Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24561
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Will you be buying the D7100 now?" Previous topic | Next topic
TomNJ Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2006Sun 24-Feb-13 08:20 PM
195 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Will you be buying the D7100 now?"

Parlin, US

I know many people here tend to wait a few months when a new body is introduced to read expert assessments and allow any bugs to be worked out, but is this really necessary? I donít need an expert evaluation to tell me this is the body I have been waiting for to upgrade my ageing D80, and most software bugs can be addressed with firmware upgrades. That leaves just hardware defects, which seems like a real long shot.

As you can probably tell I really want this body! When I bought my D80 six years ago I decided to upgrade it when practical ISO sensitivity improves by two stops, or five years, whichever is later. As a hand-holder I value shutter speed, especially with some of my slower glass, so shooting at ISOs of 1200+ will really enhance my enjoyment. Iím pretty confident the D7100 does the trick and I would like to have it in time for spring in the mountains.

So what are the chances of an early purchase turning into a disappointment? Will you be ordering now or waiting, and why?

TomNJ

Please visit my Nikonian Gallery

Victorian Watercolors

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Ray B Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2008Sun 24-Feb-13 08:39 PM
210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 0

Worthing, GB

>As you can probably tell I really want this body! When I
>bought my D80 six years ago I decided to upgrade it when
>practical ISO sensitivity improves by two stops, or five
>years, whichever is later.

Hi Tom,

Looks like you're about to pull the trigger and need us to help you feel better about it, nothing wrong with that

Given your criteria we were basically there on the ISO performance with the D7000.

The D7100 is LIKELY to perform better still in this regard (but I guess you figured that bit already).

We have no real tests or reviews yet (I guess you figured that out too).

I'd be astonished if you ended up disappointed, on so many levels the sensors have improved since the D80. High ISO performance and vastly improved DR you will notice by quite some margin, for example

Clearly you are ready for an upgrade in a logical manner you decided long ago. Many of us could take a leaf out of your book and learn to be so logical and dispassionate. But NAS can strike any of us

Sorry for being absolutely no use at all, but in the absence of real data all we can do is make educated assumptions.

Regards, Ray

Visit: My Nikonians Gallery

NikonMark37814 Registered since 20th May 2010Sun 24-Feb-13 09:07 PM
1125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 1

Morristown, US

I plan to get one provide a D400 isn't introduced. But I'll play the waiting game. I'm also interested in the D600 which seems to have a dust problem so I'm waiting to see if later releases solves that problem before I buy. I really want the D7100 for birding and wildlife but want to be sure all the kinks are worked out first.

mVs
D2x, D300s, D700 & D800

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 24-Feb-13 09:08 PM
11297 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Hi Tom,

I would not worry much about buying early. Just be sure that you buy from a reputable store and hold onto the D80 for a while until you are confident with the new camera.

The D7100 will be a huge jump up from your D80.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

meat Registered since 17th Feb 2012Sun 24-Feb-13 09:55 PM
138 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

>
>The D7100 will be a huge jump up from your D80.
>

I agree. Enjoy it!

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Sun 24-Feb-13 10:05 PM
466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lafayette, US

I upgraded from the D40 to the D7000. I was amazed at the difference. I think you will be amazed too.

I like the 1/3 crop in the new camera. Since, I usually have to crop anyway, that would be a plus. Still, I have no immediate plans on buying the D7100. Right now the D7000 is a solid birding/wildlife camera.

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

massulo Gold Member Nikonian since 07th May 2002Sun 24-Feb-13 10:10 PM
10509 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tampa/Lutz, US

Since no D400 =I'll be getting the D7100

Preston-(The Tampa Nikonian)..D300

-One does not know what one is missing - until you miss it..

My Website

bacil Basic MemberSun 24-Feb-13 10:15 PM
420 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 0

Excelsior, US

I would buy it as soon as it's available if I have the fund. I think the specs are great for the price.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 24-Feb-13 10:42 PM
11297 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 7

Lowden, US

The price is great. I am surprised they were able to release a body with these specifications without a price increase.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

massulo Gold Member Nikonian since 07th May 2002Sun 24-Feb-13 10:51 PM
10509 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 8

Tampa/Lutz, US

I feel that something is wrong at that price point is it replacing the D300
Dont get me wrong I dont want to pay more but it feels too cheap!!!!

Preston-(The Tampa Nikonian)..D300

-One does not know what one is missing - until you miss it..

My Website

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 24-Feb-13 11:34 PM
#10. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 9
Sun 24-Feb-13 11:38 PM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

I agree.

My feeling is that the low price point and the small buffer / slowish frame rate are an indication that a D400 is likely.

If this was supposed to appeal to the D300 crowed I think they would have given us a much deeper buffer Ė memory is cheap Ė there must be a reason, other than cost, to limit the buffer so severely. It looks to me like the buffer is an intentional crippling of the camera in order differentiate it from some higher level body.

I have planned to wait until 2014 for a D400 Ė after that I will decide which compromise I am willing to accept. I have been very happy with the images from my D300 & D300s for a few years now. I donít feel that I am missing out on anything important by waiting another year or so.

I very well may consider a D7100 as it would be a great compliment to the D300 (D400 if it comes) or even a D800.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

jamtins Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2011Mon 25-Feb-13 12:15 AM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 0

Meadow Heights, AU

I'm going to unload the D7000 and have pre-ordered a D7100.
It seems to me there will always be 'issues' with a release of a camera so why not have the fun of being part of the revolution.
Waiting until, the focus, oil, colour, flash, and other things that will be perceived as wrong are 'fixed', could take forever.
The only single concern I have is the buffer depth. Everything else should be enjoyable.
I've been hanging out for the D400 but will worry that if it is released.

