Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22034
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Nikon D7000 Raw Slot 1 - JPEG Slot 2" Previous topic | Next topic
Remooc Registered since 25th Sep 2012Tue 06-Nov-12 07:20 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D7000 Raw Slot 1 - JPEG Slot 2"

Newquay, Cornwall, GB

Hello all,
I need some help with a problem with Shooting RAW and JPEG .
I have shot RAW Slot 1 JPEG slot 2 a few times before without any problems. Last night as I was doing a firework shoot I decided to use this option again to have a go at processing the firework images myself. I used the following settings
1. Role played by card in slot 2 - RAW Slot 1 JPEG slot 2
2. Image Quality - RAW + JPEG Fine
3. NEF Recoring - Type ON Loseless Compressed NEF bit depth 14 bit.

Fired a test shot in my lounge and confirmed there was a RAW file on card 1 and JPEG on card 2. Went and did the firework shoot. Didn't have time to look at them when I got back. Today did some photo's with the children before they went to bed and now have downloaded both cards and I am somewhat miffed by the files on the Card from slot 1. The initial test shot was NEF then all the firework images from last night were JPEG. Tonight the photos with the children were as follows, the first 12 were NEF then 1 JPEG the 1 NEF then 22 JPEG then 1 JPEG and 1 NEF with the same File number of DSC_1789. This seems very strange as no settings were altered on the camera at all since setting it up last night. All photos on Slot 2 were JPEG and all present and correct. Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Tue 06-Nov-12 07:27 PM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D7000 Raw Slot 1 - JPEG Slot 2"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 06-Nov-12 08:11 PM by J_Harris

US

Have you applied the latest "firmware" update? The initial firmware had a problem when writing to the SD cards. Sorry, but I can't remember the specific card writing issue, but it is explained at the Nikon firmware download webpage. Link is below.

Added: There are many "fixes" to the firmware, but the two I've listed below may fix your issue.

Modifications enabled with B firmware Ver. 1.03
•An error where the card may not have been recognized when some memory cards were used has been addressed.

•The setting for Role played by card in Slot 2 may change between Overflow, Backup, and RAW Slot 1- JPEG Slot 2.

U.S.A.
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17542/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzUyMjMzNzg5L3NpZC9obW9nUUNhbA%3D%3D

(U.K. / Ireland)
https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/50625

Edited: to add link and pertinent fixes in latest firmware update.

Jerry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Remooc Registered since 25th Sep 2012Tue 06-Nov-12 07:32 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D7000 Raw Slot 1 - JPEG Slot 2"
In response to Reply # 1

Newquay, Cornwall, GB

Hi Jerry, I have done a couple of Firmware updates and am currently on A 1.02 B 1.03 L 1.002 which I presume is the latest update.

J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Tue 06-Nov-12 07:45 PM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D7000 Raw Slot 1 - JPEG Slot 2"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue 06-Nov-12 08:16 PM by J_Harris

US

I updated my post, but yes you have the most recent firmware update. Strange, because the second "fix" I listed sounded like it would pertain to your issue.

If you are interested there is a newer "Lens Distortion Control" update that you don't have installed (1.002 > 1.006). Link is below.

U.S.A
http://www.nikonimglib.com/dcdata/index.html#os-windows

U.K. / Europe
http://nikonimglib.com/dcdata/#os-windows

They look like the same website, but just to be sure/safe.

Jerry

Edited: to add additional website.

Remooc Registered since 25th Sep 2012Wed 07-Nov-12 09:05 AM
#4. "RE: Nikon D7000 Raw Slot 1 - JPEG Slot 2"
In response to Reply # 3

Newquay, Cornwall, GB

Thanks Jerry,
I will apply that update today.
Martin

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Wed 07-Nov-12 12:36 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon D7000 Raw Slot 1 - JPEG Slot 2"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Any chance that you accidentally had the mode dial bumped, and were maybe between modes (U1, U2, A, S, M) or on the wrong mode when this happened? I've had similar weird things happen, and then realize that I had bumped that dial and was actually in between modes.

That's about the only thought I have...

Remooc Registered since 25th Sep 2012Wed 07-Nov-12 06:10 PM
#6. "RE: Nikon D7000 Raw Slot 1 - JPEG Slot 2"
In response to Reply # 5

Newquay, Cornwall, GB

Hi, no the camera was on U2 all the time for both shoots.

TheDraftsman Registered since 20th Jan 2011Sat 10-Nov-12 04:16 AM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon D7000 Raw Slot 1 - JPEG Slot 2"
In response to Reply # 6

middlesex, US

The D7000 decides what goes where and on what card. It anticipates what is coming and where its going to put it. Your RAW files in "slot 1" is only a preference. If the camera thinks its going to need more room and your card in SLOT 1 is not big enought it will put it in slot 2. I found 2 things. 1. stop using 2 different size cards and or 2. buy bigger cards. I NEVER have this problem because I do not leave my photos on my cards and I re-format everytime I unload them. Also just because it worked for you one time it shouldn't be such a shock if it doesnt work again. RAW files are never the same size from one photo shoot to the next.

Visit Current D90 Set-up.

http://fototime.com/{04CF383D-D221-4184-A88C-5F1B6AFC4AE4}/origpict/proudownerfinal.png

Remooc Registered since 25th Sep 2012Sat 10-Nov-12 03:24 PM
#8. "RE: Nikon D7000 Raw Slot 1 - JPEG Slot 2"
In response to Reply # 7

Newquay, Cornwall, GB

Hi TheDraftsman, I have two 16gb cards and each card was emptied and formatted in the camera before the firework shoot, so I don't think it was a lack of space issue.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22034 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.