Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22085
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Lens compatibility question" Previous topic | Next topic
Newondigital Registered since 10th Nov 2012Sat 10-Nov-12 09:41 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Lens compatibility question"
Sun 11-Nov-12 04:34 AM by dm1dave

HN

I am new to Nikonians and I don't know where to post a question related to this situation:
I have a Micro-Nikkor-P Auto 55mm f 3.5 that I used on my old F2. Is there any reason that I can not use this lens on my D7000? If it help, the lens number is 683838. Will greatly appreciate any light on the safe (or non safe) use of this lens on the D7000.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sun 11-Nov-12 03:04 AM
4108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Does the D7000 need Auto focus lens?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 11-Nov-12 05:36 AM by JosephK

Seattle, WA, US

(Taken care of...)

Newondigital Registered since 10th Nov 2012Sun 11-Nov-12 06:24 AM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Does the D7000 need Auto focus lens?"
In response to Reply # 1

HN

Thanks for posting my question at the right place.
Now I only need a comment or comments to clear my doubt.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 11-Nov-12 04:11 PM
11279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Lens compatibility question"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Welcome to Nikonians Carlos!

I don’t know much about that lens so I have contacted another moderator who I think may be able to help. Hopefully he (or someone else) will get you an answer soon.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Newondigital Registered since 10th Nov 2012Sun 11-Nov-12 06:46 PM
#5. "Micro-Nikkor-P Auto 55 f.3.5"
In response to Reply # 4

HN

I will sit and wait and so will the lens.
Thank You.

Newondigital Registered since 10th Nov 2012Sun 11-Nov-12 06:53 PM
#6. "RE: Lens compatibility question"
In response to Reply # 4

HN

In a direct mail note I was told that blw, briantilley or MeMcd could shed good light on the subject.

Thanks again.

C.A.Genie

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 11-Nov-12 07:46 PM
2888 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Lens compatibility question"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 11-Nov-12 07:48 PM by Leonard62

Hatboro, Pa, US

The 55mm f3.5 micro P is a non-AI lens. Unless it has been modified to AI standards it will damage your D7000. Is the bottom of the lens tube around the chrome mount smooth all around or are there steps in it? If it's smooth it's non-AI and you can't use it.

Check out www.aiconversions.com

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Newondigital Registered since 10th Nov 2012Sun 11-Nov-12 10:37 PM
#8. "RE: Lens compatibility question"
In response to Reply # 7

HN

Thanks for your reply.
I would check on it. However and regardless I would be very skeptical on the use of my Micro-Nikkor-P Auto 55mm on my D7000.

I have a 55-200 AFS DX VR f 4-5.6 and a 35mm AFS DX f 1.8G
What lens would you suggest for landscapes and which other for Macro Photo of insects and flowers? I am a "non-for-profit" photographer reentering on the digital arena.
On the film age, I used de 55mm noted above on my F2 for very close macro shots. I believe that now there should be better alternatives. I do not plan to step up in cameras until a long time from now. D7000 has plenty for me to grow.

C. A. Genie

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 11-Nov-12 11:41 PM
2888 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Lens compatibility question"
In response to Reply # 8
Sun 11-Nov-12 11:47 PM by Leonard62

Hatboro, Pa, US

Nikon makes quite a few macro lenses in different focal lengths from 40mm to 60mm to 85mm to 105mm and 200mm. They are all autofocus lenses and will work just fine on your D7000. All of them will allow you to get to 1:1 magnification while your 55mm will only get to 1:2 without an extension tube. The Tamron 90mm macro is also a very good lens and highly thought of by many of the members here. My personal preference is the 105mm macro lens which gives you a comfortable working distance. However for most tight closeups you'll probably be using the lens in manual focus mode anyway. I prefer my manual focus AIS 105mm f4 macro lens which goes to 1:2 and 1:1 with the PN11 extension tube which has a built in tripod mount. For taking macro photos in the field I carry the Nikon AF 105mm f2.8D. I might be upgrading to the AFS 105mm f2.8G VR lens in the future.

For landscape type photos I prefer wide angle lenses between 16mm and 35mm. My favorite is the AFS 24mm f1.4 lens but it's pretty expensive and I wouldn't recommend getting it until you know what your favorite focal length is. I would recommend getting the little AFS 18-55mm VR lens and start shooting with it. It's quite inexpensive but a very good performer. You can always upgrade later. It covers a nice range for my landscape photos.