.. I set out to discover the inventions of God. -John Muir

micro Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2008Mon 25-Feb-13 12:19 AM
505 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 0

walkertown, US

>I know many people here tend to wait a few months when a new
>body is introduced to read expert assessments and allow any
>bugs to be worked out, but is this really necessary? I donít
>need an expert evaluation to tell me this is the body I have
>been waiting for to upgrade my ageing D80, and most software
>bugs can be addressed with firmware upgrades. That leaves
>just hardware defects, which seems like a real long shot.
>
>years, whichever is later. As a hand-holder I value shutter
>speed, especially with some of my slower glass, so shooting at
>ISOs of 1200+ will really enhance my enjoyment. Iím pretty
>confident the D7100 does the trick and I would like to have it
>in time for spring in the mountains.
>
>So what are the chances of an early purchase turning into a
>disappointment? Will you be ordering now or waiting, and
>why?
>
>TomNJ
>

I just upgraded from a D-80 to the D-7000 three weeks ago do to the price drop.even if the 7100 was out then I still would have chosen the d-7k for the price.I am shocked at the iso performance from the d-80 to the d-7000.a 16 mp sensor is about all I can handle.it took me about 2 years to semi-master the D-80 and work around its limitations as best I could.(with a lot of help from nikoians).This D-7000 will keep me learning for a long,long time.Who knows where cameras performance levels will be by the time I am done with this one.Enjoy your D-7100 and it's learning curve,should keep you busy for a long time. Troy

there is no problem to big or small that can't be fixed with brute strength and ignorance visit my gallery

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 25-Feb-13 12:32 AM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I put my name in line at my local shop...

No manufacturer can afford to release a new body that's plagued with issues... Looking back over the D80/D200/D7000, every camera had it's share of internet chatter on things like overexposure to dust and back-focus.

There HAVE to be some bodies that won't be perfect, but I doubt it ever gets to the level of broad statistical significance.

On the other hand, if YOU get a problematic body than it's a 100% hassle.

Most reputable retailers have a generous return policy, and Nikon is a great company. Chances are you're just going to get a wonderful image-making machine, at a terrific price.

Bear in mind, once you purchase any digital camera you're buying into a benchmark that WILL get surpassed...

I for one think a D400 is possible, at $1700 bucks.

The buffer means almost nothing to me, but sensor quality and ISO perfomance. The D7000, at $1100, blows the doors off my D200 that cost much more. So, perhaps a D400 will have some neat and unique aspects (like a fully integrated battery grip). I doubt it will be a quantum leap over the D7100, because the 7100 has a great deal already packed in.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

plankowner110 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2004Mon 25-Feb-13 02:07 AM
469 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 13

Ohio, US

I still like the solid "feel" of my D300, so I am going to wait and see if a D400 comes along later this year.
Bill
D300
Nikon since 1970

Chuckster902 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Nov 2005Mon 25-Feb-13 02:26 AM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 14

Scotia, US

I'll be upgrading from a D80. Not sure a D400 for an additional $500 would be worth it to. Would rather spend the difference on glass.

Chuck S.

"Life is Messy."

PaintedRays Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Oct 2011Mon 25-Feb-13 02:28 AM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 14

Oregon, US

>I still like the solid "feel" of my D300, so I am
>going to wait and see if a D400 comes along later this year.
>Bill
>D300
>Nikon since 1970

Nikon Europe is now saying that the D7100 does not replace the D300S. According to Nikon Rumors. I'd look for The D400 next year. Nikon usually works lower end to higher end for those of us that upgrade repeatedly.

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/02/24/nikon-europe-the-d7100-is-not-positioned-to-replace-the-d300s.aspx/

www.paintedrays.com

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Mon 25-Feb-13 05:08 AM
6093 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

I probably won't be buying right away, but that's only because I don't need to. I already have a D7000, and I can wait until next fall's football season to get the D7100. And there is just the chance that the long-awaited "D400" will appear in the interim.

Then again, you never know when NAS will strike.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Toyse_Woody Registered since 20th Feb 2013Mon 25-Feb-13 12:27 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 17

Fort Worth, US

Yes I have placed my name on the list.
My D300 has plenty of life but the D7100 appears to offer a low light performance advantage that I need now because of a rule change in what I like to shoot .

DaddySS Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2006Mon 25-Feb-13 01:14 PM
799 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 3

Woodcliff Lake, US

>Hi Tom,
>
>I would not worry much about buying early. Just be sure that
>you buy from a reputable store and hold onto the D80 for a
>while until you are confident with the new camera.
>
>The D7100 will be a huge jump up from your D80.
>
Agree!

Richard

DaddySS Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2006Mon 25-Feb-13 01:18 PM
799 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 10

Woodcliff Lake, US

>I agree.
>
>My feeling is that the low price point and the small buffer /
>slowish frame rate are an indication that a D400 is likely.
>
>If this was supposed to appeal to the D300 crowed I think they
>would have given us a much deeper buffer Ė memory is cheap Ė
>there must be a reason, other than cost, to limit the buffer
>so severely. It looks to me like the buffer is an intentional
>crippling of the camera in order differentiate it from some
>higher level body.
>
>I have planned to wait until 2014 for a D400 Ė after that I
>will decide which compromise I am willing to accept. I have
>been very happy with the images from my D300 & D300s for a
>few years now. I donít feel that I am missing out on anything
>important by waiting another year or so.
>
>I very well may consider a D7100 as it would be a great
>compliment to the D300 (D400 if it comes) or even a D800.
Agree again, on all points. I too will wait and if by 2014 there is no D300s replacement, I will need to decide where and how to compromise.

Richard

Octobercrow1 Registered since 10th Dec 2012Mon 25-Feb-13 03:41 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I would definitely prefer to have this model over my D7000, but I am so torn between crop frame sensor and a full frame model. I have been admiring the D800 for quite a while, but the fact is I really can't invest in the glass now. I have only 2 relatively inexpensive lenses in my kit, so it's not like I'd be throwing too much equipment overboard. It's going to be a while anyway before I can even consider another camera, so this is all just hypothetical anyway. One can dream, right?

Robin M.

TonyJ Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Sep 2004Mon 25-Feb-13 04:10 PM
1266 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 0

Boulder, US

I got on a pre-order list. I'm keeping my ears and eyes open, though. If I see a D300s or a D700 come up at $500, I'll be very tempted to buy it and cancel. I sold my D300s to pick up my D700 and I miss it. I do like the better ISO performance of the 7000 series, though...

D800e l D600 l D700 l Nikon 1 V1 l N90s l AF-S 16-35 f4 l AF-S 24-85 f3.5-f4.5G VR l AF-S 70-200 f2.8G VRII l AF-S 50 f1.8G l AF-S 300 f4 l TC-14EII l TC-20EIII l 2x SB600 l Autometer IIIF.
http://tonyjohnsonphotos.com
https://www.facebook.com/tony.johnson.photography
My Nikonians Gallery

TonyJ Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Sep 2004Mon 25-Feb-13 04:11 PM
1266 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 22

Boulder, US

The other thing I'm doing is putting together the fund to pay for it and if I can grow it quickly enough, I may just opt to get a D800 instead...

