Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22664
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Problem Assigning Virtual Horizon to buttons" Previous topic | Next topic
Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Mon 17-Dec-12 03:36 PM
294 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Problem Assigning Virtual Horizon to buttons"

Aventura, US

I have assigned virtual horizon to the Fn button. When I press the Fn button I don't see the virtual horizon in the viewfinder. Also tried preview button. Same result. What am I doing wrong? (In Live View if I press the Info button several times I get the virtual horizon)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Mon 17-Dec-12 03:44 PM
2843 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Problem Assigning Virtual Horizon to buttons"
In response to Reply # 0

Milton, CA

I'm not sure what you expect to see, so I'm taking a shot in the dark here.

I set my camera up the same way, so when I press the FN button, all the data that typically shows at the bottom inside the viewfinder disappears and is replaced with a short little vertical line (more like a vertical dash) in the middle at the bottom edge of the viewfinder. Tilting the camera to the right or left makes little dots appear to the left or right of the vertical dash. The more the camera is tilted off horizontal, the more dots appear next to the line. If the camera is perfectly horizontal then no dots should show - only the vertical dash.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

mvlow1974 Registered since 03rd Dec 2012Mon 17-Dec-12 04:30 PM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Problem Assigning Virtual Horizon to buttons"
In response to Reply # 1

US

There are two different virtual horizons on the D7000. There is a graphical representation that you can see on you rear display panel and there is the viewfinder virtual horizon. Is it possible you are just setting the graphical virtual horizon and not the viewfinder virtual horizon? The viewfinder virtual horizon (tilt meter) is discussed on page 231 of the user manual and the graphical live view virtual horizon is discussed on page 245 and 53.

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Mon 17-Dec-12 05:42 PM
294 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Problem Assigning Virtual Horizon to buttons"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon 17-Dec-12 05:42 PM by Steve6344

Aventura, US

Thank you Rassie & MVLow,
Both are useful answers. I was expecting the gtaphical representation I got in LiveView. Now I realize that in the viewfinder I will see the dots as you described. Good to go!

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Mon 17-Dec-12 07:14 PM
3021 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Problem Assigning Virtual Horizon to buttons"
In response to Reply # 3

Raleigh, US

It would be nice if you could activate the live view virtual horizon with the Fn button. The viewfinder virtual horizon only displays left and right tilt, but the live view virtual horizon also displays front and back tilt.

Rocky

mvlow1974 Registered since 03rd Dec 2012Mon 17-Dec-12 07:50 PM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Problem Assigning Virtual Horizon to buttons"
In response to Reply # 4

US

If you set the live view virtual horizon as the 1st item on your my menu. You can then set the Fn button to activate the top item in my menu which will activate the live view virtual horizon.

Page 231: Press the Fn button to jump to the top item in “MY MENU.” Select this option for quick access to a frequently-used menu item.

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Mon 17-Dec-12 08:38 PM
#6. "RE: Problem Assigning Virtual Horizon to buttons"
In response to Reply # 5

Aventura, US

I tried it and it worked! Amazing. That's a very useful feature. Thanks.

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Mon 17-Dec-12 09:16 PM
3021 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Problem Assigning Virtual Horizon to buttons"
In response to Reply # 5

Raleigh, US

Thanks Malcolm!

Rocky

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22664 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.