Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24370
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Crop mode. Why use it?" Previous topic | Next topic
JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Fri 22-Feb-13 04:28 PM
916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Crop mode. Why use it?"

New HArtford, US

Is there any reason to use the crop mode other than improved capture rate?

I would alway prefer to crop my own images than let the camera do it.

Is there something I'm missing or is it the frames per second that is the big deal?

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Fri 22-Feb-13 04:37 PM
2318 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Crop mode. Why use it?"
In response to Reply # 0

Bay Area, US

You already hit the nail on the head. In crop mode, each file is smaller, so the camera can process more files per second, which results in a higher frame rate. This can be important for fast moving subjects like birds and athletes. Another minor plus is that you use less space on your card and computer, and import and processing of the images are faster, too.

That said, unless I absolutely need those benefits, I always crop in post, like you.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 22-Feb-13 04:39 PM
26543 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Crop mode. Why use it?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

About the only time I use crop mode is when I can see that the subject is obviously so small in the frame that having it crop is just as well. That way there's less data retained, thus saving space on the card and later on the HDD's. This doesn't happen very often to me, though - on the other hand I haven't been doing much birding recently either.

The other time I have used a crop mode is the 5:4 mode in some cameras. If I know that the image is destined for an 8x10 or 16x20 (eg 5:4) print, I sometimes use 5:4 crop mode and then compose as if I'm not going to crop. On the other hand, I probably do this about one shoot per year - not a big deal.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Fri 22-Feb-13 05:19 PM
916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Crop mode. Why use it?"
In response to Reply # 2

New HArtford, US

Thanks. Makes sense.

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

NRousu Registered since 16th May 2012Fri 22-Feb-13 07:25 PM
55 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Crop mode. Why use it?"
In response to Reply # 1

CA

This makes me wonder - if they're going to such lengths to add this feature, does this mean that the D7100 still has a tiny buffer like the D7000?

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Fri 22-Feb-13 07:48 PM
6048 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Crop mode. Why use it?"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

Increased capture rate is one reason. Smaller files also use less buffer space, allowing for longer bursts of shots for those who like that sort of thing.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 22-Feb-13 07:58 PM
11279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Crop mode. Why use it?"
In response to Reply # 4

Lowden, US

Yes, the buffer is samll.

When shooting RAW you get between 6 - 9 frames in the buffer depending on the bit depth and compression.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

NRousu Registered since 16th May 2012Fri 22-Feb-13 08:03 PM
55 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Crop mode. Why use it?"
In response to Reply # 6

CA

That's too bad the buffer is so small. When shooting something like a moving animal, small child, or athlete, those frames get eaten up fast.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24370 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.