D800e l D600 l D700 l Nikon 1 V1 l N90s l AF-S 16-35 f4 l AF-S 24-85 f3.5-f4.5G VR l AF-S 70-200 f2.8G VRII l AF-S 50 f1.8G l AF-S 300 f4 l TC-14EII l TC-20EIII l 2x SB600 l Autometer IIIF.
My Nikonians Gallery

CherylB Registered since 18th Feb 2013Mon 25-Feb-13 04:36 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Just ordered mine this weekend...expected ship date towards the end of March! Upgrading from the D90.

TomNJ Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2006Mon 25-Feb-13 05:21 PM
195 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 25-Feb-13 05:52 PM by TomNJ

Parlin, US

Okay, y'all had a day to talk me out of this and (thankfully) failed. I placed a pre-order for the D7100 with B&H today!

As much as I would love to think of myself as a first class photographer after more than 45 years behind the lens, the reality is this is just a hobby and a D400 or D800 would be well beyond my needs. I prefer a smaller, lighter weight body in APS-C format for my shooting style, so the D7100 fits me perfectly.

Thanks for all of your input and please carry on!!

TomNJ

Victorian Watercolors

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 25-Feb-13 05:40 PM
#26. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 25

Lowden, US

Congratulations, you will be enjoying a truly outstanding camera soon!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

torwood Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2010Mon 25-Feb-13 05:45 PM
666 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 24

Jefferson Hills, US

I'll be waiting. I definitely want one of these, it's just that I don't need it right now. My D7000 does fine for summer outdoor field sports, and I can't come up with the cash, right now. I'll wait until next fall for the price to drop, for the supply to increase, and for the odd chance that a D400 comes along to compare it to - though I can't imagine what a D400 would offer me that I need over a D7100, except maybe a chance to look like a pro.

I never buy a new product when it first comes out. It has less to do with quality issues than with price. I like to let early adopters pay the "New" premium. I wait at least a year for DSLR's, so that I get a 10% discount, typically. I do the same thing with cars. I recently bypassed the new Cadillac ATS because it's brand new, and nobody is discounting them. When my current lease is up, they'll be giving them away for $6,000 off the sticker.

I bought my D7000 a year after release for $1,000 (it released at $1,200). A friend just bought one for $700, brand new. That is a GREAT camera for that price.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Mon 25-Feb-13 07:30 PM
6093 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"

Wethersfield, US

>Okay, y'all had a day to talk me out of this and (thankfully)
>failed.

You're welcome!

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

kayakers11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Nov 2012Mon 25-Feb-13 07:57 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 26

Havelock, CA

Preordered a D200 when it was 1st announced, lived through the
initial "banding" issues & grew to treasure that
camera for the next 6 years or so. In the interim I passed up
opportunities to acquire the D90, D300, D300S & the D7000.
But now, sadly, the venerable old lady is aging rapidly &
its time to retire her. (the camera, not my better half) I've
now preordered the D7100 & hope that I have the same
success with it as I did with the D200. I know I'm going to
miss some things, particularly the external controls, but at
my age (68)I don't want to lug around the weight of a pro
style body. Hopefully, here in Canada, we'll get the D7100 on
or around March 21. 

One question: the accessories sheet for the D7100 does not
list the SB800 flash as an accessory. I assume that's because
its been archived. Could someone confirm that the SB800 indeed
works on the D7100. Hate to buy another flash as it took me
several years to learn all about this one. (slow learner)

Toyse_Woody Registered since 20th Feb 2013Mon 25-Feb-13 08:03 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 29
Mon 25-Feb-13 08:04 PM by Toyse_Woody

Fort Worth, US

>One question: the accessories sheet for the D7100 does not
>list the SB800 flash as an accessory. I assume that's because
>its been archived. Could someone confirm that the SB800 indeed
>works on the D7100. Hate to buy another flash as it took me
>several years to learn all about this one. (slow learner)
>
Yes the SB800 will work
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7100/spec.htm

Nikon Creative Lighting
System (CLS)
Advanced Wireless Lighting supported with: SB-910, SB-900, SB-800 or SB-700 as a master flash and SB-600 or SB-R200 as remotes or SU-800 as commander; built-in flash can serve as master flash in commander mode
Auto FP High-Speed Sync and modeling illumination supported with all CLS-compatible flash units except SB-400; Flash Color Information Communication and FV lock supported with all CLS-compatible flash units

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Mon 25-Feb-13 09:42 PM
294 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 21

Aventura, US

I am in the same boat,-thinking about going full frame. I am deciding against the d800 because 36 mp is overkill for me. I ruled out the d600 because I want a better autofocus system. So it,s either the 7100 or wait for an improved d600.

Puddlepyrate2013 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2013Mon 25-Feb-13 11:53 PM
102 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 28
Tue 26-Feb-13 12:00 AM by Puddlepyrate2013

Portsmouth, US

Wow, Tom with all the response's, I would have given up sooner. LOL... I have only had my d7000 for a month and a half, so I am good for the time being, plus I have my d90 as backup. I am amazed though at the amount of NAS, that this Nikon release has created. It is no longer a syndrome, but a pandemic! The excitement in this group is contagious, yes, I even caught myself for a moment thinking of selling the d90 and using the proceeds to help fund the d7100. A self induced slap to the back of my head has taken care of the urge for the moment, but I fear it is only a temporary fix. Plus, at my age anymore head slapping will affect my ability to use the d7100 when the time comes.
What has Nikon teamed the d7100 up with for a lens kit.

My best for you and your new baby, hopefully it will be an early delivery!!!

Bob

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Tue 26-Feb-13 12:08 AM
#33. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 32

Wethersfield, US

>What has Nikon teamed the d7100 up with for a lens kit.

They are kitting the D7100 with the AF-S 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 VR lens.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

EZRDRZ Registered since 20th Jan 2013Tue 26-Feb-13 01:01 AM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

Hi Tom,

I doubt you would be disapointed in the D7100...

Theres also the option of picking up a GOOD buy on a 7000... isnt there?
As they start to phase out probably. Not many bad things said on them. Excellent low light/high ISO performer...

Another way of looking at it would be to look at the jump towards FX format from DX...Go look for a good buy on a D800, 700 OR MAYBE 600 even?

