Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24030
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Possible D7K Replacement Soon????" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
This message is locked.
BOAZ632 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2010Sat 16-Feb-13 05:13 PM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Possible D7K Replacement Soon????"

Upper Marlboro, US

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/02/15/confirmed-nikon-press-conference-next-week-very-good-chance-of-d7100-announcement.aspx/

Nikonian in Upper Marlboro, MD

ADCole
www.adcoleweddingphotoimages.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Sat 16-Feb-13 07:41 PM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Possible D7K Replacement Soon????"
In response to Reply # 0

Norwalk, US

The D7000's been up for replacement for some time - and now with the D5200 stealing its AF module and metering sensors, I wonder if it'll get an even more sophisticated AF system and metering system? The AF system it doesn't need, but more metering segments would be very nice indeed.

They're not saying it may not be announced, but we'll see.

NikonMark37814 Registered since 20th May 2010Sat 16-Feb-13 08:33 PM
1125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Possible D7K Replacement Soon????"
In response to Reply # 1

Morristown, US

Would the upgrade include a larger buffer?

mVs
D2x, D300s, D700 & D800

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

torwood Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2010Sun 17-Feb-13 05:21 AM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Possible D7K Replacement Soon????"
In response to Reply # 2

Jefferson Hills, US

Rumor is a 24MP sensor.

I'd love to see one more stop of high ISO performance (i.e. give me ISO 3200 that looks like the current 1600) and an upgraded AF system that locks on better/faster in low light (how about something in between the 39 point and 51 point systems, or just give us the 51 point system and upgrade the pro bodies to something better). Give me those two things, even at the current 16MP, and I'd consider it the perfect DX camera for my needs.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 17-Feb-13 08:27 AM
28679 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Possible D7K Replacement Soon????"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Personally, I don't put too much faith into what is posted at Nikon Rumors - his guesses are only as good as the information he receives.

In this case, the linked post - suggesting a good chance of a D7100 announcement next week - was preceded earlier the same day by a post saying just the opposite, and followed up the very next day with a post saying that it could just be a Coolpix announcement after all.

You pays your money...

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Sun 17-Feb-13 09:01 AM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Possible D7K Replacement Soon????"
In response to Reply # 3

Norwalk, US

>
>I'd love to see one more stop of high ISO performance (i.e.
>give me ISO 3200 that looks like the current 1600) <snip>

You know, a full stop or stop and a half really shouldn't be that tricky - the D800 and D7000 have a similar pixel pitch (4.88 vs 4.78), but the D800 has more than double the high ISO performance. If they changed nothing else and charged $500 more than the D7000, my credit card would be out of my pocket already.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 17-Feb-13 01:18 PM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Possible D7K Replacement Soon????"
In response to Reply # 4

St Petersburg, RU

In fact the Admin, was noting that if this coming announcement was about a D7000 replacement it would be the first major release without leaked specs, images and price. "leaks" are a normal way of building buzz around a new product while still not having answer direct questions. The leaks before the D7000 and D800 were flowing regularly and kept the excitement going for months before an announcement and can be credited to the tremendous pre-sales on day 1 both cameras had.

If there is a replacement soon, it will probably follow the recent trends of lower noise, higher ISO, more pixels and lighter bodies. This style body has proven to be rugged and abuse resistant so those worried about "build-quality", usually meaning weight, worried needlessly. I would expect more of the same, which is all very good. Each of recent cameras have immediately jumped to the top of their class.
A lot of Canon shooters are envious that every single Nikon out now hias wider DR and less noise than any model their brand has ever produced. There is little reason to think Nikon is going to backtrack on that trend.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

torwood Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2010Sun 17-Feb-13 02:37 PM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Possible D7K Replacement Soon????"
In response to Reply # 6

Jefferson Hills, US

Yeah, I agree, Stan. I'm in no hurry, anyway. Basketball season is over for me in a couple weeks. That is really the only photographic subject that even comes close to taxing my D7000. Well, except for ultra-wide angle, but that is because I'm too cheap and insecure right now to buy an ultra-wide DX zoom (for fear that I might buy a D600 someday). Everything else I shoot is shot at ISO's under 1600, and the D7000 is wonderful in that range.

So, I don't have any need for an upgraded body until at least November, 2013. Hopefully, by then we'll have an improved DX body to consider. That said, I'd probably still find a lot of use for the D7000, if for no other reason than to keep the file sizes down.

SweetMK Registered since 22nd Jan 2013Sun 17-Feb-13 03:56 PM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Possible D7K Replacement Soon????"
In response to Reply # 7

US

I do not claim to be a Stan or Brian, but, WHY would I want a upgraded D7000, EVER, when for a couple hundred dollars more, I cam get a D600?

When I bought a Honda Accord in 2012 it was a SE model, leather AND heated seats. That kept us from returning to the Acura lot.

The ride was the same, the fuel mileage was the same, the space was the same. Honda gave us exactly what we wanted, and I did not buy a Hyundai.

The SE was exactly $20,000. Hyundai and Acura could not deliver leather and heated seats at that price point. What is more important to a vehicle passenger than what your butt is enjoying!??

How can a DX ever deliver an image of an FX?

