Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22909
View in threaded mode

Subject: "D7000 IR Capability" Previous topic | Next topic
Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Sat 29-Dec-12 12:48 AM
294 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 IR Capability"
Sat 29-Dec-12 12:49 AM by Steve6344

Aventura, US

Can D7000 take ir pictures without actually converting it to ir.
In other words use an IR filter, tripod and long exposure. I posted a similar question in the IR Forum but didn't get any comments.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Remooc Registered since 25th Sep 2012Sat 29-Dec-12 09:12 AM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 IR Capability"
In response to Reply # 0

Newquay, Cornwall, GB

Hi Steve,
I have used a 720 nm IR filter with some success. In full sunlight this requires exposures in the 3-4 second range. This filter still let's some near IR colours through and you have to do the channel swapping in post. There is an example picture in my gallery of the results. I have also tried a 850nm IR filter which blocks more of the red spectrum but exposures using this filter were into the 2 minute range, but this was on a cloudy day. Still waiting for a sunny day to try it properly but it is constant rain and flooding in Cornwall at the moment. Hope this info helps.

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Sat 29-Dec-12 12:37 PM
294 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 IR Capability"
In response to Reply # 1

Aventura, US

Hi Martin. Yes, this is very good information. Now I know that the D7000 can do it. Can you please let me know which filters you are using. I liked your picture of Boating Lake.
Thanks.

Remooc Registered since 25th Sep 2012Sun 30-Dec-12 05:20 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 IR Capability"
In response to Reply # 2

Newquay, Cornwall, GB

I just bought cheap filters off EBay, not knowing what to expect. But the results we good. For the sake of 7-10 GBP per filter it gives okay results at a cheap price. Good to give it a go and if IR is something you enjoy then you could then invest in better filters or get a second hand cheaper body and have it converted into IR.

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Sun 30-Dec-12 05:24 PM
#4. "RE: D7000 IR Capability"
In response to Reply # 3

Aventura, US

Thanks. What brand filters did you buy? I need a 77mm size. The ones I've seen new (Tiffen or Hoya) go for about $140 at B and H or Adorama.

Remooc Registered since 25th Sep 2012Sun 30-Dec-12 06:01 PM
#5. "RE: D7000 IR Capability"
In response to Reply # 4

Newquay, Cornwall, GB

As in the post above Steve, cheap non branded ones to give it a try, 7-10 GBP works out roughly between USD5-8 per filter, try these first then get the more expensive ones if its what you enjoy doing.

Remooc Registered since 25th Sep 2012Mon 31-Dec-12 11:26 AM
#6. "RE: D7000 IR Capability"
In response to Reply # 5

Newquay, Cornwall, GB

Sorry did the conversion the wrong way it should be USD10-15. Roughly.

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Mon 31-Dec-12 12:33 PM
#7. "RE: D7000 IR Capability"
In response to Reply # 6

Aventura, US

I just bought one on Amazon for $14. It's coming from China so it may take a while to arrive.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22909 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.