Thats the way I would look at it if I was in your situation. I expect you are going to hang on to your D80? And of course your glass ware will probably be more than ok to begin with. Sorry if that mixes thngs up a bit, just thought I'd throw some ideas around.

All the best,

Kelvin

Snapshott Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Sep 2007Tue 26-Feb-13 01:36 AM
396 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"

Richmond, US

>Okay, y'all had a day to talk me out of this and (thankfully)
>failed. I placed a pre-order for the D7100 with B&H
>today!
>
>As much as I would love to think of myself as a first class
>photographer after more than 45 years behind the lens, the
>reality is this is just a hobby and a D400 or D800 would be
>well beyond my needs. I prefer a smaller, lighter weight body
>in APS-C format for my shooting style, so the D7100 fits me
>perfectly.
>
>Thanks for all of your input and please carry on!!
>
>TomNJ
You won't be disappointed coming from the D80. I got one of the first D7000 and the only problem I ever had was the oil splatter. Had to clean the sensor a few times and still do every once in a while but never considered it a big problem.

BTW IMO the D7000 is at least 2 stops better in the low noise department that the D80 so you should love the D7100.

Ronald_D7100 Registered since 24th Feb 2013Tue 26-Feb-13 07:21 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 34

NL

Hello, Nikonians, new here, and that's because of the D7100.
Having been served by my D200 nicely trying to understand the digital photography, it's now time to upgrade. Hopefully better daylicht visibility on screen, better ISO performance, more pixels. Why wait? Everything in life will have flaws, and you will find a way to work around. And the next Nikon will also have flaws. And the D7100 is there now (well in a month time or so). No FX for me because of the DX lenses I have. And the D7100 is probably too much of a chalenge for me already, keep studying for the next years. Probably it's me that is the bottleneck, not the equipment. I hope to have a lot of fun with the D7100. And I hope you have too, whichever body you work with.
Ronald

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Tue 26-Feb-13 12:52 PM
294 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#37. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 36

Aventura, US

Just curious. I have trouble seeing the D7000 LCD when it is sunny. I know the D7100 LCD is larger and has more resolution, but why do you think it will have better visibility when it is sunny? If it is that would be a big help.

I also have some difficulty with the viewfinder text in the D7000. Since the D7100 will have an OLED display for this I think that will be a big useability improvement.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Tue 26-Feb-13 01:18 PM
#38. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 37

Wethersfield, US

>Just curious. I have trouble seeing the D7000 LCD when it is
>sunny. I know the D7100 LCD is larger and has more resolution,
>but why do you think it will have better visibility when it is
>sunny? If it is that would be a big help.

Because Nikon says it will.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

TomNJ Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2006Tue 26-Feb-13 01:19 PM
#39. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 34
Wed 27-Feb-13 06:31 PM by TomNJ

Parlin, US

>Theres also the option of picking up a GOOD buy on a 7000...
>isnt there?
>Another way of looking at it would be to look at the jump
>towards FX format from DX...Go look for a good buy on a D800,
>700 OR MAYBE 600 even?

Yes I have considered those options, but the siren song of the D7100 shattered those ships on the rocks. Since I will be keeping the D7100 for at least five years, I want the latest technology, and money is not an issue. The FX choices were tempting, but since most of my work is at longer focal lengths I appreciate the DX crop factor, as well as the lighter weight of the equipment.

As for my D80, my wife has dibs on that! While she knows zip about the technical side of photography, she borrowed my D80 with my humble 18-200mm lens one day in Hawaii to shoot some flowers and produced these hand-held shots. Ever since she has been encouraging me to upgrade so she can have the D80. What a gal! Not a bad trick for those infected with a bad dose of NAS!

TomNJ

Victorian Watercolors

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Tue 26-Feb-13 01:26 PM
#40. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 38

Aventura, US

Thanks for the link. Sounds good.

cosmicfires Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Nov 2011Tue 26-Feb-13 05:14 PM
331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#41. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 26-Feb-13 05:29 PM by cosmicfires

Lynnwood, US

If I had a D80 or D90 I'd get a D7100 now. I have a D7000 so I'm waiting for the D400. The D7000 was a huge leap forward from my D80 in many ways.

my website

bigbear1 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Mar 2006Wed 27-Feb-13 04:54 PM
837 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#42. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 0

Roanoke, US

The D7100 looks great on paper. I'm eager to see the results of field and bench tests. Like many film shooters, I held out on going digital as long as I could. The D200 was my first DSLR. I later moved to the D300 (still an excellent workhorse camera) and then the D7000, mostly for the better low-light performance and video capability.

While I'm pleased with the D7000, I miss the slightly larger body of the D300. It just seemed to fit my hand more naturally. It looks like the D7100 is a bit larger than the 7000, so it might be a better fit for me. As an HDR shooter, I also miss the 9 exposure
bracketing range of the D300. The D7000 limits me to a three exposure sequence.

One thing that really annoys me is the need for a new battery grip with each new camera generation, as well as a new set of RRS L-brackets. These ancillary items are really pricey and I'd instead prefer to spend money on quality glass and lighting gear.

I'm holding back on buying the D7100 for now and will continue to hope for D400 within the next 12-14 months. Perhaps I'll be able to use the grip, batteries and brackets from my D300, but somehow I doubt I'll be able to.

One thing I'm sure of is that I'll stay with the DX format at least until 2015. I've been more than satisfied with DX and I currently have a nice assortment of pro DX lenses. I'd like to see Nikon introduce a couple of fast wide-angle primes. A 12mm f/1.8 and a 20mm f/1.8 would really round out my kit.

Right now, however, I'm investing in upgrading my computer, software, monitor and printer, so any new camera purchase will have to wait until next year.

gebbia Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Feb 2013Thu 28-Feb-13 12:24 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#43. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

... I'm on the wait list for one as of today. I was already planning to buy a high-quality DSLR and the intro of the D7100 was perfect timing.
Am I concerned about buying at introduction? No ... for two reasons:
- it's not a radical departure from something they already make
- it's a Nikon ... proven quality, proven support

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 28-Feb-13 01:33 AM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#44. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 42

US

>The D7100 looks great on paper. I'm eager to see the results
>of field and bench tests. Like many film shooters, I held out
>on going digital as long as I could. The D200 was my first
>DSLR. I later moved to the D300 (still an excellent workhorse
>camera) and then the D7000, mostly for the better low-light
>performance and video capability.

