Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3943
View in threaded mode

Subject: "What are the best justifications for buying the MB-D11?" Previous topic | Next topic
z06kenny Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Jan 2010Wed 29-Dec-10 07:30 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What are the best justifications for buying the MB-D11?"

Sacramento, US

I love buying Nikon equipment, but the price for the MB-D11 is so high that I have to come up with some justifications! Can anyone help with that?

Thank you, Nikonians!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Wed 29-Dec-10 08:38 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What are the best justifications for buying the MB-D11?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 29-Dec-10 09:12 PM by billD80

US

If you don't know why you need one, you don't.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Wed 29-Dec-10 09:01 PM
4179 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What are the best justifications for buying the MB-D11?"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

- Better grip and heft to the camera;
- Better controls (on the grip) for use when shooting in portrait mode;

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Murseeker Registered since 21st Dec 2010Wed 29-Dec-10 10:23 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What are the best justifications for buying the MB-D11?"
In response to Reply # 0

Breitenbach, CH

If you have big hands/fingers the MB-D11 could become an ergonomic advantage.
If you need lot of battery power (many pictures on CH or GPS is mounted) you will love the additional power capacity.
If you carry the camera for the whole day (e.g. on your shoulder) you will hate the additional weight.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberWed 29-Dec-10 11:20 PM
3136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: What are the best justifications for buying the MB-D11?"
In response to Reply # 3

Monterey Bay, US

Hello:

Yes, we are planning to have this grip next year. Thanks for the suggestion, I will forward that to our engineers.

Regards,
Phottix Support
Jaroslaw Levin

2010/12/29 Roger Martin

Comment: Are you working on a battery grip for the D7000?

Will it be different than the MB-D11?

I would like it to have capacity for two D7000 batteries
or
one D3 battery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

GP1152 Registered since 07th Nov 2010Thu 30-Dec-10 04:19 AM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: What are the best justifications for buying the MB-D11?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I ordered one and had it not been for the weather in New York earlier this week (where B&H is located), I would have had it today. I shold have it tomorrow though.
Ayway, I had a D200 with grip previous to the D7000 and I miss the ergonomics and the balance with larger lenses that the grip offers . I also miss having the vertical shutter release. And hey if none of that matters, it just LOOKS better!!!

mchoi2 Registered since 04th Dec 2010Thu 30-Dec-10 06:40 AM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: What are the best justifications for buying the MB-D11?"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Better portrait handling and composition
Better ergonomics, more room for ring & pinky finger
Longer battery life
Better balance with telephoto lenses
Stability

Prediction:

MB-D11 will be used with the D300s sucessor as well as the D700 sucessor.

z06kenny Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Jan 2010Thu 30-Dec-10 10:37 AM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: What are the best justifications for buying the MB-D11?"
In response to Reply # 6

Sacramento, US

Thank you for your thoughtful answers!
I am now more interested in it, so will see if I can try one out at a local camera store.
Hopefully, one of the locals will have it in stock...

Thank you, Nikonians!

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 30-Dec-10 12:12 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: What are the best justifications for buying the MB-D11?"
In response to Reply # 7

US

I would definitely try before you buy. Why? Because the grip really does change the D7000 from a lightish yet strong body, into a heavyish strong body.

There are real positives to the grip, but, depending on the size of your hands and your actual needs, the MB-D11 might not be a positive step. It's money that could go toward glass...

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 01-Jan-11 08:07 PM
8472 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: What are the best justifications for buying the MB-D11?"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I bought the grip for my wife's D7000.

The primary uses are for photography wihtout a tripod - some portraits, sports, and situations where there is frequent change in orientation form Landscape to portrait. I also expect to use it with collared lenses and wildlife photography as the grip creates better balance on gimbal heads and my Sidekick.

There are two disadvantages of the D7000 grip - a lack of increased frame rate and the viewfinder is in different positions when you switch from landscape to portrait orientation.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sat 01-Jan-11 08:37 PM
3294 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: What are the best justifications for buying the MB-D11?"
In response to Reply # 9

Dyserth, GB

I always use battery grips and have one on my D700 and did for my D80/90 and just ordered one for my D7000. Another money maker for Nikon, they could have so easily retained the EL-EN3e battery and made the MB-D80 grip fit I'm sure. Good as the new EL-EN15 is, it's no massive step forward in my view. Why is it I was smiling as I wrote that last bit, none of us like to be fleeced!

That said, I like having the grip and will afford it mainly because it gives me extra balance to the camera, saves me having to carry a spare battery in some dark corner of my kit bag and is ergonomically suited to camera "portrait" orientation with the buttons intuitively placed. Luckily, I managed to get a brand new one with a third of the price off.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

csgaraglino Silver Member Charter MemberSun 02-Jan-11 01:41 AM
647 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: What are the best justifications for buying the MB-D11?"
In response to Reply # 10
Sun 02-Jan-11 01:42 AM by csgaraglino

Colorado Springs, US

I have one for my D700 and in the past year I have only useable a coule of times to boost the frame rate from 5.5 to 7 frames a second while shooting sports.

