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Sep 2011Fri 24-Aug-12 10:08 AM
330 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D7000 Reset needed?"
In response to Reply # 12
Fri 24-Aug-12 10:17 AM by SirPuttsAlot

Poughquag, US

While you can reset items in the camera to their default setting, there is no actual hard reset like one would expect, just the 3 soft reset options:
1. Shooting Setting
2. Custom Setting
3. User Setting
Non of these actually performs a hard reset as one would think of, which would reload the firmware and reset the unit like it just came out of the box.

I have read elsewhere on of different possible factory reset options that went something like:
1. Turn Camera Off
2. Hold down the shutter button
3. While Holding the Shutter Button remove the battery
4. Continue Holding for 2 mins
5. Leave battery out of camera for 48 hours

I tried a few of them, but they never yielded any thing. I have also tried reloading the firmware but if memory serves me, it didn't let me and just told me I was already up to date. I'm sure there probably is an actual process for performing a Hard Reset on the camera that the techs can perform, but it's not documented in the manual, nor have I found it on the internet. Best I can offer you is that I saved the stock settings right after I powered up the camera and entered the time zone and language information. Shoot me an e-mail and I'll send the NCSETUP7.BIN file over to you, but I don't think it is any different than performing the 3 resets listed above.

jagabom Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jun 2012Sun 26-Aug-12 04:30 PM
#14. "RE: D7000 Reset needed?"
In response to Reply # 13

CA

I tried the 2 button reset but since it has only happened twice in 6 months, might not know for a while.
Jim

billr814 Registered since 05th Dec 2011Fri 31-Aug-12 11:48 PM
50 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D7000 Reset needed?"
In response to Reply # 13

US

no worries

jagabom Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jun 2012Sun 30-Sep-12 04:49 AM
#16. "RE: D7000 Reset needed?"
In response to Reply # 15

CA

Happened again just now. Guess the 2 button reset didn't work. Who knows. Not a big deal. After I seen the video of the D7K disection, with all that electronics in the case it is easy for a few electrons to get lost.
Jim

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20245 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.