Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24537
View in threaded mode

Subject: "If you buy the D7100 will you keep your D7000 for backu..." Previous topic | Next topic
NikonMark37814 Registered since 20th May 2010Sun 24-Feb-13 01:44 PM
1125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"If you buy the D7100 will you keep your D7000 for backup duty?"

Morristown, US

I plan to get the new D7100 and wonder what D7000 owners plan to do with their D7000? If the price comes down to $600 I'd get a D7000 for the wife. She's currently using the D300s and would love something smaller and lighter.

mVs
D2x, D300s, D700 & D800

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011Sun 24-Feb-13 02:57 PM
2510 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: If you buy the D7100 will you keep your D7000 for backup duty?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, US

I have no need for a D7000 with a D7100.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

labtrout Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2011Sun 24-Feb-13 02:58 PM
378 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: If you buy the D7100 will you keep your D7000 for backup duty?"
In response to Reply # 0

Bristol, US

At this point, I plan to keep my D7000. It's still a great camera.

Philip Weber Silver Member Nikonian since 08th May 2008Sun 24-Feb-13 07:39 PM
110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: If you buy the D7100 will you keep your D7000 for backup duty?"
In response to Reply # 0

Escondido, US

I'm getting rid of my D7000, as my "back-up" DX body is my D800 is crop mode!

Phil

Ray B Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2008Sun 24-Feb-13 07:41 PM
210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: If you buy the D7100 will you keep your D7000 for backup duty?"
In response to Reply # 0

Worthing, GB

I have a D600 with D7000 as my second body, mostly FX glass. I have no plans to change (for a change NAS is not gripping me).

I can see both the appeal of this body for upgraders and equally the frustration for those awaiting a "D400".

But for me, where the D7000 is a second body, a great big no

Regards, Ray

Visit: My Nikonians Gallery

larrycurrlymoe Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Feb 2009Sun 24-Feb-13 11:40 PM
282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: If you buy the D7100 will you keep your D7000 for backup duty?"
In response to Reply # 0

Calgary, CA

As it stands right now, when I pick up a 7100 my 7000 will be relegated to back up status. My most recent back up, a D80, just showed up dead with EE errors. So the 7000 will put me in good stead.
Turbo

larrycurrlymoe: not just a funny moniker, I can't dance either!

turbostrackandtour.blogspot.com

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Mon 25-Feb-13 12:43 AM
1081 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: If you buy the D7100 will you keep your D7000 for backup duty?"
In response to Reply # 5

US

My only FX glass is Bigma, 70-200 and 105 Micro. and on the wide side are 11-16 and 17-55 - so it does not make sense for me to do FX route at this time. if i'll get D7100 -i'll keep D7000 as a backup. but most likely i'll wait for d400 and keep D7000 as a backup.

Best regards,
Vlad

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Mon 25-Feb-13 02:30 AM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: If you buy the D7100 will you keep your D7000 for backup duty?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 25-Feb-13 06:40 PM by Chris Platt

Newburg, US

If Thom is right and the sensor is the same sensor as the D5200, I won't be upgrading my D7000. ISO sensitivity, signal to noise ratio, color sensitivity, and tonal range are all very close between the D7000 and the D5200. The D5200 has about 2/3 EV advantage in dynamic range between 1600 and 3200 ISO. None of that is enough to make a significant difference in image quality. I'm dubious that my lenses can deliver the marginal increase in resolution that the sensor can deliver or take real advantage of all those pixels. It may have more responsive focus, but I haven't felt focused limited by the D7000.

It's very much a "wait and see" for me.

Visit my gallery.

torwood Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2010Mon 25-Feb-13 04:07 AM
666 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: If you buy the D7100 will you keep your D7000 for backup duty?"
In response to Reply # 7
Mon 25-Feb-13 04:08 AM by torwood

Jefferson Hills, US

I'll probably upgrade to the D7100 just before next Christmas. I'll probably keep my D7000 as a back-up, though I can't imagine why I'd ever use it unless the D7100 crapped out, or I had the need to mount two lenses and use them simultaneously, which I could see happening as I get better at sports. I'll most likely dump my D90 for whatever I can get for it to offset some of the cost.

For me, the D7000 is very, very good. So good, that until this announcement, I thought my next camera body would be a D600, giving me great performance in both DX crop and FX low light, with the same ergonomics. But, it's all about AF performance and High ISO performance for me, shooting my sons' sports. For everything else I shoot, I could still be using my D90. The upgraded AF system (better than the D600), and a stop of high ISO, and I'll jump. I might even jump just for the AF system.