But like Bill said, if you don't know why you need one or are looking for justification, save your cash and buy something else that you actually need...

---
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
Outdoor Studios Photography || on Flickr || on Google+

intrepid24 Registered since 28th Oct 2006Tue 04-Jan-11 02:12 AM
289 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: What are the best justifications for buying the MB-D11?"
In response to Reply # 10
Tue 04-Jan-11 04:37 AM by intrepid24

Long Island, US

>I always use battery grips and have one on my D700 and did
>for my D80/90 and just ordered one for my D7000. Another money
>maker for Nikon, they could have so easily retained the
>EL-EN3e battery and made the MB-D80 grip fit I'm sure. Good as
>the new EL-EN15 is, it's no massive step forward in my view.
>Why is it I was smiling as I wrote that last bit, none of us
>like to be fleeced!
>
>That said, I like having the grip and will afford it mainly
>because it gives me extra balance to the camera, saves me
>having to carry a spare battery in some dark corner of my kit
>bag and is ergonomically suited to camera "portrait"
>orientation with the buttons intuitively placed. Luckily, I
>managed to get a brand new one with a third of the price off.
>
>Richard

Hello Richard,

Nikon accomplished two advances in upgrading to the EN-EL15 (D7000) battery from the EN-EL3E (D300/D90/D80) battery:
1) Minimized contact exposure to shorting +/- contacts in transit when unprotected (this meets new law compliance for newly introduced battery products, if I'm not mistaken);
2) More importantly - Battery capacity was increased by ~26.67% arithmetically, which is a plus for video runtime and a significant add for stills. The EN-EL15 is, indeed, a more robust power supply than its predecessor and is spec'd well to mate with an obviously very efficient D7000. "The DX Energizer Bunny on steroids" may be a stretch, if I may.

Thoughts to your comments:

IMO, the MB-D80 was a plastic 'excuse' of a grip which - on my D80 - caused incessant lost contact and flexed inexcusably, even when mounted on a tripod. It was clearly an accessory that was designed for a low selling price for a consumer body.

However,

The MB-D10 on my D300 is rock-solid - as is the MB-D11 on my D7000. Magnesium frames both, no flex, no lost contact. Both are well designed and are executed at a price that - to me - is market-fair.

I realize - in reading your posts - that your D7000 experience has been less-than-satisfactory, and to that end I realize that some products are just not compatible with some buyers.

At this point - and having read other older and recent posts here by you, and your displeasure with the D7000, it appears that the D700 is more compatible with your shooting occasions - cf, in another post you waxed enthusiastically about its file yield. Since it offers you calm, and pleasing files, I humbly suggest you stick with it.

My further thoughts?

I find my D7000 quite exemplary in every way.

Looking forward, I'll prefer to not take your posts seriously. You now belittle even the power supplies and accessories for the D7000 which, IMO, reduce to 'cheap shots' on your part.

Nikon has offered - to me - one heck of a new tool in the D7000 for those of us who prefer the DX format. Both the EN-EL15 and MB-D10 complement it well, and will likely be adjuncts to newer Nikon body designs (as the D300-introduced MB-D11 slid into the compatible D700 grip.)

Progress... how do we measure it?

Me? I've shot 35mm slides since 1975. The DX format D70 most importantly opened a reach and vision - and price! - heretofore unachievable in a digital SLR.

I've found the D7000 to be yet another leap in Nikon's progression of exceptional DX-format cameras.

Sorry if this is a bit coarse, but in this thread your comments struck a seasoned chord, and these products deserve better, IMO.
My thoughts, regarding your negative comments on the battery, grip, and total package, differ dramatically - to the positive.

To each our own, but I prefer to suggest the consumer view, handle, and make their own purchasing decision. Biased commentary - both positive and negative - is still... biased.

I find the D7000 - and its accessories - approach the top echelon available now, and are designed with future growth capability. That's my positively biased view.

Respectfully, and fine captures to you,

Intrepid24
Long Island, NY

wingdo Registered since 26th Aug 2007Tue 04-Jan-11 05:15 PM
360 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: What are the best justifications for buying the MB-D11?"
In response to Reply # 12
Tue 04-Jan-11 05:16 PM by wingdo

Chicago, US

>> Sorry if this is a bit coarse, but in this thread your comments struck a seasoned chord, and these products deserve better, IMO. My thoughts, regarding your negative comments on the battery, grip, and total package, differ dramatically - to the positive.

