Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22962
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Ideas and advice on the D7000 and the 500mm" Previous topic | Next topic
cocadori Registered since 03rd Nov 2012Mon 31-Dec-12 12:47 PM
42 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Ideas and advice on the D7000 and the 500mm"

Three Forks, US

Been playing with the D7000 and the "big gun".

I'm curious as to what distance you think this combination is at it's outer most limit for near perfect definition and clarity.

I'm gonna say 50 yards maybe?

Now I think that if you are into the "capture the wildlife and it's surroundings..." then maybe 100-150 yards.

Waddya think?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 31-Dec-12 06:29 PM
26302 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Ideas and advice on the D7000 and the 500mm"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Depends on your subject, the conditions, and the conditions of display, meaning the eventual use of the image. If your subject is a little bird, like a sparrow, you're probably way too far at 30 feet. If your subject is a moose, you can't even frame him/her with the environment at 50 feet in a 500mm - probably 50 yards is about as close as you'd ever care to be with that lens.

The conditions matter too. If there's mist in the air, or let's say there's a ribbon of blacktop between you and the subject and it's 100F and cloudless - 20 feet might be too far, since the intervening air is so disturbed or so full of stuff that you may not be able to resolve almost anything. Under ideal conditions, I've been able to resolve eyelashes on a racing car driver through the face shield at 100-120 yards, although that's with the 400/f2.8 and TC-20eIII (on FX, with only a 12mp sensor).

The eventual use of the image matters a lot: if the image is going to produce a gallery quality 30x40" print, you have a lot less margin for error than if you're going to email the image or use it on a web site.

It's worth mentioning, though, that this is really not the limiting factor most of the time. Usually I have to look hard for a really good shot since nearly always the limiting factor in my photography is my technique. I frankly do not worry much about image quality other than paying close attention to technique. I'm much more interested in getting the subject framed properly, in good focus (I do not think it's that easy) and well composed. If I've done those things, even reasonably decent equipment produces a good result. Top-drawer stuff like a 500/f4 or 400/f2.8 is just a bonus.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22962 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.