Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22004
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Would not take picture" Previous topic | Next topic
Caroleen Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2007Mon 05-Nov-12 11:53 PM
131 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Would not take picture"

Carthage, US

Today I was at my grandson's birthday party. My one month old D7000 decided it wasn't going to take a picture when you pressed the shutter button. It would take several pictures in a row and then all of a sudden it would not focus and would not take the picture. I was wandering if anyone has had a similar problem? I'm going to try it another day and see if it happens again. If it does it again I guess I need to send it in.

Any suggestions? Thanks, Caroleen

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Tue 06-Nov-12 01:01 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Would not take picture"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

When you say that it wouldn't focus & not take any more pictures do you mean any more for a long duration or a very short time period - like a few sections? Also, could you tell us your settings and if using flash?

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 06-Nov-12 01:20 AM
26290 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Would not take picture"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Next time it happens, pay attention to the green (black?) dot on the lower left corner of the viewfinder. That dot tells you whether or not the AF target thinks it is locked on target. If it's not lit, you probably can't release the shutter. It's only broken if the dot is lit and you still can't release the shutter.

Chances are quite strong that there's nothing at all wrong with it.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Caroleen Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2007Tue 06-Nov-12 08:25 AM
131 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Would not take picture"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue 06-Nov-12 08:26 AM by Caroleen

Carthage, US

My setting was on Manual - Aperture 5.6, Shutter 1/250, ISO 1000, indoors with a flash. I took probably 20 pictures and then when I pressed the shutter button, nothing. It wouldn't focus, wouldn't take the picture at all. I moved the camera and tried to take a picture - nothing. It wouldn't do anything. I turned it off and turned it back on and I was able to take a few pictures - after that it went right back to taking no pictures.
The focus dot did not come on but the camera did not even try to focus. You know it makes that hunting sound for focus and it didn't even do that. I probably am not using the exact terms for everything but when I pressed the shutter release it wouldn't do anything at all.
I do have about 900+ photos on that memory card (32G). I was reading last night that sometimes some cameras have a hard time storing more than 900 pictures. Don't know if that was the problem but it was annoying because I missed some of the most important times of the party like blowing out the candle, opening a certain present. It was annoying to say the least. Thanks for any help.

Caroleen Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2007Tue 06-Nov-12 08:35 AM
#4. "RE: Would not take picture"
In response to Reply # 2

Carthage, US

Brian, I did pay attention to the green dot and it did not come on but like I said when I replied above, the camera did not make the hunting focus sound. It just seemed dead when you pressed the shutter release. Usually you press it half way and it has that "trying to lock focus sound" and it didnt' do that either. Like I said it did nothing at all.

I have to say it was quite annoying when you're trying to get some good shots of a birthday party. My grandson was 3 so he's definitely not standing still to wait for a camera to wake up.

Thanks for any help. There have been a few issues with this D7000. One other issue is that the LCD will read "E" for memmory card slot sometimes and its not empty. I have to take the memory card out and re-insert it and then we can continue. I thought I had a bad memory card so I took the card back and replaced it. No, it still does it once in a while. Usually after you have taken quite a few pictures it will not let you take a picture and you look at the LCD and there's the "E".

Thats what I thought had happened yesterday but it wasn't. Thanks for any help.

mborn1 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Nov 2008Tue 06-Nov-12 11:28 AM
191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Would not take picture"
In response to Reply # 4

Taunton, US

I would just send the camera to Nikon since it it under warranty

Myer
Photo Bee1
http://photobee1.blogspot.com/
http://photobee1.com

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Tue 06-Nov-12 12:40 PM
2797 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Would not take picture"
In response to Reply # 0

Milton, CA

If you shot in burst mode, or took the pictures very quickly after one another, maybe the buffer was full and the camera needed to clear the buffer first?

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

esandy Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2011Tue 06-Nov-12 04:17 PM
140 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Would not take picture"
In response to Reply # 0

Wichita Falls, US

My thought is the same as Rassie's. I've been shooting with my D7k and had similar situation as yours. I pressed the shutter button and nothing happened. I was shooting in continuous mode and the buffer was full, once the buffer cleared the camera would work normally again.

Ed

ctdrummer Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2012Tue 06-Nov-12 04:59 PM
172 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Would not take picture"
In response to Reply # 0

Southern CT, US

Do you think you may have turned on Bracketing without knowing?

Visit my Flickr page.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 06-Nov-12 06:09 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Would not take picture"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Look for the "r##" in the viewfinder. If it shows "r0" the processing buffer is full and no more pictures can be taken until there is space for at least 1 image.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Wed 07-Nov-12 01:44 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Would not take picture"
In response to Reply # 3

Joanna, US

As others have mentioned, perhaps the buffer was full and/or when using the flash the battery didn't have time to recover. I would try some normal single shots and compare the results with taking several quick continuous shots; both with flash as you did at the party. If this doesn't give you a resolution I'd recommend sending it in while under warranty. Good luck.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Wed 07-Nov-12 03:26 AM
2797 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Would not take picture"
In response to Reply # 4

Milton, CA

It seems some D7000 cameras had issues where memory cards were not properly recognized in the camera. This was addressed through updated firmware. Are you sure your camera has the latest firmware installed?

