Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22797
View in threaded mode

Subject: "no auto focus" Previous topic | Next topic
briafast Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2010Mon 24-Dec-12 05:12 AM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"no auto focus"

New York, US

I am using the D7000 with a Sigma 18-200

For some reason the autofocus won't lock at all. When I push the trigger button down slightly it the focus moves back and forth never finding the right point.

I switched the lens to my D90 and there is no problem so I assume it is not the lens.

Also the assist light does not come on and it looks like in the menu that it is set for it to come on.

I am about to bring it to a repair shop and thought I would post here first.

BF

Brian Fass
Cinematographer
www.brianfass.com
Photographer
www.brianfassphotography.com
brianfass@me.com
NYC

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Gray_star Registered since 17th Dec 2012Mon 24-Dec-12 05:30 AM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: no auto focus"
In response to Reply # 0

US

These cameras are complex these days. You should give us a rundown of what you've tried to far.

When the AF-Assist light doesn't come on when you think it should, it's for one of two reasons. Either you have AF-C selected, or the focus point isn't centered. Page 210 of the English D7000 manual lists the conditions needed for AF-Assist to work.

An off-center focus point will cause this problem if there's nothing under the focus point to lock onto. So my suggestion is to check your selected focus point.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 24-Dec-12 08:37 AM
28309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: no auto focus"
In response to Reply # 1

Paignton, GB

>When the AF-Assist light doesn't come on when you think it
>should, it's for one of two reasons.

It's more complex than that. For example, AF-Assist is not available in certain scene modes. Check pages 210, 273 and 292-293 in the manual for a full rundown.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 24-Dec-12 09:29 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: no auto focus"
In response to Reply # 2

St Petersburg, RU

In addition to the AF-Assist light settings, if the Sigma is older, it may not be compatible with newer Nikon's. Sigma will know which versions are and yours might need to go back to their service center to have is chip replaced. Sigma can do that quickly and does not charge for it.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22797 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.