Like you, I was a reluctant convert to digital.

My initial foray was a D80, that didn't feel as solid as what I'd owned prior to (an Olympus OM4-Ti). I was leaving on a big trip to places with unknown conditions, so I made a quick shift to a D200. Very solid camera, although the image quality was the same as the D80 (and the high ISO capability a bit less so).

I then moved to the D7000, which to me is super solid, with phenomenal tonal range, higher MP's and MUCH better ISO capability. All of this costing a good deal LESS than the D200.

So now, along comes the D7100 at the SAME price point! For me, I want the 24mp's and a more sophisticated focus module, without losing the build quality.

I like the reach of DX with my 150 and 300mm, and I have great super-wide and medium tele zooms.

Would I like a D400? Maybe, but when I know what $1199. can do, a D400 would have to be uniquely special to make it more desirable.

Perhaps it will be. But it will have to be significantly more expensive than the D7100, and for me, the law of diminishing returns will probably set in too soon to care.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 28-Feb-13 01:36 AM
#45. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 42
Thu 28-Feb-13 01:45 AM by billD80

US

Like you, I was a reluctant convert to digital.

My initial foray was a D80, that didn't feel as solid as what I'd owned prior to (an Olympus OM4-Ti). I was leaving on a big trip to places with unknown conditions, so I made a quick shift to a D200. Very solid camera, although the image quality was the same as the D80 (and the high ISO capability a bit less so).

I then moved to the D7000, which to me is super solid, with phenomenal tonal range, higher MP's and MUCH better ISO capability. All of this costing a good deal LESS than the D200.

So now, along comes the D7100 at the SAME price point! For me, I want the 24mp's and a more sophisticated focus module, without losing the build quality.

I like the reach of DX with my 150 and 300mm, and I have great DX super-wide and medium tele zooms.

Would I like a D400? Maybe, but when I know what $1199. can do, a D400 would have to be uniquely special to make it more desirable.

Perhaps it will be. But it will have to be significantly more expensive than the D7100, and for me, the law of diminishing returns will probably set in too soon to make the purchase worth it.

PaintedRays Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Oct 2011Thu 28-Feb-13 01:51 AM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#46. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 43

Oregon, US

>... proven support
>
Make that notorious support. But back to the topic. I sold my D7000 a couple of months ago and now am without the DX format. Due to my lack of lenses beyond 300mm, a motorsports photography addiction and the new focusing prowess, I ordered mine the morning after the announcement. I love my D4, but it's weight is unfortunately causing me problems. I am thinking I will sell it in favor of either the D800 or (probably) the D600. But I have to wait till I complete a wedding shoot in March. I will rent a D600 as a backup to give it a go. My D7000 just didn't have the quick focusing to keep up with speeding motorcycles in close quarters. I had to set a focus trap to get better results.

www.paintedrays.com

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 28-Feb-13 02:01 AM
#47. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 43

US

>... I'm on the wait list for one as of today. I was already
>planning to buy a high-quality DSLR and the intro of the D7100
>was perfect timing.
> Am I concerned about buying at introduction? No ... for two
>reasons:
>- it's not a radical departure from something they already
>make
>- it's a Nikon ... proven quality, proven support
>

Nikon is one of the only companies left where you can phone up and get a competent live person in very short order.

I made one call relative to my D200, and got a full cleaning/check-up for that camera turned around inside of one week (free).

I've made a few calls regarding Capture NX, but again, great response.

No problems/calls with my D7000... But if there had been, I think the response would have been consistent with prior experience.

Moira Registered since 28th Feb 2013Thu 28-Feb-13 05:32 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#49. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 0

Escondido, US

Like everybody else here, I'm very interested in this new body. And like quite a few, I'm even more interested in the possibility of a D400 coming out within the next year.

I'd see the 7100 as a great upgrade to a future 2nd body (assuming the D400 does materialize). My current primary body is a D300s and the low-light handling is frankly very frustrating.

There are a couple of factors putting me off the 7100 (not deal breakers):
- Moving to all SD cards instead of CF;
- The vastly different controls system (going from D200 to D300/s was painless).
Like I say, not deal breakers, just more reasons to keep hoping for the D400 (which, since Nikon is saying the 7100 doesn't replace the D300s, is more hopeful than before).

BUT having said all the above, my main question is one I haven't seen anywhere else yet: if the Low Pass Filter is removed (and don't get me wrong, I obsess over sharpness with the best of them!) how do we handle the dust problem? Does every single speck that doesn't easily blow off result in shipping the dang thing off to Nikon for a two-week-turnaround repair?

(I'm based in SoCal, and even with ground shipping effectively equaling overnight delivery, I still can't get a simple cleaning job done & have the camera back in less than two weeks. It's maddening. YMMV. No, I'm not yet an NPS member.)

I'd be very interested to hear what D800s owners have to say about this dust / unprotected sensor issue - how do they cope? Because this really would be a deal breaker for me.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Thu 28-Feb-13 05:37 PM
#50. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 49

Wethersfield, US

Even the D800E has a filter over the sensor -- it's just not a classic low-pass filter. So we are in new territory here. That said, my guess is that either the sensor surface itself is as rugged as a LPF or they are putting a simple piece of optical glass over it to protect it. After all, Nikon's service people have to be able to clean it, too.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 28-Feb-13 05:42 PM
#51. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 49

US

>There are a couple of factors putting me off the 7100 (not
>deal breakers):
>- Moving to all SD cards instead of CF;
>- The vastly different controls system (going from D200 to
>D300/s was painless).

For me, coming from the D200, I didn't like the SD card switch. I still don't, because, to me, they're too small. BUT I LOVE the 2-card ability.

As to the controls, yes, some are moved, but they're easily accessible, so that adjustment was minor.

Moira Registered since 28th Feb 2013Thu 28-Feb-13 05:57 PM
#52. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 50

Escondido, US

>Even the D800E has a filter over the sensor -- it's just not
>a classic low-pass filter. So we are in new territory here.
>That said, my guess is that either the sensor surface itself
>is as rugged as a LPF or they are putting a simple piece of
>optical glass over it to protect it. After all, Nikon's
>service people have to be able to clean it, too.
>

I hear you, but that's an awfully big assumption to make. I agree it's a logical one, but I want to see some solid info on it, either a KB article from Nikon (preferably) or a lot of D800s owners chiming in on their experiences. And if there is some sot of protection over the D7100 sensor - what? Is it the same as the D800s? It's the "new territory" aspect that's making me itchy, y'know?

