Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #35
View in threaded mode

Subject: "D80 upgrade to D7000?" Previous topic | Next topic
Sujoy61 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Jan 2006Wed 15-Sep-10 07:38 AM
143 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D80 upgrade to D7000?"

Calcutta, IN

The specs of the D7000 looks very impressive so should a D80 user for the last three years bite the bullet and upgrade to the D7000 and by pass the D90 altogether?
Or would a D90 at maybe 750 USD refurbished make better sense?

www.sujoydas.com
Photographs from the Himalaya
www.sujoyrdas.blogspot.com
My Blog
www.facebook.com/sujoyrdas
Facebook

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 15-Sep-10 10:26 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D80 upgrade to D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

That really depends on your shooting needs. The D90 is a true bargain now. The main differences will be improved AF performance, and metering on legacy lenses, and higher end video if you are interested in that. A ruggedized casing is nice but there has been little indication that the D90 suffered from its impact resistant plastic casing. For me the AF difference and ISO pushable to 25k are very compelling features. I also would be interested in exploring more flea-market/garage sale lenses that the D7k would accept.
I've loved my D90 and will keep it. I do not even feel a need for a backup but selling it would generate less cash than its value to me. The D7000 seems like a new classic, possibly more than the D70 and D90 were. They will dominate that end of the market....again.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Sujoy61 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Jan 2006Wed 15-Sep-10 11:26 AM
143 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D80 upgrade to D7000?"
In response to Reply # 1

Calcutta, IN

Will the D7000 meter Nikon manual focus AI and AIS lenses?

www.sujoydas.com
My Blog
Facebook

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 15-Sep-10 12:31 PM
26291 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: D80 upgrade to D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Yes, the D7000 has metering with AI/AIS lenses.

As for whether a user ought to upgrade: frankly, probably not. Don't upgrade until your equipment is holding you back, or doesn't do things that you need it to do.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Cookies35 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2007Wed 15-Sep-10 01:35 PM
1954 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D80 upgrade to D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

NL

>should a D80 user for the last three years bite the bullet and upgrade to
>the D7000 and by pass the D90 altogether?
>Or would a D90 at maybe 750 USD refurbished make better sense?

In order to give you a wise opinion we need more information.

First tell us what had you thinking about upgrading your D80 to a D90 in the first place.

— LaDonna

helton Registered since 30th Jul 2007Wed 15-Sep-10 02:54 PM
558 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D80 upgrade to D7000?"
In response to Reply # 4

São Paulo, BR

Well, in my case (I´m a D80 owner also), I´d like a better AF performance, better metering (I consider the D80 metering bad) and, above all, better iso performance, the D80 iso performance is very bad.

Otherwise the D80 is fine for me.

I have the same doubt, buy a good priced D90 or a more expensive D7000.

Helton

Sujoy61 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Jan 2006Thu 16-Sep-10 04:42 AM
#6. "RE: D80 upgrade to D7000?"
In response to Reply # 5

Calcutta, IN

My reasons are more or less the same as Helton.. would specifically like the better high ISO performance.

www.sujoydas.com
My Blog
Facebook

tommiejeep Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2008Thu 16-Sep-10 05:50 AM
4326 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D80 upgrade to D7000?"
In response to Reply # 6
Thu 16-Sep-10 05:52 AM by tommiejeep

Goa, IN

Hi Sujoy, first, your Blog is looking better . Specs.-wise this is looking a heck of a lot better than the D90 my wife bought earlier this year. I am very interested to see what the new multi-Cam 4800 is like from users here. I would want it for birds/wildlife/sports. The new 2016-pixel RGB sensor sounds interesting.

I can't remember you mentioning any problem trekking with the D80 but the sealing and mag. body of the D7000 would make me feel better . For most of your shooting(based on your site) this seems the best 'bang for your buck'.

ISO specs seem to be a very worthwhile upgrade , even over the D300s! Need to see some user shots.

Will probably get to India Grey market faster than from Nikon India but could be surprised. The Nikon India pricing will be interesting.
Cheers,
Tom

Manuel Sousa - alias... T.D.Hardin
http://taja.smugmug.com/
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/165169

joeleszc Registered since 02nd Mar 2009Thu 16-Sep-10 02:59 PM
343 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D80 upgrade to D7000?"
In response to Reply # 4
Thu 16-Sep-10 03:00 PM by joeleszc

Brick, US

I too own a D80. I'm very interested in the D7000 for its low light capabilities. My daughter is on the color guard squad for the high school marching band and all of the games and competition shows are on high school fields at night. These fields are all known for their poor lighting conditions. She also participates with the indoor winter guard program. Taking pictures while she is competing in those poor lit high school gyms is also tough. The ISO capabilities of the D7000 are very attractive.

JerryT Registered since 31st May 2010Fri 17-Sep-10 02:57 AM
615 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D80 upgrade to D7000?"
In response to Reply # 8

US

>I too own a D80. I'm very interested in the D7000 for its
>low light capabilities. My daughter is on the color guard
>squad for the high school marching band and all of the games
>and competition shows are on high school fields at night.
>These fields are all known for their poor lighting conditions.
> She also participates with the indoor winter guard program.
>Taking pictures while she is competing in those poor lit high
>school gyms is also tough. The ISO capabilities of the D7000
>are very attractive.

I think you've noted the most important feature of the D7000 when compared with a D80. I have a D90 and am not so sure it's all that significant but there are times when it would certainly be nice.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #35 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.