Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26854
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Is the problem the Lens????" Previous topic | Next topic
Propjob Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Dec 2009Mon 29-Apr-13 01:01 AM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Is the problem the Lens????"

Rochester, US

Hello:
Have been testing my new D7100 in the field and noticed an anomaly with my Tamron Lens and Auto focus. I am using a Tamron DI 70-300 no OS. Lens was at 300 mm and wasn’t locking on many targets in my back yard. I was not getting the focus indicator, just right of left arrow. Sometimes it would work as advertised.. I then switched to my Nikkor 70-300 AF 1:4-5.6 G lens (Earlier kit lens, w/o OS,) and targets were locking in. With two lenses with similar characteristics why would the Tamron give this grief? Camera was set to AF-C 9 points and 5 points for test. Is this a Problem in the lens?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Mon 29-Apr-13 01:13 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Is the problem the Lens????"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

Hi Jim,

Many more people better qualified than I may respond but I've seen where some third party lens have to be "programmed" for different bodies. Since the 7100 is new perhaps the lens isn't fully connecting with the body. If so, you will need to send it in for work that will make it compatible with the 7100. Just a thought. Good luck.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Propjob Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Dec 2009Mon 29-Apr-13 01:18 AM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Is the problem the Lens????"
In response to Reply # 1

Rochester, US

Haven't heard of this, but makes sense especially where points of metering are different. I wonder if the Nikon lenses pre the newer generation have the same scenario... Good point John

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 29-Apr-13 05:10 AM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Is the problem the Lens????"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Was the focus point in the center? Did other focal lengths work as expected?
If you were not using the center FP, since your lens has a widest aperture of 5.6, it could have been just not enough light and contrast at f/5.6 to focus reliably.
If you were using the center point and it was not focusing, was the focusing target a good one, one with edges, contrasts? Focusing on a black dog in shadows might not have the distinct edges to qualify as a suitable focus target.
If you are sure the focal point was in the center and a good target, it is possible that the distance information transmitted from the lens to camera was wrong or not connecting. That is why some 3rd party lenses have to have their mpu chip updated to be compatible with the newest cameras. That is not uncommon to have new models of cameras and older lenses from 3rd party companies needing this update. We heard of it most often about Sigma and the company is very good and quick in updating lenses. Usually they will not focus at any focal length which is why I asked whether it focuses at shorter focal lengths.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Propjob Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Dec 2009Mon 29-Apr-13 09:28 AM
#4. "RE: Is the problem the Lens????"
In response to Reply # 3

Rochester, US

I did have center point Focus and tested at different focal points as I did the Nikkor. My gut feeling at first was the targets, which were large trees in a stand of others. I was focusing on the bark of a pine with a large diameter. Also on a white birch.The Nikkor was more apt to lock than the Tamron. I had plenty of light. Shutter speed was I recall around 2000 with F stop of F11'ish. Didn't shoot a pic as I was trying to test the AF function of the camera. I did fire an email to Tamron to get their thoughts

Propjob Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Dec 2009Tue 30-Apr-13 01:00 AM
#5. "RE: Is the problem the Lens????"
In response to Reply # 4

Rochester, US

UPDATE:

I talked with customer service at Tamron today, and they told me they did not have a body to test it with, nor a D7000, nor a D800, or D600. Said if I wanted to send the lens in along with my body (are you crazy?) they would test it. I also asked about my other Tamron lenses @ 18-270 and the 90mm macro and the rep suggested that I run some tests with them. Maybe Ken Rockwell is correct!!!

golfercat Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2012Tue 30-Apr-13 01:17 AM
190 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Is the problem the Lens????"
In response to Reply # 5

Menifee, US

You have encountered an issue with third party lenses and Nikon bodies...compatability. The third party companies have to reverse engineer for any new Nikon products. Nikon doesn't share information with them. Conversely Nikon designs their lenses to be compatable with current and older bodies (within reason).

Propjob Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Dec 2009Tue 30-Apr-13 01:25 AM
#7. "RE: Is the problem the Lens????"
In response to Reply # 6

Rochester, US

Lesson to remember!!!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26854 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.