Inquiring minds (and prospective customers) want to know!

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Thu 28-Feb-13 08:01 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#53. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 52

Newburg, US

There will still be an optical filter over the sensor - to block IR if nothing else. It just won't have the lithium niobate bifringent layers. The dust reduction system will be vibrating that optical filter to remove dust, not the sensor.

Visit my gallery.

bigbear1 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Mar 2006Thu 28-Feb-13 08:36 PM
837 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#54. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 51

Roanoke, US

I have at least a dozen 4GB CF cards that have been sitting in the drawer since I sold my D300
last year. I'm hoping that I can use them in the D400.

I'm a little nervous about the SD cards (use them in D7000 and V1 cameras), because they are quite delicate and need to be handled carefully. But like you, I like the dual-slot capability, which means I won't have to change them out too often.
bigbear1

smh Registered since 21st Sep 2007Fri 01-Mar-13 01:05 AM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#55. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lexington, US

sadly, I have been diagnosed with a terminal case of Last Camera Syndrome. So I figured "what the hell": I ordered a D7100
On a serious note, I have seen first-hand the advantage of pixels. Specifically, more of them. Never mind the lens you have or have not to put in front of that sensor; pixels count.
Beyond that, from reading advance hands-on reviews, it seems to me as though this model has more going for it than that.

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Fri 01-Mar-13 05:04 AM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#56. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>Will you be ordering now or waiting, and
>why?
>
>TomNJ
>
Waiting. Every time I think otherwise, I go through my catalog, and honestly can't find any fault with the technology of the D7000 in those pictures. Any lack is in my ability.

rbaley680 Registered since 21st Sep 2012Wed 06-Mar-13 01:28 AM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#57. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 56

Elgin, US

Also holding, with D90 & D7000 in the bag.

mborn1 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Nov 2008Wed 06-Mar-13 01:01 PM
201 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#58. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 0

Taunton, US

On order Will have it as soon as it arrive at the store, Cannot wait to try it out

Myer
Photo Bee1
http://photobee1.blogspot.com/
http://photobee1.com

RobertK Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2013Wed 06-Mar-13 01:12 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#59. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 06-Mar-13 01:18 PM by RobertK

Roselle, US

Iím a new member here and have pre-ordered the D7100 body from B&H. My camera for the last 10 years has been the Coolpix 5700. Before the 5700 I had an EOS 10s and an AE1 Program. The 5700 still takes great pictures but after a vacation last year in which I visited Arches National Park and the Grand Canyon, I wanted something better. The D7100 should be a quantum leap from the 5700 and I look forward to posting some pictures here as soon as I receive it.

For my first lens Iíve decided on the 18-200mm VRII zoom which I will purchase next week (unless someone can convince me that this is a mistake) so that the lens will arrive just before the body.

Robert K.

TonyJ Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Sep 2004Wed 06-Mar-13 01:43 PM
#60. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 59

Boulder, US

Personally, I'd prefer the 18-55mm & 55-200mm kit lenses. You can find them used on Craigs for $100 each and they are very sharp/fast lenses. The 18-105mm is also a good substitute for the 18-55mm, but will be pricier. Throw in a 50mm f1.8G for a couple of hundred and you've got a nice kit. The 18-200mm is a good lens, but not really good bang for the buck. If you can find the VR2 version around $400 used, it starts looking a lot better...

My Nikonians Gallery

BrianNK Registered since 25th Feb 2013Wed 06-Mar-13 03:00 PM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#61. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 60
Wed 06-Mar-13 03:04 PM by BrianNK

US

I've owned the D7000 for about two years and i Pre-Ordered the D7100 the day it was announced..

I shoot high school and pee-wee sports (field and indoor sports) and while i LOVED my D7000 i think its worth the few hundred $$ i'll loose by 'upgrading' to the D7100.

Here is my list of things i'm looking forward to as an ex D7000 owner (sold my D7000 this week)..

1) The new High intensity / High-contrast display in the viewfinder! I don't always get to pick what sidelines i shoot from (If you've ever shot HS varsity Rugby you'll know its sometimes not safe on the other teams side ). In bright daylight its sometimes hard for me to see the display in the viewfinder on the D7000. Maybe its because im getting old, but there have been times I've shot a quarter with an f/stop wrong because i couldn't see the display due to sun-glare / brightness. (i never said i was a pro!)

2) The Virtual horizon is moved off the exposure bar and onto the viewfinder display. On the D7000 you held down the FN button and the Virtual horizon would replace the exposure information in the viewfinder. Now (hopefully) its on the display all the time.

3) The AE-L/AF-L button has been moved over just a smidgen. While most people don't care or even notice... i prefer 'back button autofocus' and im tired of my finger sticking in my eye while i hold down the AE-L/AF-L button because NIKON WONT GOVE ME A DEDICATED AF-ON button! (I don't believe in the D400... so don't tell me to wait for it). Moving over the AE-L/AF-L even just a hair will help!

4) D800/D300s level weather sealing! It's hard enough for me not to get wet at youth swim meets.. asking the camera to stay dry is even harder.

5) Mode lock button. I use the U1 and U2 settings all the time.. mostly so i can set the camera back to 'auto' if i have to hand it to my wife. There have been times she's pulled my camera out of the bag only to have the mode dial move on her.. then she gets mad at me because she couldn't get the camera to work (see my comment about back-button-autofocus).

6) The grip is wider then the D7000.

7) There are a few more Mega Pixels.

8) 51 point autofocus with "an algorithm equivalent to that of the D4"

9) 1.3x crop mode might be interesting.

But mostly its just a few little things that have me the most excited

And heck.. with all the D800 and D600 problems you know Nikon is making every single D7100 perfect at launch right?!?! There should be no problems being an early adopter!!

bigbear1 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Mar 2006Wed 06-Mar-13 04:12 PM
#62. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 59

Roanoke, US

Robert - Just a suggestion: rather than buying the 18-200, why not consider a 16-85 AND a 70-300? You'll appreciate that extra 2mm at the wide end, believe me. The 18-200 is an alternative if you're buying just one lens, but I think you'll get more bang for buck with this combo.

I traveled in France this past summer and took a 16-85 and 70-300, as well as a fast 35 f/1.8. After sorting through my shots, I found that I used the 16-85 for about 80% of them.