Really, by Christmas, or at least this time next year, the price will be down 10%. For $1,100, it's worth it to me to upgrade AF and ISO (even if ISO only improves a little). This will mean that I won't be going to FX until the D600 replacement hits the street a few years from now.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Mon 25-Feb-13 05:22 AM
6135 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: If you buy the D7100 will you keep your D7000 for backup duty?"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

Right now I'm thinking I'll sell the D7000. But I don't plan to get the D7100 for a few months, and if the used prices of the D7000 drop a lot by then, maybe I'll just hang onto it as a back up. Then I'll have 5 Nikon DSLRs, which is probably a bit excessive.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011Mon 25-Feb-13 08:02 AM
2510 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: If you buy the D7100 will you keep your D7000 for backup duty?"
In response to Reply # 9

Tallahassee, US

>Right now I'm thinking I'll sell the D7000. But I don't plan
>to get the D7100 for a few months, and if the used prices of
>the D7000 drop a lot by then, maybe I'll just hang onto it as
>a back up. Then I'll have 5 Nikon DSLRs, which is probably a
>bit excessive.
>

Meh, buy a few more and then you'll catch me. Even though I did just sell off my D2H. I always think I have too many cameras, and then spring comes around and I have to use remotes. Then I remember why I have them all, and secretly wish I had a few more.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Mon 25-Feb-13 12:25 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: If you buy the D7100 will you keep your D7000 for backup duty?"
In response to Reply # 8

Newburg, US

Good reasoning, but if it is the same sensor as the D5200, you won't get any increase in high ISO performance. The cameras have almost identical signal to noise ratios.

Auto focus is probably enough of a reason to upgrade with your subjects though.

Visit my gallery.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Mon 25-Feb-13 12:36 PM
6135 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: If you buy the D7100 will you keep your D7000 for backup duty?"
In response to Reply # 10

Wethersfield, US

LOL. I have no wish to compete to see who can spend more on camera equipment!

So far, the only DSLR I've gotten rid of is my back-up D2X. I still have my original D2X. It's handy as a daylight remote and for time-lapse shooting, where its relatively poor noise performance is not as much of an issue.

The only one I really don't use much is my D70. It wouldn't fetch much on the market anyway at this point, and since it was my first DSLR I have a sentimental attachment to it. I have no sentimental attachment to my D7000.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

mborn1 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Nov 2008Mon 25-Feb-13 12:47 PM
201 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: If you buy the D7100 will you keep your D7000 for backup duty?"
In response to Reply # 0

Taunton, US

I have the D7100 pre-ordered, then I will give the D700 to my soin and take his D300s and give it to my grandson so he has two cameras to use when he is shooting rap concerts

Myer
Photo Bee1
http://photobee1.blogspot.com/
http://photobee1.com

torwood Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2010Mon 25-Feb-13 06:12 PM
666 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: If you buy the D7100 will you keep your D7000 for backup duty?"
In response to Reply # 13

Jefferson Hills, US

"...and since it was my first DSLR I have a sentimental attachment to it."

That's funny. I have the same sort of attachment to my D50, which I used for six years before upgrading. It's virtually worthless as a trade-in, so I don't feel guilty keeping it forever (and I still use it for snapshots). Like you, I have no attachment whatsoever to my D90. I'd sell it tomorrow, and probably should before it drops any further as a trade-in.

NRousu Registered since 16th May 2012Mon 25-Feb-13 06:34 PM
55 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: If you buy the D7100 will you keep your D7000 for backup duty?"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

I don't think I'll upgrade. I don't see enough feature bump to put me over that edge. My D7000 still does very well.

Also, I'm saving my money for when they announce the new F7!

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Mon 25-Feb-13 09:26 PM
294 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: If you buy the D7100 will you keep your D7000 for backup duty?"
In response to Reply # 0

Aventura, US

I think I will convert my d7000 to IR.

NRousu Registered since 16th May 2012Mon 25-Feb-13 09:34 PM
55 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: If you buy the D7100 will you keep your D7000 for backup duty?"
In response to Reply # 16

CA

>I think I will convert my d7000 to IR.

Hey - good idea.

Snapshott Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Sep 2007Tue 26-Feb-13 01:44 AM
396 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: If you buy the D7100 will you keep your D7000 for backup duty?"
In response to Reply # 5

Richmond, US

>As it stands right now, when I pick up a 7100 my 7000 will be
>relegated to back up status. My most recent back up, a D80,
>just showed up dead with EE errors. So the 7000 will put me in
>good stead.
>Turbo
My D80 went out about 2 years ago with the same EE error. Mine had a bad mirror box and was about $250 to repair.

Even though I shoot a lot of low light work I think I'm sticking with the D7000. I do come into a little bit of money and was on the fence but decided against it . I was so close to getting it that I probably would have ordered one if it took the same grip.

FutureLook Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2003Fri 01-Mar-13 02:22 AM
512 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: If you buy the D7100 will you keep your D7000 for backup duty?"
In response to Reply # 0

Miami, US

I ordered a D7100 and I am planning to keep my D7000 as a backup. It is such a great camera.

Visit my website: http://www.futurelookphotography.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24537 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.