Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23282
View in threaded mode

Subject: "The Nikon D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
jhonave Registered since 11th Jan 2010Mon 14-Jan-13 03:32 AM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"The Nikon D7000"

San Diego, US

Hi, everyone. Eons ago, I started with film photography, but it became an expensive hobby, so I stopped. I picked up digital photography in 2010 and eventually got the Nikon D5000 and the Nikon D5100. It took me several months to get comfortable with menu-driven shooting which slowed me down at important events. I would miss incredible moments trying to hunt for the right camera settings.

I am learning a lot from Joe McNally, Moose Peterson, Scott Kelby, Matt Kloskowski, Darrell Young, Steve Sint, and many more. I also read Digital SLR Photography and NPhoto magazines.

In 2013, my wife realized my growing photography needs and bought me the very-capable Nikon D7000 with the Nikkor 18-105mmm kit lens, and an SB-700 Speedlight. I am so thrilled at the camera controls that are now within easy reach.

As a New Year's resolution, I want to learn even more about photography, but I have to keep an eye out for Nikon Acquisition Syndrome (NAS) that I do not get caught in its grip! I did not know that NAS existed until I joined Nikonians!

Here is the Nikon D7000 page on my P4PH (Passion 4 Photography) website.

http://www.p4ph.com/2010/09/nikon-d7000.html

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
DerekTV85 Registered since 12th Feb 2012Mon 14-Jan-13 07:41 AM
320 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: The Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

Congratulation on your selection of a good wife . That brought you to the D7000. Its a great camera that you will enjoy over the D5000 and 5100.

Its a truly amazing piece of hardware. And good luck with your NAS. I started with a D80 that i never really learned and Nas brought me to a D7000 and mired of lenses and gear i might not really need .

I'd focus on figuring out what Focus setting work for you. The 39 point AF is a marvel over anything that i had used. And maybe the same for you.

Also while Nas is brought up. Check out the thread on Grips to find out whether you may think you need one, and what maker might interest you. If you shot full bodied Film camera it might be the next step in improving your time with the D7000.

Welcome to our forum page. And please share some of you pics and thoughts on your new camera.

BrawlerO Registered since 01st Nov 2012Mon 14-Jan-13 12:59 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: The Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Wokingham, GB

>Hi, everyone. Eons ago, I started with film photography, but
>it became an expensive hobby, so I stopped. I picked up
>digital photography in 2010 and eventually got the Nikon D5000
>
Same here

>In 2013, my wife realized my growing photography needs and
>bought me the very-capable Nikon D7000 with the Nikkor
>18-105mmm kit lens, and an SB-700 Speedlight. I am so thrilled
>at the camera controls that are now within easy reach.
>
Unfortunately I had to buy my 7000 myself
(but my GF did buy me a 55-300 lens for xmas) The SB-700 is next on my shopping list.

Glad to see someone on a similar Nikon journey. I can't wait for this horrible grey, wet UK winter to be over so I get some light to use these great toys!

jhonave Registered since 11th Jan 2010Tue 15-Jan-13 12:02 AM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: The Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

San Diego, US

>Congratulation on your selection of a good wife . That
>brought you to the D7000. Its a great camera that you will
>enjoy over the D5000 and 5100.

Yes, I am truly blessed!

>Its a truly amazing piece of hardware. And good luck with your
>NAS. I started with a D80 that i never really learned and Nas
>brought me to a D7000 and mired of lenses and gear i might not
>really need .

Despite the Nikon D5100 being a great camera, I hardly used it. I want to keep the D5000 as a backup since the placement of camera controls is somewhat similar to those on the D7000.

>Also while Nas is brought up. Check out the thread on Grips to
>find out whether you may think you need one, and what maker
>might interest you. If you shot full bodied Film camera it
>might be the next step in improving your time with the D7000.

I am already afflicted with NAS, hehe. I also shopped for the Nikon MB-D11 battery grip. It looks and feels great on my Nikon D7000. Now it's time for me to budget and save up for the next gear!