Honda won the sale. I doubt Nikon will do this with the D7X00. At least not at a price point that will keep me from considering a D600.

I want an image, not bells and whistles. And I want my butt to be comfortable!

torwood Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2010Mon 18-Feb-13 02:03 AM
#9. "RE: Possible D7K Replacement Soon????"
In response to Reply # 8

Jefferson Hills, US

Take it from somebody who just bought an Acura in December,...a Honda is not an Acura. At least a US Honda isn't. The leather and interior materials are nicer in an Acura. The stereo is MUCH better in an Acura. The handling and steering is superior in an Acura. Some options on my Acura aren't even offered on a Honda.

That said, with regard to cameras, FX is better than DX in most circumstances, but not all. A lot of us would like an upgraded D7000. DX is better for telephoto photography, especially field sports, birding, and other wildlife - and especially if you cannot afford lenses that cost as much as a used Honda. On my camera budget, I would have to make severe compromises to my sports photography if I had to give up DX. In the ideal world, I'd have a D600 and an upgraded DX camera.

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Tue 19-Feb-13 01:16 AM
1023 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Possible D7K Replacement Soon????"
In response to Reply # 9

US

After D600 was announced and after weeks and weeks of research and debating with myself I decided I’ll stay with DX for some more time. Money driven decision - Good DX gear is being dumped and can be picked at sensible price and served well for hobby or pro work. 17-55 for $750, 18-135 (just can't believe how sharp this lens is) for $110, Sigma 10-20 for $250 (on its way). If I’ll find 10.5 and 10-24 for a good price I will take those as well.

Only one thing I need from new D7100 - it is improved LV mode for macro (remove mirror slap and shutter below 1/30). I can leave with 16mp, but 24mp with the same ISO performance only a plus. Buffer size was my main complaint 1.5 years ago - now I can leave with it.

Best regards,
Vlad

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 19-Feb-13 03:31 PM
3297 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Possible D7K Replacement Soon????"
In response to Reply # 10
Tue 19-Feb-13 03:32 PM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

Even if it were true and I find it extremely dubious, it's not what many would like in a replacement DX. I think a majority of serious wildlife and sports photographers are awaiting a new semi pro D300s replacement and take advantage of FX lenses on the DX body. Some, like myself are now happy with a slower fps on the D800, others with the D600 and my D7000 functions ok.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Thu 21-Feb-13 12:49 AM
465 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Possible D7K Replacement Soon????"
In response to Reply # 4

Lafayette, US

Well we will know in a few hours. NR is now saying the upgrade to the D7000 will be announced.

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Thu 21-Feb-13 01:17 AM
#13. "RE: Possible D7K Replacement Soon????"
In response to Reply # 12

Norwalk, US

I saw that. The rumor is currently for a 24.1 MP sensor, the same 2016 segment meter and 51 point AF and no AA filter.

ron917 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Dec 2012Thu 21-Feb-13 03:26 AM
299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Possible D7K Replacement Soon????"
In response to Reply # 13

Andover, NJ, US

It's now posted on Nikon's web site:

http://www.nikon.com/news/2013/0221_dslr_01.htm

SweetMK Registered since 22nd Jan 2013Thu 21-Feb-13 03:42 AM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Possible D7K Replacement Soon????"
In response to Reply # 14
Thu 21-Feb-13 03:43 AM by SweetMK

US

The way I read it, the D7100 is a 1.95 factor crop!!

The D7000 is a 1.5

"D7100 is also equipped with a new crop image area, 1.3x DX crop, which increases the angle of view by approximately 1.3x that of the standard DX-format angle of view."

I thought a better image came from a larger sensor, not smaller? (unless you are a birder!!)

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Thu 21-Feb-13 03:45 AM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Possible D7K Replacement Soon????"
In response to Reply # 15
Thu 21-Feb-13 03:49 AM by JPJ

Toronto, CA

It has two areas for capturing still images: DX format (23.5 x 15.6 mm) and 1.3x crop of DX (18.8 x 12.5 mm). In 1.3x crop mode it comes very close to doubling your focal length while still producing images that have 15.4 megapixels. Quality yet to be determined.

Indeed this mode may be attractive to birders but NOT if Nikon didn't upgrade the D7000 buffer which quickly filled when shooting Raw.

I am intrigued to see what improvements they may have made in ISO performance as I recently upgraded to FX to get better performance in that department.

Jason

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Thu 21-Feb-13 03:59 AM
4184 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Possible D7K Replacement Soon????"
In response to Reply # 16

Alberta, CA

D7100 specs say buffer fits only 33 full-sized jpeg. Not sure what this means for RAW, but is potentially still a comparatively small-buffered camera. I think our D7000's fit around only 12-RAW before the buffer fills.

I read this as guaranteed a D400 is yet to come.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 21-Feb-13 04:00 AM
11280 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Possible D7K Replacement Soon????"
In response to Reply # 16

Lowden, US

They didn’t – the buffer is quite small.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 21-Feb-13 04:01 AM
11280 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Possible D7K Replacement Soon????"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Now that the camera has been announced lets have the discussion in this this new thread.

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=24151&mesg_id=24151&page=

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24030 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.