You can find both of these lenses used for about $500 (16-85) and $375-ish (70-300). A lot of Nikonians are selling their DX lenses as they move up to full frame (although the 70-300) is an FX lens).

I recently sold my 70-300 to a local fellow, and I'll be advertising my 16-85 on the Sell Forum as soon as I can shoot some pics of it. (I also have a 17-55, which is my favorite lens, as well as a 70-200 and a 300 f/4.) Most of the time, I'm working out the car, so having a lightweight kit isn't that important to me right now.

I don't mean to sound self-serving. I just thought I'd throw out an idea for you to consider.

Good luck with the D7100 and let us know how you like it!

Regards,
John
bigbear1

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Wed 06-Mar-13 04:17 PM
#63. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 61

US

>4) D800/D300s level weather sealing! It's hard enough for me
>not to get wet at youth swim meets.. asking the camera to stay
>dry is even harder.
>
>6) The grip is wider then the D7000.
>
>7) There are a few more Mega Pixels.
>
>8) 51 point autofocus with "an algorithm equivalent to
>that of the D4"
>

These are my main reasons too. I like the ability to shoot in mist or high humidity, the bigger grip may mean I can forgo the battery grip (less weight), I commonly print at 20x30" so the extra MP could be good, and shooting some action shots, I like the upper level AF system.

bigbear1 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Mar 2006Wed 06-Mar-13 04:17 PM
#64. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 61

Roanoke, US

Brian,
You make some excellent points. I'm willing to wait a while and see how the 7100 tests on the bench and in the field. I've got my heart set on a D400, but I may go with the D7100 and keep my 7000 as a back-up and second camera for event and studio work. In any case, I hate having to shell out additional cash for a new set of RRS brackets and grip for a new body.
bigbear1

Pugzilla Gold Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2008Wed 06-Mar-13 10:11 PM
209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#65. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 64

Boca Raton, US

Unlike my D700, bought new in 8/08 and sold 2/13, my D7000 is just 2 months over 2 years in age. Somehow, and not necessarily reasonably, before the 700 left, it willed itself into becoming not only a D800, but a D600 as well. I had absolutely NOTHING to do with this. I was convinced.

However, convincing the wife was more difficult.

How's this for rationalization? Having both the D600 and D800 makes it totally unnecessary to wait for the D400, which would just cost much more anyway. And what would my poor collection of FX lenses do if I sold the D7000 without replacing it?

So my D7100 is on order at one of my local dealers. And the D7000 will get a new lease on life with a new, grateful owner.

*sniff*

Walter

Never criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and have his shoes!

F2AS Registered since 23rd Nov 2005Wed 06-Mar-13 11:35 PM
481 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#66. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 62

Washington, US

As a recently retired D300s owner, I've been leaning towards getting a D800 as a retirement gift to myself, but the D7100 has made me rethink that. I'm anxiously awaiting the first tests of the sensor, particularly on how well it compares to the D600. Resolution should be the same or slightly better I would think. That said, I still think there's a 50-50 chance we'll see a "D400" DX patterned off of the D800 announced by June. Whether I would be willing to pay another $500 or so for it, I'm not sure.

Mike

RobertK Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2013Thu 07-Mar-13 03:09 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#67. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 62

Roselle, US

>Robert - Just a suggestion: rather than buying the 18-200,
>why not consider a 16-85 AND a 70-300? You'll appreciate that
>extra 2mm at the wide end, believe me. The 18-200 is an
>alternative if you're buying just one lens, but I think you'll
>get more bang for buck with this combo.
>

Checking the specs on the 16-85 and it's the same speed of the 18-200 and almost the same price but lacking the extra magnification. Please enlighten me on why it's a better buy.

bigbear1 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Mar 2006Thu 07-Mar-13 09:32 PM
#68. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 67

Roanoke, US

Robert -- Check out and compare the reviews of both lenses on bythom.com, dpreview.com. and photozone.de. There are also user reviews posted on fredmiranda.com, amazon.com and bhphoto.com.

As I said, if the 18-200 would be your only DX lens, it's fine, but I think you'll eventually want the flexibility and focal range that you'll get from the 16-85 and 70-300 combo. Just sayin'.

If money is no object, I'd choose the Nikon 12-24, Nikon 17-55 and Nikon 70-200 trio.

John

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Fri 08-Mar-13 12:17 AM
466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#69. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 67

Lafayette, US

Robert, First of all welcome to Nikonians. I think you will find, as we did, that this place is one of the most useful sites to learn about your camera and how to better use the camera.

Now for the Nikon 18-200. I have the earlier version of that lens the VR model. It was the first lens I bought after the 18-55 and 55-200 kit lenses. I have used it for years on three different cameras and it has proven to do just fine.

Take the comments you hear about that lens with a grain of salt. They are correct. It is a so so lens, compared to the top of the line lenses. However, as a do it all lens it is a great value. Last spring my wife and I went to Hawaii for two weeks. Now, I have way more lenses than I need. But, I took only that lens and the f/1.8 35mm for night work. It did great and provided me with some excellent photos.

I mentioned taking a lot of the comments against the lens with a grain of salt. The reason I say that is that most of the photographers who frequent Nikonians are not exactly your weekend casual photographer. They have years of experience shooting a lot of lenses. They naturally strive for the best results and the best equipment.

If I can use an analogy, look at audiophiles. Some of these guys and gals would turn their noses up at a CD. Give them pure audio from vinyl. I will take their word that vinyl provides purer music. (ten years of flying military jets took away much of my hearing) However, could the average person tell the difference between a CD and a vinyl record? I doubt it. The same applies to the 18-200mm lens.

You and your friends will love the pictures you get from the D7100 and the 18-200. It is a lot easier to have one lens on the camera than to swap lenses. Why do you see so many pros carrying two cameras? One has a wide angle/normal lens and the other a telephoto.

Are the other lenses better? In some ways yes. They may provide sharper outside corners and be lighter. Still, for a all in one walk around lens that can do almost everything, I think the 18-200 is an excellent value.

Some day you may decide you want better. Until then, enjoy whatever lens you decide to purchase. Anyone of them will make you old point and shoot look like a toy.

Again, welcome! We are glad to have you around.

