Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #862
View in threaded mode

Subject: "D7000 - What software will accept NEF files" Previous topic | Next topic
Cobalt Registered since 20th Apr 2008Sun 17-Oct-10 11:32 AM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 - What software will accept NEF files"

US

For those of you that have been fortunate enough to get the first round product, I am interested to know what software will open the NEF files coming out of this camera. I saw a post that stated NX2 will not open the NEF files. Is that true?

Do the following open the NEF files:
CS5 (Camera Raw)
Lightroom 3
Aperture 3

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 17-Oct-10 01:07 PM
28309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 - What software will accept NEF files"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 17-Oct-10 02:38 PM by briantilley

Paignton, GB

The latest version of View NX2 (which comes with the camera, I understand) will open D7000 NEF files.

I'm not aware that any 3rd Party vendor has yet updated their software to support D7000 NEF's - that normally takes a while after a camera's release, so it's not unusual.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

OpticalSerenity Registered since 23rd Oct 2006Sun 17-Oct-10 01:19 PM
91 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 - What software will accept NEF files"
In response to Reply # 1

Atlanta, US

Apple is usually pretty quick to release updates...and Chase Jarvis is on the advisory board for Aperture, so I'd just shoot RAW+JPEG and save the RAW until the update comes out. I doubt it'll be long.

But aside from that, I don't know of anything that can read it fully aside from ViewNX. Mac OS X can read it, and even shows you thumbnails.

savagetom Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Jul 2007Sun 17-Oct-10 02:18 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 - What software will accept NEF files"
In response to Reply # 0

Beijing, CN

Capture NX2 ver 2.2.5 will not open D7000 NEF files on my Windows 7 laptop. To tell you the truth I don't know if this is a Windows 7 issue or not. I loaded View NX2 ver 2.0.2 from the CD in the D7000 box and have problems with it, too. It will display the NEF thumbnail but when I select a D7000 NEF and go to View > Image Viewer it crashes. Actually crashes every time I try to use Image Viewer regardless of jpg or NEF or type of camera that generated the file.

I'm hoping for an update soon.

Tom Savage
Newburgh, IN

mikeon Registered since 01st Oct 2004Sun 17-Oct-10 03:52 PM
55 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 - What software will accept NEF files"
In response to Reply # 0

Örebro, SE

I guess a CNX2 v2.26 will come during next days that support the 7K NEFs. ViewNX2 already supports the files what I've heard. Lightroom, Aperture, CameraRaw will follow, but that can take some time.

/Mikael
-----------------------
D800 & D7000 user (Sweden)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Sun 17-Oct-10 04:15 PM
841 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 - What software will accept NEF files"
In response to Reply # 4

Santa Fe, US

Nikon US lists Capture NX2 under 'Software' for the D7000, with no indication that a new version will be required. Has anyone got it (2.2.5) to work with D7000 NEFs in any version of Windows?

SantaFeBill

"My photos were more interesting before I learned the rules."

savagetom Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Jul 2007Sun 17-Oct-10 08:12 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 - What software will accept NEF files"
In response to Reply # 3

Beijing, CN

Quick update. ViewNX2 ver 2.0.2 on my wife's Windows XP laptop seems to work fine. I can look at D7000 NEFs in Image Viewer and make adjustments. Capture NX2 2.2.5 on her machine won't open D7000 NEFs, either.

I guess I need to jump over to a different forum to figure this Windows 7 64-bit issue out. View NX ver 1.5.2 (I think) was working fine before I upgraded.

Tom

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Mon 18-Oct-10 01:03 AM
327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 - What software will accept NEF files"
In response to Reply # 5

Warsaw, US

CNX2 2.2.5 on my Vista computer will not open the NEF files.
However, Paint Shop Pro X2 WILL open the files and allow me to edit them. I don't know how accurate PSP reads the colors but the pics look very good to me.
I have to laugh because I'm probably the only one here that uses PSP.

JosephK Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 18-Oct-10 04:41 AM
3712 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 - What software will accept NEF files"
In response to Reply # 7

Seattle, WA, US

PSP is good stuff. While I have PSP 12 installed, I use 9.x most of the time since it is the last version that preserves all the EXIF data in the JPGs.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, 50mm f/1.4 D
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 18-Oct-10 07:53 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000 - What software will accept NEF files"
In response to Reply # 7

St Petersburg, RU

If you can edit the metadata with PaintShop Pro, open a file and change the camera model to D90, save it and try opening in Capture NX2, PS CS5 or Lightroom if you have any of these to see if it renders. I remember when I got the D90 nothing would open the RAW files so I used an editor to tel the program that it was a D300 and then the trial version of NX2 worked fine with it until a new version that recognized the model came out.
There might be too much difference in the sensor data to work however since it is 16mpx.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #862 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.