Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22058
View in threaded mode

Subject: "How to do long exposure with ML-L3 remote" Previous topic | Next topic
Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Wed 07-Nov-12 11:21 PM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How to do long exposure with ML-L3 remote"

Aventura, US

I would like to do a 2 minute exposure using the remote. I am not sure of the sequence of steps to accomplish this.

I believe I need to be in Manual mode. I am not sure of how to set the speed so that the shutter says open.

I know I should use long exposure noise reduction, a neutral density filter and cover the viewfinder.

I hope to get some tips on how to do this or possibly a link to an existing tutorial.

I am planning to buy one 10 stop ND filter (B+W). Does that seem like a good idea?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Wed 07-Nov-12 11:42 PM
11066 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How to do long exposure with ML-L3 remote"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Hi Steve,

You are correct you need to shoot in M mode.

Then set the shutter speed to Time indicated by -- in the LCD. You start the exposure by pressing the button on the remote and the exposure ends on the next push of the remote button.
See the manual page 73 for Long Time Exposures.

I hope this helps.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Underwater | Online Assignments| Best of 2014

Tucsonmr2 Registered since 08th Nov 2012Thu 08-Nov-12 09:03 PM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How to do long exposure with ML-L3 remote"
In response to Reply # 1

AU

Dont forget to set the camera to remote mode on the dial, if you havent already done it.

cheers

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 08-Nov-12 09:06 PM
11066 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How to do long exposure with ML-L3 remote"
In response to Reply # 2

Lowden, US

Thank you Steve

Welcome to Nikonians!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Underwater | Online Assignments| Best of 2014

Remooc Registered since 25th Sep 2012Wed 14-Nov-12 10:39 AM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: How to do long exposure with ML-L3 remote"
In response to Reply # 3

Newquay, Cornwall, GB

Hi Steve, you can also set the Remote control mode in the shooting menu to 3 options of which a good option is to use remote mirror up. Press remote once to raise the mirror, again to open the shutter and a third time to close the shutter. This is to prevent blur due the the mirror mechanism moving. Depending on the quality of your tripod it is best to leave a second or two between the first and second button presses to stop any vibrations from the mirror mechanism. See page 80 of the manual for more info of this and the other remote modes.

Martin

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Wed 14-Nov-12 07:05 PM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: How to do long exposure with ML-L3 remote"
In response to Reply # 0

Canton, US

>I would like to do a 2 minute exposure using the remote. I am
>not sure of the sequence of steps to accomplish this.
>
>I believe I need to be in Manual mode. I am not sure of how to
>set the speed so that the shutter says open.

For an exposure of that length you set the shutter to B or bulb.
>
>I know I should use long exposure noise reduction, a neutral
>density filter and cover the viewfinder.

If you are shooting manual mode, I see no need to cover the viewfinder during the exposure. That only applies if you are using some form of auto exposure where the meter is fooled by light coming in the viewfinder.

>
>I hope to get some tips on how to do this or possibly a link
>to an existing tutorial.
>
>I am planning to buy one 10 stop ND filter (B+W). Does that
>seem like a good idea?

It depends on what you are shooting and what you hope to accomplish. Are you trying to blur water?

George

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22058 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.