Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #58
View in threaded mode

Subject: "D7000 Pre-Ordered" Previous topic | Next topic
JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Wed 15-Sep-10 04:36 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 Pre-Ordered"

Toronto, CA

I have pulled the trigger and pre-ordered.

Let the impatient waiting begin...

Jason

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Thu 16-Sep-10 02:46 AM
4208 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 Pre-Ordered"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

Me too. Am already agonizing that I won't have it for an early October Golden Eagle trip. I see one fellow's post he won't have it in time for his trip to Bhutan - bummer!

My dealer says LATE October.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Thu 16-Sep-10 03:12 AM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 Pre-Ordered"
In response to Reply # 1

Toronto, CA

Same, I am going to the Amalfi Coast, Italy in early October. I still have my D90 so I am set, but it would have been nice to play with the D7000 while on vacation in a place where you are literally tripping over beautiful photograph ops. The video capability would have been nice too.

Jason

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Thu 16-Sep-10 04:17 AM
2035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 Pre-Ordered"
In response to Reply # 1
Thu 16-Sep-10 08:45 PM by Ramesses

US

Hi Steve:

I might pull the trigger on this beauty, which I can’t ignore; it will take me month or so. In the meantime, I have to do a lot of selling, which I hate. However, I will integrate both cameras systems (D700 & D7K) and come down to 10 lenses, my dream! My preliminary analysis is as follows:

D700 & D7000 Lenses:

Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm f/4G ED N IF VRII
Nikkor AF-S 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 G VRII DX

Nikkor - Fisheye DX AF 10.5mm f/2.8G ED-IF

Zeiss ZF Distagon 25mm f/2.8 T*
Zeiss ZF Distagon 35mm f/2 T*
Zeiss ZF Planar 50mm f/1.4 T*

Voigtländer Nokton 58mm f/1.4 SL-II

Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S G ED VRII
Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR-I with Kirk LP-45 QR Foot

Macro Lenses

Nikkor AF Micro 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR II
Sigma APO 150mm f/2.8 EX Macro EX DG HSM
Canon 77mm 500D Close-Up Lens

According to my calculations, I might even clear ~ $1,500 including the cost of the 28-300. Therefore, I have a lot of wiggling room. Unfortunately, I will sacrifice the 14-24, but cannot have everything, either. I really love the above lens lineup and do not need anything else. Heck, I will freeze the cameras as well.

The only worry is the high density pixel concentration in the D7K, but I think it should be fine. I’ll wait a month or so, for the reviews. I also have time to think about it, before doing anything.

Best regards,

Hektor

PS: I just added the following. I will pre-order or order the D7K a week after I sell the 14-24, just in case there is a problem in the delivery of the lens. I can't believe how easy was to come up with a lens lineup that I really like, once the choices were there. Before, I was going around in circles.

PS2: I changed my mind. I'm keeping the Sigma 150mm Macro f/2.8. I was thinking of upgrading the Nokton 58 1.4 to the 85mm 1.4G, if I had enough money left over. However, that could be my 2011 project. The problem is that I won't have any more equipment to sell. If you do not see me for a while, is because I'm going to be a bit busy between the "I want to sell" forum and eBay."

A Nikonian in Kemet

My Blog: Hektors Blog
My Photo Album: Hektors Photos

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberThu 16-Sep-10 06:21 AM
3139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 Pre-Ordered"
In response to Reply # 3

Monterey Bay, US

Nikon has really shaken things up.

I will be preordering the D7000 tomorrow.
1. Locking dial on upper left.
2. Stereo mic jack
3. 6400 ISO
4. much more

I will not be canceling my D3100 order, I still want it for hiking and trips. I also still want a FullFrame D700s but will probably wait for the D4.

I will be selling my 5D2, Tamrac CyberPack, 4 new Sigma lens, and accessories for $5k.

I may sell one of my D3 bodies before/after the D7000 arrives.

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Thu 16-Sep-10 10:37 PM
446 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 Pre-Ordered"
In response to Reply # 1

Arlington, US

That's me going to Bhutan. But I guess maybe the timing saves me $1200. I mainly shoot when I take trips. And since this month-long trip to Asia kills my vacation time for quite a while I can wait on this one until all of you pre-orderers get fulfilled. I do still have my D90 which is a great tool after all. And I recently picked up a Sony HX5V which has a nice 10x zoom, shoots HD video and has a bunch of other cool features for when I just want a P&S.

