Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23572
View in threaded mode

Subject: "D7000 or D5200" Previous topic | Next topic
billcavanagh Registered since 05th Jun 2009Thu 31-Jan-13 12:21 AM
169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 or D5200"

Suffern, US

I am going to buy a new camera shortly.

Question D7000 or D5200? Your thoughts please.

Bill

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
clayolmstead Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2010Thu 31-Jan-13 12:28 AM
197 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 or D5200"
In response to Reply # 0

Austin, US

I couldn't be happier with the D7000. That said, there are a few things that the D5200 has that the 7k doesn't. Unless one of those features is a big deal to you, I'd recommend buying a little more than you need and growing into it. Cheaper in the long run than buying a little less and then buying a little more later on. (Speaking from personal experience.)

Clay
Austin, TX USA

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Thu 31-Jan-13 12:30 AM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 or D5200"
In response to Reply # 1

Jamison, US

+1

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 31-Jan-13 12:37 AM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 or D5200"
In response to Reply # 0

US

The D7000 offers more direct menu access, tougher build...

But as one who commonly prints/sells 20x30 images, the 24MP sensor is VERY intriguing, especially as it's so comparatively cheap.

The ISO3200/6400 noise levels might be worth looking into.

The 5200 makes me think a D7200 (D400) will definitely be released...

When it is, I'm jumping on it.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

billcavanagh Registered since 05th Jun 2009Thu 31-Jan-13 02:10 AM
169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 or D5200"
In response to Reply # 2

Suffern, US

Right now a D7000 is $100 more than a D5200.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Thu 31-Jan-13 02:56 AM
6099 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 or D5200"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

Your profile says you have a few AF (non-AF-S) lenses. Those won't autofocus with the D5200, so one question you have to ask yourself is: Am I OK with that?

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

TiaanR Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Mar 2006Thu 31-Jan-13 06:01 AM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 or D5200"
In response to Reply # 0

Centurion, ZA

Hi billcavanagh,

From what are you upgrading? I had the same dilemma in Dec when I upgraded from the D50. The first thing the sales person asked me was this.

The 7k is bigger than the 5200. The 7k has more direct controls than the 5200. I did not think this was a big issue till this weekend when I helped a friend with his 3200 and had to use the menu's. What a schlep.

I am happy with my 7k and are fine with the 16 mega pixels. I do not sell billboard size photo's. It is just for me, the family and the friends so the 24 does not matter to me.

"AF (non-AF-S)" was not a issue to me as I don't have any but it is something to consider if you do have them and use them.

Cheers

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Thu 31-Jan-13 02:20 PM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 or D5200"
In response to Reply # 0

Maidenhead, GB

What are you using right now? The D5200 and D7000 are entirely different beasts. Yes, they share the same AF system, and the D5200 has more pixels, but the D7000 has all of its key controls at your fingertips, has a more robust body, dual card slots, takes AF lenses, can control external flashes via CLS from the on-board flash and has a battery grip available for it.

I was intrigued by the option of 24MP, but after handling a D5200, I decided to pass on buying one and stick with both of my D7000s.

The D7000 is just over two years old which is long in the tooth by current measures, but it is and will remain one hell of a camera for several years to come.

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Thu 31-Jan-13 08:37 PM
3970 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 or D5200"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Bill - if your main body is currently still a D300 (that's what is listed in your equipment profile), you won't be happy with the consumer/plasticy D5200 or its significantly smaller physical size. The D7000, on the other hand, remains a big resolution, dynamic range and image quality upgrade from the D300. Some people, purely based on technical specs, might feel that the D5200 is just as much of an upgrade too, but the handling differences, absence of external controls, and much cheaper build quality compared to the D300 won't please you IMO.

The 16mp resolution of the D7000 is astonishingly good. The image processing engine in the D5200 may be based on the same EXPEED CPU, but the output of the D7000 is visually better IMO. Add the D300-like handling of the D7000 and I think the decision is easy.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

RSchussel Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Nov 2008Fri 01-Feb-13 05:40 PM
413 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000 or D5200"
In response to Reply # 8

Vallejo, US

While the D5200 has a 24meg sensor ,the density of pixels on the D7000 is identical to the D800.

The D7000 is still the best DX camera made. No one mentioned it but the D7000 has Auto Focus fine tune which is very useful with some lens.

bob

billcavanagh Registered since 05th Jun 2009Mon 04-Feb-13 08:27 PM
#10. "RE: D7000 or D5200"
In response to Reply # 9

Suffern, US

The D 7000 was delivered Saturday.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 10-Feb-13 08:59 AM
25659 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D7000 or D5200"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Hi Bill,

Congratulations on your new D7000.
Enjoy!
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

jhonave Registered since 11th Jan 2010Mon 11-Feb-13 11:55 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D7000 or D5200"
In response to Reply # 10

San Diego, US

Hi, Bill. Congratulations on acquiring the new Nikon D7000. For several months, I have been using the menu-driven Nikon D5000 and Nikon D5100 which became cumbersome to use and frustrating at times when I would miss certain shots because I was fumbling through the menus. I just got my Nikon D7000 recently, and as soon as I started using it, I was thrilled at the easy access to knobs and buttons for controlling camera settings. I wish I went with the Nikon D7000 right away.

Passion 4 Photography
Nikon D7000
www.p4ph.com/2010/09/nikon-d7000.html

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23572 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.