John

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 08-Mar-13 02:00 AM
#70. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 69

US

>If I can use an analogy, look at audiophiles. Some of these
>guys and gals would turn their noses up at a CD. Give them
>pure audio from vinyl. I will take their word that vinyl
>provides purer music. (ten years of flying military jets took
>away much of my hearing) However, could the average person
>tell the difference between a CD and a vinyl record?

Just want to jump in here... Just finished mastering a radio commercial that will air in the next few weeks to an audience of several hundred thousand people...

The fact is, a $50. CD player will blow the doors off a $5000. vinyl turntable in terms of signal to noise, dynamic range, frequency response and a complete lack of clicks and pops. Anyone can hear the surface noise and clicks and pops intrinsic to vinyl playback.

"Audiophiles" hate this because digital audio levelled the playing field and allowed the average person to enjoy phenomenal sound that used to be held in the private domain of the wealthy.

Having said that, my guess is that with the 18-200, if you capture a great image, NO ONE will be able to say, "Wow, this is nice, but it would have been better with more expensive glass..."

Some of the most historically revered images were captured on grainy film with lenses not nearly as capable as what we commonly have access to now.

Regardless of what you purchase, focus on composition, color and light and your images will be excellent.

bigbear1 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Mar 2006Fri 08-Mar-13 03:10 AM
#71. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 70

Roanoke, US

In response to the last two comments regarding my suggestion that perhaps Robert would find more versatility in buying two lenses -- a 16-85 and a 70-300 -- rather than the 18-200:

This was simply my suggestion. I've shot the 18-200 and although it does make a nice, one-lens solution for travel photography, I've found it to be less than optimal in terms of image quality than lenses with less than a 10x zoom range. It's simply optics -- you can't produce a lens of that zoom range that's sharp at all focal lengths, light weight, fast and inexpensive enough for consumer use.

That's not to say that a competent photographer can't make excellent images with the 18-200. You just have to realize the limitations and trade-offs you have to make with a 10x zoom, over a 3x or 5x ratio.

The purchasing decision ultimately boils down to the type of shooting you do, your budget and whether one-lens convenience is more important than packing several lenses.

I own both a 17-55 f/2.8 and a 70-200 f/2.8. The IQ of both lenses is outstanding. But
when I need to travel light, the 16-85 and 70-300 can adequately handle just about any shooting situation and subject.

As the old saying goes, "you pays your money, you makes your choices."

bigbear1

Digital_Reality Registered since 19th Oct 2012Fri 08-Mar-13 10:09 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#72. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 0

Bangalore, IN

>I know many people here tend to wait a few months when a new
>body is introduced to read expert assessments and allow any
>bugs to be worked out, but is this really necessary? I donít
>need an expert evaluation to tell me this is the body I have
>been waiting for to upgrade my ageing D80, and most software
>bugs can be addressed with firmware upgrades. That leaves
>just hardware defects, which seems like a real long shot.
>
>years, whichever is later. As a hand-holder I value shutter
>speed, especially with some of my slower glass, so shooting at
>ISOs of 1200+ will really enhance my enjoyment. Iím pretty
>confident the D7100 does the trick and I would like to have it
>in time for spring in the mountains.
>
>So what are the chances of an early purchase turning into a
>disappointment? Will you be ordering now or waiting, and
>why?
>
>TomNJ
>

If you are not in FF then D7100 is maximum you can get. Enjoy!

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Fri 08-Mar-13 12:01 PM
#73. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 71
Fri 08-Mar-13 12:02 PM by jmiguez

Lafayette, US

>In response to the last two comments regarding my suggestion
>that perhaps Robert would find more versatility in buying two
>lenses -- a 16-85 and a 70-300 -- rather than the 18-200:
>
>The purchasing decision ultimately boils down to the type of
>shooting you do, your budget and whether one-lens convenience
>is more important than packing several lenses.
>
>
>As the old saying goes, "you pays your money, you makes
>your choices."
>
>bigbear1
>
>

Hi John, I was not trying to say you were giving bad advice. I agree with you that the 18-200 mm lens is not the prettiest girl at the dance.

I was only defending the lens. I really believe that we Nikonians sometimes unfairly look down on this lens, in our attempt to achieve excellence. I just happen to think the lens is capable of producing sharp images and is a bit better than its reputation here at Nikonians.

I offer this image as evidence. I think it is a sharp image. It was taken with a D7000 on the Hawaiian trip I mentioned earlier.

John

RobertK Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2013Fri 08-Mar-13 01:01 PM
#74. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 71

Roselle, US

>It's simply optics -- you can't produce a lens of that zoom
>range that's sharp at all focal lengths, light weight, fast
>and inexpensive enough for consumer use.
>

Thanks a bunch for the prompt replies on my lens choice. I was leaning towards the 18-200 but after reading your replies Iíll buy the 16-85 now and a prime later for night shots. I realize after shooting with the Coolpix 5700 for the last decade I have been using the telephoto portion of the zoom as a crutch and I want to break myself of this habit. I do shoot lots of landscape photos and the 16-85 will help in that regard.

I also have a wife who has her doubts on how my $1700 camera and lens will really be THAT much better than her 5MP Kodak point and shoot. I guess Iíll have to impress her

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 08-Mar-13 01:25 PM
#75. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 74

US

I realize
>after shooting with the Coolpix 5700 for the last decade I
>have been using the telephoto portion of the zoom as a crutch
>and I want to break myself of this habit. I do shoot lots of
>landscape photos and the 16-85 will help in that regard.

My son had a Coolpix 5700, and it was a great camera, but I think you're going to love the jump to the D7100. The viewfinder, LCD screen, handling, and quality are going to be a real quantum leap for you.

TonyJ Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Sep 2004Fri 08-Mar-13 01:28 PM
#76. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 74

Boulder, US

I've heard nothing but good things about the 16-85mm. Sharp and built like a tank. This is one I think is worth the money. The 70-300mmVR that's been mentioned is becoming the "bang for the buck" king of Craigslist. I've seen them for as little as $200 and they can be had all day at $350-$400. Strong performer and with the D7100 would give you some pretty incredible reach for the $...

My Nikonians Gallery

newfoundlander61 Registered since 03rd Feb 2013Sun 10-Mar-13 05:17 PM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#77. "RE: Will you be buying the D7100 now?"
In response to Reply # 76

Kingston, CA

My original plan was to get the D7000, but with little price differences here in my area my plan is to get the D7100 and the uodated 80-400. My current setup is the D50 with the older 80-400.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24561 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.