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

earleinatruck Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Mar 2011Wed 07-Nov-12 05:57 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Would not take picture"
In response to Reply # 0

Bourne, US

I had some similar issues with the cheapie SD card that came with my kit. No problems since I upgraded to an approved Sandisk card. You may want to power down and remove the battery if it acts up again.

earleinatruck
...and there was light...and it was good.
The more I learn, the better my camera gets.
D7000 w/MB-D11 Grip
Too much, yet never enough...

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Sun 11-Nov-12 08:02 AM
310 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Would not take picture"
In response to Reply # 12

Netanya, IL

Can you, in that situation, turn the camera off?

I had a similar situation a few months back and there was an extensive discussion in the forum.

The solution was a camera reset. Anything electronic can, apparently, get itself tied up in a knot and has to be reset. The biggest culprits are, in my experience, Windows PCs, but cameras can do it also.

Nathan

IanCT Registered since 15th Sep 2008Mon 12-Nov-12 04:46 AM
253 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Would not take picture"
In response to Reply # 3

SF Bay, US

How long have those 900+ photos been on that card? Do you do any in-camera deleting? I ask because sometimes the card data can get fragmented. I haven't experienced this but a friend that owns a D90 did, he would fill the card, delete inconsequential photos, and shoot some more. He rarely offloaded them to the computer, as such he was just shooting pictures for fun but found out the hard way when his D90 would write to the card anymore until he manually copied the photos off and reformatted it.

Before every shoot I start with a blank memory card, I format it in camera and don't delete anything until the photos are offloaded into my computer.

Have you checked your camera/lens contacts to make sure they're clean? Maybe something isn't making 100% connection.

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Thu 15-Nov-12 12:53 AM
222 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Would not take picture"
In response to Reply # 0

Novi, US

I am assuming that both your camera and lens are properly set to AF.

Beyond that, I would do a total camera reset. I once had a problem (don't remember the details) where my camera was misbehaving terribly. Made no sense, and it even could have been the same problem you had. I couldn't even get it to work right it full auto mode.

I went into the menu and told it to reset everything to factory defaults and all of a sudden everything was fine (except I had to go back and re-set all of my settings, of course).

Also make sure you mode dial (on the top left) is set properly.

Good luck..

Mike

offrdk5 Registered since 22nd Jun 2008Mon 26-Nov-12 04:14 AM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Would not take picture"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 26-Nov-12 04:15 AM by offrdk5

US

Does this happen with one lens or all lenses? Dirty contacts?

And I have had over 2000 photos on my card with no issues so I think 900 should be acceptable!

mvlow1974 Registered since 03rd Dec 2012Tue 04-Dec-12 03:31 PM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Would not take picture"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Have you checked to see if you have red eye reduction set to on? When I first began using a D5100 I experienced a frustrating delay between shots when trying to take portraits of my grandson when using flash. I had a fresh battery, plenty of space on my SD card etc.

I was advised to check to see if the red eye reduction was set to on and it was. The red eye reduction feature fires a series of pre-flashes and therefore prevents you from taking the next shot before it has done its magic.

As soon as I switched off red eye reduction the problem was solved.

dmarklin Registered since 10th Sep 2012Sun 09-Dec-12 03:24 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Would not take picture"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 09-Dec-12 03:25 AM by dmarklin

US

I've been having the same problem. I have mine set up to shoot regardless of whether not focus is achieved but it still hangs; it will not take an exposure. I understand how frustrating it can be because I lost some good shots too. So if I can remember next time I'll try shooting with autofocus off and see if that doesn't do it. I hate to have to reset everything as suggestedi In the thread, and then go back in and put in my settings again. That would be a pain.

shooter26 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Feb 2012Mon 17-Dec-12 11:45 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Would not take picture"
In response to Reply # 18

Roselle, US

just wondering if you have solved the problem. i have had my 7000 for short time and no problems with camera not taking images after a certain amount of shooting.

dmarklin Registered since 10th Sep 2012Mon 17-Dec-12 01:40 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Would not take picture"
In response to Reply # 19

US

No, it's still a mystery.

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Mon 17-Dec-12 09:05 PM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Would not take picture"
In response to Reply # 20

HIXSON, US

Dave,

Unfortunately, I understand your frustration.

1) Is it possible that you are at the near focus point of your lens? If you are indeed within that range, the lens (at least G versions)will not hunt for focus, and it will not focus. If you are setup not to shoot without focus, the camera will not shoot. That one had me stymied for some time before I figured it out.

2) When your goal is to take a shot even if it won't win a Pulitzer, then what I do is:
a- I keep my AE-L/AF-L button set to force the shutter to fire regardless of focus.
b- If I know that my buffer is not full, and the shutter won't fire; I depress the AE-L/AF-L button while pressing the shutter release. I've never had that to fail.

Hope this helps!

Charlie

Camel Toad Registered since 06th Dec 2012Tue 18-Dec-12 09:10 PM
134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Would not take picture"
In response to Reply # 15

Austin, US

>I went into the menu and told it to reset everything to
>factory defaults and all of a sudden everything was fine
>(except I had to go back and re-set all of my settings, of
>course).

I had to do the same to my D7000 once, but it was day 1 of ownership and I can't recall what all setting(s) changes I had made. I haven't had to reset it since that one time.

FWIW I have read the manual and viewed a few DVDs since then

-James

dmarklin Registered since 10th Sep 2012Wed 19-Dec-12 12:43 AM
#23. "RE: Would not take picture"
In response to Reply # 21

US

Thnx. I'll Experiment with that

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22004 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.