Len

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Mon 12-Nov-12 01:07 AM
#10. "RE: Lens compatibility question"
In response to Reply # 9

Hatboro, Pa, US

There is another option though. You can use your 55mm f3.5 P lens on your D7000 if you get it AI converted from someone like John White at the link I posted. The optical performance will be excellent. All you do after the lens is AI'd is mount it on your D7000 and enter the lens focal length and max aperture in the non-CPU lens data option in the Setup Menu. Your D7000 will then meter with the lens and you manual focus like you always did.

Here is a photo showing my 55mm f3.5 micro P lens which has the Nikon factory conversion on the left and the older 55mm f3.5 micro on the right that has not been AI converted. Note the AI step on the lens on the left just below the f22 aperture marking on the bottom aperture row. All Nikon did was replace the aperture ring with one with the AI steps. Also note the overhang of the bottom of the aperture ring on the lens on the right. This is what gets machined when it's modified to be AI compatible. This overhang, if not machined, is what can damage the little AI lever around the lens mount on the D7000.

Nikon introduced the AI lens mount in 1977-78 and offered to convert your non-AI lens for $20 plus shipping. That service was ended many years ago but John White can machine your lens to the AI standard and you can use it on your D7000. If you still have your F2 it will still work fine after the conversion.

Len

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 12-Nov-12 03:20 AM
25571 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Lens compatibility question"
In response to Reply # 6
Mon 12-Nov-12 03:24 AM by MEMcD

US

Hi Carlos,

Welcome to Nikonians!
It has been correctly stated that the Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 P is a Pre-AI lens that must be modified to AI spec in order to be safely mounted on your D7000.
It has a 1:2 reproduction ratio alone or a 1:1 reproduction ratio with the M1 or M2 extension ring.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Newondigital Registered since 10th Nov 2012Mon 12-Nov-12 03:58 AM
#12. "RE: Lens compatibility question"
In response to Reply # 11

HN

Thanks for your reply.

Since I live outside of the USA, just sending the lens for modification and receiving it later through a trusted shipper will most possible consume a very high % the dollar amount of a new lens. Such was the reason why I will let the 55mm remain faithful to my F2 till age part with them because film will probably never see again.

Also, that was the reason I asked for suggestions on a landscape lens and/or a Macro lens for the D7000. I mentioned the lenses I have now, just bought them two months ago with the camera. I am satisfied with both of my lenses but, on a recent trip I made to Madrid, I felt the need of a wider angled lens for landscape, but since I feel I have a long road to go to recoup my learning I had with the F2, I would like to concentrate on as few lenses as possible so I can spend time on taking photos instead of using the time to blaming it on the lens for not doing its work. I admire people who takes beautiful photos for their own joy with a D3100 or a T3.

So I will greatly appreciate if I am help to avoid mistakes in overreaching so I can concentrate on what I like....taking pictures...stoping time on its track.

C. A. Genie

Newondigital Registered since 10th Nov 2012Wed 14-Nov-12 04:58 AM
#13. "RE: Lens compatibility question"
In response to Reply # 9

HN

If I buy the AFS 18-55 VR would it be like a necessary upgrade to go to AFS 16-85 DX VR to better match the D7000 ? Is the 16-85 a more versatile lens like for portraits? If an upgrade should be expected, would it not be better to invest $ 659.00 now instead $ 199.00 and then the $ 659.00 ? Considering the lens I have now, AFS DX VR 55-200 F 4-5.6 and AFS DX 35 f1.8G would the 18-55 be the most useful complement? Please feel free to suggest within the alternatives now being considered and out of them also.

Will greatly appreciate suggestions

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 14-Nov-12 10:45 AM
5814 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Lens compatibility question"
In response to Reply # 13
Thu 15-Nov-12 03:02 AM by mklass

Tacoma, US

Carlos,

The 16-85 is a very good lens, and if you can afford it, I would suggest getting that right up front. If you were to get the 18-55 now, and want to upgrade later, I don't think you will get much out of selling or trading in the 18-55.

If you want to go wider, you could keep your existing lenses and add a super wide 10-24 or 12-24 Nikkor, Sigma 10-20 or 8-16 or Tamron 11-16.

That said, it all depends on your budget and what other items you may want.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Newondigital Registered since 10th Nov 2012Thu 15-Nov-12 02:43 AM
#15. "55 mm Micro-Nikkor P comparison."
In response to Reply # 10

HN

I have my 55 in front of me now. Even if the grid in the focusing ring looks like the lens you have on the left, the latch is placed in the direction like the one on the right and it does not have the step the converted lens on the left shows in line with the 22 aperture. Also, it does not have the band with number indicators 3.5 to 32 that the converted lens has below the latch. So the indication tells me that my 55 would need modification.

I appreciate your kind help on this matter.

C.A. Genie

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22085 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.