Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25810
View in threaded mode

Subject: "1st BIFs for me" Previous topic | Next topic
kayakers11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Nov 2012Fri 29-Mar-13 12:26 AM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"1st BIFs for me"

Havelock, CA

A little embarrassed to show these pics as they are not well done but they're the 1st BIF's I've been able to capture with the 300 f4 + 1.4 TC & I'm a bit excited. My forte has been shooting perching birds. With the above combo on a D200 I gave up on BIFs a long time ago.
A very dull morning with heavy cloud cover & the Buffleheads were about 60 meters away & moving extremely fast.
Details

Handheld, Aperture preferred, 1.3 crop mode, ISO 1600, f5.6, AF-C predictive 51 point autofocus, Auto WB

I will work on technique & settings before posting again. For some reason that I haven't been able to fathom the shutter speed was 1/8000....hmmm....something up with that.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Fri 29-Mar-13 11:37 AM
739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 1st BIFs for me"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 29-Mar-13 11:39 AM by luckyphoto

Port Charlotte, US

In the first photo, you have an ISO of 1600 and a lot of reflected light from the water into the sensor. That shutter speed wouldn't be surprising.

We look forward to more photos after you become more familiar with your new D7100.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Fri 29-Mar-13 01:03 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: 1st BIFs for me"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

I agree with Larry regarding the reflective brightness from the water. Not certain if all shots were showing 1/8000 but I'd believe not.
As a test set the same settings and focus on an object that isn't very bright and record the speed. Then with the same settings focus on something really bright (perhaps the same water location) and you should see the speed really jump. Enjoy the experience.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

kayakers11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Nov 2012Fri 29-Mar-13 03:15 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: 1st BIFs for me"
In response to Reply # 2

Havelock, CA

Thanks...I'm experimenting. These photos were taken in sequence as the bufflehead took off from the water & flew parallel to where I was standing. As you've noted it flew from a reflected light area to an area of the water shadowed by trees....all 3 shots had a shutter speed of 1/8000.

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Fri 29-Mar-13 06:09 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: 1st BIFs for me"
In response to Reply # 3

Joanna, US

Hi Russ,

Since they were taken in sequence it makes sense that all were 1/8000. First shot started the process and next two followed suit while in continuous mode. I thought they might have been separate shots. Good luck with the experimenting and continue to post.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Escaladieu Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2010Sat 30-Mar-13 08:30 AM
655 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: 1st BIFs for me"
In response to Reply # 0

Artiguemy, FR

That looks promising - I'm sure that with better light you will get some great shots ...

Personal Blog
http://www.blog-jeff-holdgate.co.uk

jamtins Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2011Sat 30-Mar-13 09:44 PM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: 1st BIFs for me"
In response to Reply # 0

Meadow Heights, AU

Thanks for posting these images. They encourage me so much.
It confirms my own findings that the focus locks, and stays locked, no hesitation.
The 1600 ISO looks fabulous and I'll be looking at that next.
After a week with the new toy, I can say its not toy, but really a pleasure to work with. My poor old D2x looks like it will finally be retired.

.. I set out to discover the inventions of God. -John Muir

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25810 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.