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/71182/cat/500

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Tue 21-Sep-10 02:18 PM
3477 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 Pre-Ordered"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 21-Sep-10 02:19 PM by ZoneV

US

I just sold my like new D90...a friend who is a photographer wants it.

D7000, here I come. Reminds me of the N90s back in 2000 all over again.

How soon before I want it should I preorder?

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Wed 22-Sep-10 01:04 AM
4208 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 Pre-Ordered"
In response to Reply # 6

Alberta, CA

>How soon before I want it should I preorder?

I think pick a smaller local shop and preorder now would be prudent. The big shops are going to have looong preorder lists as momentum builds. It will depend on reviews, but if very good then getting a D7000 by Christmas is likely going to be tough. As it stands right now preorders are only to start filling Oct 29th. That doesn't give Nikon too much time before Christmas.

Also to Glenn above have a great time in Bhutan. That is a life-long dream of mine. I visited Ladakh once and it was stunning!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Wed 22-Sep-10 01:56 AM
2035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 Pre-Ordered"
In response to Reply # 7
Wed 22-Sep-10 02:08 AM by Ramesses

US

Hi Steve:

I canceled my pre-order of the D7K, today. I decided to get the 24mm 1.4, instead. I’m not only getting lighter, but also very fast. My future camera and lens lineup will be as follows:

D5000 Lenses

Nikkor AF-S 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 G-VR II DX
Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1.8G DX
Voigtländer Nokton 58mm f/1.4 SL-II

D700 Lenses

Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm f/4G ED N IF VR-II

Nikon AF-S Nikkor ED N 24mm f/1.4G (to be ordered after selling the 70-200)
Zeiss ZF Distagon 35mm f/2 T*
Zeiss ZF Planar 50mm f/1.4 T*

Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S G ED VRII

Macro Lenses

Nikkor Micro 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR II
Sigma Macro 150mm f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM

I have four lenses to sell and I’m done. I sold the 14-24, already and it is the waiting game, now. I will never do this again. However, I will get down to ten lenses .

The D7K is a fantastic camera, imho, and I really wanted it. However, by getting faster with the lenses, I no longer need the high ISO performance that much. In addition, with the 24mm 1.4 (~ 35mm 1.4 with the D5K) and the DX 35mm 1.8, the legacy lenses advantage of the D7K almost evaporated.

Best regards,

Hektor

A Nikonian in Kemet

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 22-Sep-10 08:34 AM
28728 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000 Pre-Ordered"
In response to Reply # 8

Paignton, GB

Let's not get dragged off into another discussion about a possible future lens line-up, please. This is the D7000 Forum, not Nikkors

Thanks!

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Fri 24-Sep-10 08:17 PM
#10. "RE: D7000 Pre-Ordered"
In response to Reply # 8
Sat 25-Sep-10 01:46 AM by Ramesses

US

Hi:

I finally made up my mind and re-pre-order the D7K. After a lot of thinking, I gave up on the 24 1.4. The following are my 12 reasons for getting the D7K:

1. Legacy lenses: It will allow me to use my Non-CPU three Zeiss lenses that I dearly love. It will turn them into my workhorses used in both the D700 and D7K.
2. I will be able to cut down in the amount of lenses to eight main lenses and the two macros. This is something that I was dead set in doing and a "dream" to get down to ten!
3. High ISO performance: It makes the 24 1.4 less needed except for DOF – I cannot have everything.
4. 100% viewfinder.
5. Still a light body compared to the D700.
6. Magnesium alloy body with frame.
7. With the D7’s, it is all I need now and in the future – I only publish on the web – do not print.
8. If I use one, I do not use the other one. Therefore, I prolong the life of both indefinitely – no need to upgrade either one in the foreseeable future. I’m done with lenses! Period! I did not go through this trouble, in fire selling them, to start getting new ones.
9. I’ll look into the video thing. It might be useful, sometimes, maybe?
10. It has to be better than the D5K, I hope . If not, too bad!
11. The single-frame quiet release mode. It was a deciding factor to get the D5K over the D90. It is very important to me.
12. The rangefinder focusing option. It turns the EV line into a focusing one. Another key consideration when I got the D5K.

Best regards,

Hektor

A Nikonian in Kemet

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #58 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.