Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #14223
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Live view vs Viewfinder" Previous topic | Next topic
rhammers Registered since 09th Jun 2007Sun 11-Dec-11 09:22 AM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Live view vs Viewfinder"

erie, US

I was wondering how the camera operates differently in these two modes. I have been unhappy with the sharpness of my 50mm 1.8 lens with the D7000 since the day that I bought it. Yesterday I was doing some testing and tried live view. The shot was the sharpest that I have ever taken with the camera. I turned off live view and used viewfinder, it was not sharp. I turned back on live view and took one...great shot. I did this six times and each time the viewfinder shot was much worse than live view. It doesn't make sense to me because I assumed the focus would work exactly the same in both modes. Has anyone ever experienced this? All shots were taken at 1.8 and on a tripod to eliminate movement.
thanks...

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
mcpianoca Registered since 05th Jan 2011Sun 11-Dec-11 11:51 AM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Live view vs Viewfinder"
In response to Reply # 0

Sherbrooke, CA

Were these taken with autofocus? Were you zooming in live view to manually adjust focus or just autofocus?

If all shots were taken with autofocus, I would think that maybe, just maybe, your focusing screen might need a distance adjustment (shim of some sort). I've read that people replacing their focusing screens with Katzeyes sometime have to shim the new screen to make the focus better.

Just a thought.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 11-Dec-11 01:03 PM
28306 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Live view vs Viewfinder"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 11-Dec-11 01:04 PM by briantilley

Paignton, GB

No, Live View uses an entirely seprate focusing system from the "normal" AF that the camera employs when you're using the viewfinder. Each system has its own strengths, but the fact that there is such a difference in your case suggests that you haven't got the "normal" AF set up in the optimal way for your type(s) of subject.

What are your AF settings, and what is the subject? Can you post some examples?

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #14223 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.