Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9716
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Summer Fun - Comments Please" Previous topic | Next topic
wesmannmsu Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Mar 2011Tue 31-May-11 09:46 PM
302 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Summer Fun - Comments Please"

US

Any comments are welcome

Visit My Website Nikon Fanboy.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Tue 31-May-11 11:13 PM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Summer Fun - Comments Please"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Most of the story the image is trying to convey is missing. What caused the mustache? Ice cream? A glass of milk?

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

wesmannmsu Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Mar 2011Wed 01-Jun-11 12:56 AM
302 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Summer Fun - Comments Please"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Good point.

Ellis Feibush Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2009Thu 02-Jun-11 04:57 AM
263 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Summer Fun - Comments Please"
In response to Reply # 0

Summit, US

Nice, sharp, well exposed image, however we need to see his eyes. Eyes always tell us a little about the subject. When we don't see the eyes, it's just another subject we'll never know much about. Also, though by coincidence I'm sure, there's too much green in the picture. I know that's not your fault but, it looks like it just happened that way.

efeibush

wesmannmsu Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Mar 2011Thu 02-Jun-11 12:48 PM
#4. "RE: Summer Fun - Comments Please"
In response to Reply # 3

US

too much green. I see, the shirt and the grass.

thanks for the comments.. all good points

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 02-Jun-11 01:23 PM
1973 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Summer Fun - Comments Please"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 02-Jun-11 01:28 PM by elec164

US

I agree that the image is sharp and well exposed, but I think the blank area to the left and the pole is a distraction and should be cropped out.

But to expound on the comment by four eighty sparky (a fellow electrician I suspect ),the title of your post has a great impact on one’s perception of the image. A few years ago I posted an image over in the ‘Critique and Technical Advice’ forum. I received quite a few great responses with a lot of advice. One of the comments suggested that the title should have reflected my purpose and intent (thoughts, reason and feelings when taking the shot) for the image.

Your title, ‘Summer Fun’, suggest a certain perception. But when I look at the image I see nothing fun about it, so I am immediately confused and disappointed. The boy looks rather somber, so even if there was an Ice Cream cone that was included, I would have still wondered what the somber look was about. Did he expect a different flavor? Did someone give him a cone when he wanted an Ice Cream Sandwich? Was he reflecting that summer was almost over and was saddened? Was the Ice Cream almost finished and he wanted it to last longer?

So even though technically the image was captured well, all that was lost in that the title had me walking away confused and disappointed.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Pete

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Fri 03-Jun-11 01:58 AM
340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Summer Fun - Comments Please"
In response to Reply # 5

Ellington, US

Yeah, I'm with Pete. Nice picture, actually. It's just not what the caption says it is. So from a technical perspective, nice. From a photo-journalistic perspective, not so nice. Clear as mud? Good, that's how this art form tends to be!

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

SnapSnapSnap Registered since 08th Nov 2010Fri 03-Jun-11 06:42 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Summer Fun - Comments Please"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Summarizing the above comments a bit, change the title to "Last Day of Summer" and nothing else need be changed. I don't like cropping a crop sensor picture unless someone elses fingers, ears or eyes are in the picture besides the subject(s)...

If you snapped the same boy about to take the first bite of ice cream, the former title would be more pertinent.

I used to write poetry where the title was the first line... but so often only my initial imagery drew people to read it or not, and the "message" was only inferred.

Keep shooting.

wesmannmsu Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Mar 2011Sun 05-Jun-11 03:34 PM
#8. "RE: Summer Fun - Comments Please"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Thanks Pete, good comments

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #9716 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.