Derek, thanks for the welcome!

jhonave Registered since 11th Jan 2010Tue 15-Jan-13 12:22 AM
#4. "RE: The Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

San Diego, US

>>Hi, everyone. Eons ago, I started with film photography,
>but
>>it became an expensive hobby, so I stopped. I picked up
>>digital photography in 2010 and eventually got the Nikon
>D5000
>>
>Same here

I am glad to know that there are people here who took a smilar journey as mine.

>Unfortunately I had to buy my 7000 myself
>(but my GF did buy me a 55-300 lens for xmas) The SB-700 is
>next on my shopping list.

I read that 55-300 glass is great. I wanted the Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm f/3.5-5.6G VR2, but for now I need to learn using the Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G VR kit lens.

>Glad to see someone on a similar Nikon journey. I can't wait
>for this horrible grey, wet UK winter to be over so I get some
>light to use these great toys!
>

For the last several weeks, it has not been a sunny California here. Our winters are not as cold, but it still gets me out of the mood to venture out there. For now, I rather spend the time learning to use this new camera indoors where it is warm and cozy.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 16-Jan-13 08:38 AM
25662 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: The Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Jhonave,

Congratulations on your new D7000 kit.

Have you read Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson?

As for preventing NAS from striking: I wish you Luck.
More so since you seem to be averaging a new body a year.

Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 16-Jan-13 06:32 PM
3299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: The Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

St Petersburg, RU

The 18-105 is a great lens to develop your technique since is has a very useful range, had good optics and small and light enough to encourage you to take the camera with you whenever you go.
The glum days of overcast give a great opportunity to learn and practice flash photography. It is a skill that returns the very most of any hardware oriented accessories. Creative use of light that you have control of will give more improvement in one's work than any new high cost lens or kilobuck tripod. Most people miss out on that great asset by not learning it or noticing the opportunities it creates in so many situations.
There are good resources and blogs on flash and augmented light here on Nikonians to get you headed in the right direction.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jhonave Registered since 11th Jan 2010Thu 17-Jan-13 12:49 AM
#7. "RE: The Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 6

San Diego, US

>The glum days of overcast give a great opportunity to learn
>and practice flash photography. It is a skill that returns the
>very most of any hardware oriented accessories. Creative use
>of light that you have control of will give more improvement
>in one's work than any new high cost lens or kilobuck tripod.
>Most people miss out on that great asset by not learning it or
>noticing the opportunities it creates in so many situations.

I actually went a few times out in the cold and overcast and learned how to use the SB-400 as fill light, trying out various ISO, aperture, shutter speed, etc., then adjusting the flash and exposure compensation settings on the D5000. Now, I have to do the same with the D7000 when my SB-700 arrives.

>There are good resources and blogs on flash and augmented
>light here on Nikonians to get you headed in the right
>direction.

I will start browsing around. Thanks for the tip, Stan.

jhonave Registered since 11th Jan 2010Thu 17-Jan-13 01:00 AM
#8. "RE: The Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 5

San Diego, US

>Have you read Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson?

Yes, I read several pages of the book at the local bookstore, trying to learn more, especially about low-light photography.

>As for preventing NAS from striking: I wish you Luck.
>More so since you seem to be averaging a new body a year.

At the time, I was wanting to get a Nikon D7000, but it was out-of-stock for several months. I needed a backup camera for some of the events I was covering, so I got the D5100. I was disappointed at first since the display grid was absent from it. This is when I realized I needed easier access to camera settings. I wish I have waited. I do not plan to buy any camera in the near future. I need to start investing on glass and accessories, like another speedlight, softboxes, reflectors, etc. <sigh>

jhonave Registered since 11th Jan 2010Thu 17-Jan-13 01:07 AM
#9. "RE: The Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

San Diego, US

>I'd focus on figuring out what Focus setting work for you. The
>39 point AF is a marvel over anything that i had used. And
>maybe the same for you.
>

Thanks for pointing this out. Just the other day, I was trying the various focus modes, auto and manual. It is amazing to discover so many options.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23282 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.