Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2465
View in threaded mode

Subject: "D7000 hot pixels should I buy now?" Previous topic | Next topic
geneluck Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Oct 2004Sat 27-Nov-10 11:48 AM
2406 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 hot pixels should I buy now?"

Reading, GB

I have seen more reports here and on the web of people having these hot or dead pixels even with still pictures. I am going to travel to India in a week's time for 2 months , planning to take 8-10000 pictures and have pre-ordered a D7000 with 35f1.8. I wanted to replace my D60 which I used quite successul in Asia in a previous trip, but found wanting on 2 fronts : speed and accuracy of AF for street scenes, and not so good for low-light shots. I am sure I can manage with the D60, but feel I would certainly benefit from taking the D7000 instead, but I will have no time to return the thing before I come back. So should I wait or go for it, even if I have a couple of hot|dead pixels?
P.S: I am not interested at this stage to discuss the merits of another camera. Thank you for your input.
Jean-luc

geneluck

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Sat 27-Nov-10 12:45 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 hot pixels should I buy now?"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Whenever Nikon releases a camera, threads reporting hot and dead pixels can be easily located.

I wouldn't worry about it very much. How many D7000's has Nikon sold to date? They can't even keep them in stock. How may report are there about dead/hot pixels? A few. The number sold is significantly greater than the number of reports.

Of the few reports there are about hot or dead pixels, the vast majority are complaints about the video, not still photos. Of the ones about the video most deal with 1080p at higher ISOs, though not all.

You should know that all DSLRs are prone to hot pixels especially in video. Search for D90 and Hot Pixels on the internet and look at all the threads that were out about the D90's video when it came out. Same for the 300s.

Further, if you do have a hot or dead pixel in a still photo it is pretty easy to remove, in fact, you can batch remove it using Lightroom's spot removal tool until you can have the sensor remapped.

The likelihood of getting a d7000 with these issues is small imo. No more than getting any other problem known to exist in any of the various cameras on the market, Nikon or Canon or otherwise. The internet has a way of concentrating the complaints and making them seem much more widespread than they are. Whenever anyone has an issue with their camera they will hit the forums to see what can be done. The 1000's with no problems are out happily shooting.

My D7000 has zero dead and zero hot pixels so far. If I develop one later though (and most cameras do), no big deal.

You are going to love the low light capability of the D7000, it is truly impressive.

Jason

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

geneluck Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Oct 2004Sat 27-Nov-10 01:10 PM
2406 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 hot pixels should I buy now?"
In response to Reply # 1
Sat 27-Nov-10 01:57 PM by geneluck

Reading, GB

Thank you Jason for your encouraging response. I am not really planning to do much video, it is not a feature for which I desire to upgrade. Still would be a bit annoying having to deal with this number of photos being affected but not a major problem. Is this re-mapping just ignoring the bad pixels or using some king of extrpolation, or just picking values from the adjacent pixels? IS there a danger that this number of pixels might just keep growing ? I normally shoot with the D700 and have not noticed one on this camera.
Jean-luc

geneluck

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Sat 27-Nov-10 02:46 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 hot pixels should I buy now?"
In response to Reply # 2
Sat 27-Nov-10 02:47 PM by JPJ

Toronto, CA

If a pixel is truly dead, when they remap it, my understanding is that they flag it to derive its value from an average of the surrounding pixels.

As to whether the number of pixels would grow, it is always possible that any camera can develop one or more dead or hot pixels over time. Your d700 could still develop them. I googled 'nikon d700 dead pixel' and dozens of threads came up in various camera forums from people reporting a problem. Is the d700 prone to dead pixels? Absolutely not. Does it happen? Absolutely.

Why worry about it? The likelihood that your camera will develop one is not great in my opinion. The actual incidence compared to cameras sold is almost certainly low. If it does happen it can be fixed.

The reality is it is not likely to be an issue for most users.

Jason

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sat 27-Nov-10 05:17 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 hot pixels should I buy now?"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

I just picked up my 7k yesterday and had a chance to take a few pictures this morning. Very fast focus, quite, and smooth shutter. As far as I can tell I have no hot/dead pixels on the shots taken. Although you might not be able to return it, you certainly could address any issues with Nikon since the camera has a 1 year warranty. The store I bought mine from, Wolf Camera, will handle all paperwork and packaging should I have a problem. I truly believe the risk is minimal compared to the rewards. Good luck with your decision and trip.

Regards,
John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

geneluck Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Oct 2004Sat 27-Nov-10 09:07 PM
#5. "RE: D7000 hot pixels should I buy now?"
In response to Reply # 3

Reading, GB

Thanks Jason. I am not unduly worried but I always prefer to know and understand if possible before taking a decision. This camera is quite expensive especially in the UK , so I want to make sure that there is no potential design fault or other problem. Thank you for your help.
Jean-luc

geneluck

geneluck Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Oct 2004Sat 27-Nov-10 09:10 PM
#6. "RE: D7000 hot pixels should I buy now?"
In response to Reply # 4

Reading, GB

Thank you John. I am essentially probing to have an idea of the scale and importance (or lack of it) of this pixel issue.I tend not to be the one who jumps for the latest camera, as soon as it is released, but with this trip to India, it is a real opportunity which I do not want to miss.
Jean-luc

geneluck

geneluck Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Oct 2004Fri 03-Dec-10 08:05 AM
#7. "RE: D7000 hot pixels should I buy now?"
In response to Reply # 6

Reading, GB

I bought a D7000 2 days ago, tested it and found 2 hot red pixels on first video, right in the center bottom half. I decided to return it and bought a D90 instead. Good luck to you all with you D7000s.
Jean-luc

geneluck

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberFri 03-Dec-10 02:12 PM
10575 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 hot pixels should I buy now?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Nikon has acknowledged the existence of hot pixels issue during video capture on the D7000.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2465 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.