Here here. The D7000 is a good step forward and although I have only played with one, I have one on order and cannot wait to get one. The need to move to the new battery style is NOT Nikon's fault. There are new laws in effect and Nikon HAD to create a new style. Could they have come up with a backwards compatible body to use the new and old batteries? I cannot answer that, but since Nikon was forced to redesign the battery, they did so with a rather large change to stored energy as well. Not a big deal to me over the D90 as I could not give a fig about video, but to those who use video it's a big deal!

Also you are right, while the MB-D80 more than serves its purpose with the D80 and D90, it is not pro caliber which the newer grip is. Contacts style from the D300 series, forward compatibility most likely. Yes, Nikon parts are expensive but if you do not need / want to pay the price for a magnesium grip and just want a plastic one, there will be several out there to choose from soon enough.

Doug
D300s | MB-D10 | SB-700

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Sat 23-Jun-12 03:16 AM
1023 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: What are the best justifications for buying the MB-D11?"
In response to Reply # 6

US

>
>Prediction:
>
>MB-D11 will be used with the D300s sucessor as well as the
>D700 sucessor.

If I would have a crystal ball I would say this prediction will be false

Best regards,
Vlad

Fabien65 Registered since 19th Jan 2012Sat 23-Jun-12 07:18 PM
144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: What are the best justifications for buying the MB-D11?"
In response to Reply # 13

FR

hi all,
Another advantage to the MB-D11: I think that it helps to reduce vibration…because of the increase of weight and the better control in hands. This advantage is very usefull with the D7000 because it is very sensitive to motion blur.
But the main drawback is that the camera becomes quite heavy with the second battery. I have purchased the MB-D11 3 months ago, and now, i couldn’t do without it...

Fabien.

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Sat 23-Jun-12 07:41 PM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: What are the best justifications for buying the MB-D11?"
In response to Reply # 0

Canton, US

Because you want one, dang it!

George

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 23-Jun-12 07:48 PM
3136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: What are the best justifications for buying the MB-D11?"
In response to Reply # 16

Monterey Bay, US

NAS told me to do it!

But I am waiting for a 3rd party to come out with one that has more features for less money.

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Sat 23-Jun-12 09:21 PM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: What are the best justifications for buying the MB-D11?"
In response to Reply # 17

Canton, US

More features? Like what features? (How many does a grip need? The world wants to know!)

George

Fabien65 Registered since 19th Jan 2012Sun 24-Jun-12 06:44 AM
144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: What are the best justifications for buying the MB-D11?"
In response to Reply # 0

FR

>I love buying Nikon equipment, but the price for the MB-D11
>is so high that I have to come up with some justifications!
>Can anyone help with that?

Why don’t you look for a second-hand grip?
I bought mine this way 30% cheaper, a second battery included and with the Nikon’s guaranty
Fabien.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 24-Jun-12 12:38 PM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: What are the best justifications for buying the MB-D11?"
In response to Reply # 18

St Petersburg, RU

Some of the 3rd party grips have additional features like timers and GPS. I never cared about those features but having a solid hand holding position with the majority of my shots which are vertically oriented is important to me. A stop slower shutter speed can be picked by shooting with arms tucked in close to chest versus with right hand and arm reaching overhead.
The option to shoot one handed when the need arises if welcome.
Better balance and holding area in landscape mode is a highly appreciated trait of gripped cameras. In my case a grip extends the finger area to allow all fingers secure traction without using much finger tension. shooting with the an un-gripped camera means more tension in the 2 fingers which have full contact area, meaning a tighter grip is needed to secure the camera. With a grip where all 5 fingers are in contact, you can shoot for hours without hands cramping due to the more relax hold and less hand muscle fatigue.
Try holding a gripped camera and shooting for 8 hours before assuming it is a minor or no improvement in operation.
Another way to greatly reduce hand fatigue is to use a hand strap, after hours of shooting no strain is felt.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

singlerosa Silver Member Charter MemberMon 25-Jun-12 12:24 PM
210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: What are the best justifications for buying the MB-D11?"
In response to Reply # 20

St. Louis, US

The Nikon grip I had on my D100 had audio capability. That was a nice feature that the D7K grip (and maybe all current Nikon grips) are lacking. Not that I used it a lot, but it was very handy when I was shooting functions where I would have to identify prople in the shots later.

Jim Singler D7000

MS Photog Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Nov 2011Mon 25-Jun-12 01:51 PM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "Nikon Grip Alternative"
In response to Reply # 19

Carthage, US

In another thread on Nikonians a lot of people love the "Neewer Vertical Battery Grip for Nikon D7000." I'm sure it is not in the quality range of the Nikon but the Amazon price is about $41 where Amazon's price for the Nikon is $219. It might be worth a try. I am thinking seriously about getting the Neewar for now. I still have about $1000 worth of gear (glass?) on my wish list. I'm thinking about the Neewer until I finish getting all the lenses, etc. I need for my D7k. If I really love the battery grip I may add the Nikon version to my "wish" list to buy after I get the other gear.

Marlin

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3943 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.