Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23497
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Histogram" Previous topic | Next topic
bill unger Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Oct 2011Mon 28-Jan-13 04:30 PM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Histogram"

manchester, US

I am having trouble keeping the histogram away from the sides. Even though I set to matrix and have the light meter in the middle most of the histograms are jammed up to one side or the other.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Mon 28-Jan-13 04:37 PM
3173 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Histogram"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

There really isn't a "normal" histogram. What it looks like would depend upon the scene. If there are mostly dark tones, it may be more towards the left, the opposite if there are mostly light tones even with matrix metering. If you shoot RAW, keeping the histogram to the right without clipping is often recommended no matter what the scene looks like.

Are the histograms clipped or just near the sides? Show us some examples and how you metered.

Alan

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Mon 28-Jan-13 07:32 PM
3956 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Histogram"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Post a couple of sample shots Bill. Can't tell what you're doing without some samples.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

bill unger Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Oct 2011Tue 29-Jan-13 12:24 AM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Histogram"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue 29-Jan-13 01:02 AM by dm1dave

manchester, US

--------------------------------------------------------

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)

bill unger Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Oct 2011Tue 29-Jan-13 12:26 AM
#4. "RE: Histogram"
In response to Reply # 2

manchester, US

I posted two images. I may not have done it correctly. I am not sure how to send the histogram. Let me know if you got it.
Thanks
Bill

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 29-Jan-13 01:01 AM
11279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Histogram"
In response to Reply # 4

Lowden, US

Hi Bill,

I updated your post above to add the histograms for the two images.

In this case I would not worry about the histogram being pushed to the left. These are indoor shots using flash so the backgrounds are going to be dark. Your subjects are properly exposed and nothing important is lost in the shadows.

In fact lookin at the on the right side, if you had exposed brighter you may have lost some highlights. The dynamic rage of the light is greater than the camera can record. In this case it is better to sacrifice the shadows.

The right side of the histogram is usually more important than the left side. If you overexpose, histogram bumped up against the right side, there is little room for recovering those lost highlights. The shadow detail is more easily recovered, especially at low ISO.

When you have a scene like this, that has a dark background, you can use active D-Lighting to help bring up the brightness without overexposing the highlights.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Tue 29-Jan-13 01:05 AM
1452 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Histogram"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Even if you're shooting raw, there isn't much you can do about how the histogram looks in post. It's best to use the histo in the camera first to judge exposure. If it doesn't look good there, then adjust the exposure.

Use the + button on the camera to zoom into the more important areas of the image and check the histogram. If it looks good at that point, don't worry about the rest. It appears the left side of the histograms you posted are for the background.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Tue 29-Jan-13 01:28 AM
4108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Histogram"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Darrell has a pretty good tutorial about histograms
http://darrellyoung.blogspot.com/2010/02/understanding-your-nikons-histogram.html

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23497 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.