Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24550
View in threaded mode

Subject: "I think Nikon just talked me into buying a second body" Previous topic | Next topic
polarpics Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Jan 2013Sun 24-Feb-13 03:23 PM
226 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"I think Nikon just talked me into buying a second body"

Ontario, CA

I bought the D600 in December after selling off 20+ years of accumulated Nikon "stuff". Bags, bodies, lenses, etc and sternly told myself that never again would I collect more then one of anything that I didn't use on a daily basis. My assistant (read wife) who had to carry all the "stuff" around while I did the important things - like taking pictures - agreed with this while displaying more enthusiasm then what I thought appropriate.
Now after reading the specs on the 7100 I can see myself using it as a dedicated wildlife/bird camera with my 70-200 f2.8 and 300mm f4. When I envision sticking my AFS TC-17EII into the mix I begin to hyperventilate. I'll wait till people put the 7100 into use and read the reviews for a couple of months before I tick off my wife but as it stands now it looks most promising. "

Bill

Cold weather photography makes a VR lens your best friend. Think violent shivering.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Sun 24-Feb-13 06:22 PM
2312 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: I think Nikon just talked me into buying a second body"
In response to Reply # 0

Bay Area, US

I can't yet comment how well the D7100 will do with long lenses and TCs - we'll have to wait until the camera is out - but meanwhile I'm impressed with how you got your wife to carry the gear for you.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

polarpics Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Jan 2013Sun 24-Feb-13 08:37 PM
226 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: I think Nikon just talked me into buying a second body"
In response to Reply # 1
Sun 24-Feb-13 08:41 PM by polarpics

Ontario, CA

>I can't yet comment how well the D7100 will do with long
>lenses and TCs - we'll have to wait until the camera is out -
>but meanwhile I'm impressed with how you got your wife to
>carry the gear for you.

It's a long story Tom but if you want to see what she had to go through check out the picture of her in my Northwest Territories (Sub Arctic) gallery. The picture where she's wrestling with a frozen Manfrotto tripod at -35 degrees F.

Bill

Cold weather photography makes a VR lens your best friend. Think violent shivering.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Ray B Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2008Sun 24-Feb-13 09:02 PM
210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: I think Nikon just talked me into buying a second body"
In response to Reply # 0

Worthing, GB

I often wondered how folk carry 50lb plus of gear all over the place That said I'm more than happy with my "assistant". She won't carry my stuff but there is no upgrade possible on perfection

Regards, Ray

Visit: My Nikonians Gallery

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Sun 24-Feb-13 11:53 PM
438 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: I think Nikon just talked me into buying a second body"
In response to Reply # 3

Lafayette, US

>I often wondered how folk carry 50lb plus of gear all over
>the place That said I'm more than happy with my
>"assistant". She won't carry my stuff but there is
>no upgrade possible on perfection

I like and approve of your attitude toward your "assistant".

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Mon 25-Feb-13 05:04 AM
5949 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: I think Nikon just talked me into buying a second body"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

That all sounds good (especially the part where the wife does the hard part), but given the pixel density of the D7100, I feel you may find the limit of the TC-17E II. That has been the case for me when I've used that teleconverter with a 300 f/4 on a Nikon V1. The pixel density of that sensor is even greater than the D7100, but still.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24550 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.