Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21693
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Wish me luck" Previous topic | Next topic
OldNavy609 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Sun 21-Oct-12 04:05 AM
383 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Wish me luck"

Albuquerque, US

I just listed my faithful old Olympus OM4T and some top of the line lenses on Ebay. Wish me luck in selling. If it sells for the minimum the D7000 is mine!!! If it sells for what it's worth, then I'll have to decide between the D7000 and a couple of lenses or the D600. Any advice? I have two DX lenses for my D3200 (18-55mm and 55-200mm), so that is covered, but research tells me that I can use any AI or better FX lens on the D7000. Is this correct? (I do have a nice selection of both manual and AF lenses that I use with my film bodies). Thanks in advance.

Good shooting,
Lee

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RLDubbya Registered since 24th Dec 2011Sun 21-Oct-12 11:41 AM
542 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Wish me luck"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Best of luck!

I'm a big fan of the D7000, coming to it from the D5000 as my only other DSLR experience. I spent a year learning about DSLR, getting comfortable with shooting the D5000, and dipping my toes in the waters of post-processing.

The D7000 is a great camera. Since most of my work involves action-oriented "candid" shots of dogs, DX format makes a great deal of sense. I'm never wanting for "width", and 24mm is typically as wide as I ever need to go.

The D7000 rewards good technique, and it rewards good glass: put all three together, and you can create some breathtaking images. If I were in your shoes: I'd do what I did, and spend some time with the lenses you have for DX, and then figure out where I spend the bulk of my focal range, and get "pro" quality glass to cover that range. I went Sigma EX for the 24-70 range, which is probably 75% of my shooting; I splurged for the Nikon 70-200/2.8 VR-II for my telephoto - and am amazed at the detail, bokeh, and subject isolation this lens affords me (well, really, I'm amazed at everything about this lens, but, I'm easily amazed). I can take a shot of a dog and have one side of their face in razor sharp focus, with the other side starting to blur. The effect is eerie; I'm looking at one such image right now, and am, well, amazed.

I have added the MB-D11 grips to both my D7000 bodies. The extra heft of the grip, along with the extra battery life, definitely helps me quite a bit. You might consider doing the same; I would, at a minimum, play around in a camera store with the grip, and see how it feels in your hands. I did try the cheap plastic Meike grip alongside the Nikon grip for a couple months, and recently dumped the Meike grip in favor of another MB-D11.

I'm no technical wizard, but it's my understanding that most Nikon lenses can be used on the D7000. It's got an internal focusing motor which makes this possible. Obviously, any modern FX lenses work just fine. I'm trying to purchase FX-capable lenses when possible, because I have a feeling I'll be forced to move to FX someday.

Not because of deficiencies in DX, but because if things continue evolving for me the way they've been, I'll need pro quality bodies. It looks like, in Nikonville, that means FX.

Anyhow, have fun!

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Sun 21-Oct-12 12:11 PM
680 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Wish me luck"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

Yes, RLDubbya is right on the money. The D7000 will work with most of the FX lenses. I have two f2.8 FX lenses that work exceptionally well with my D7000. Putting DX lenses on a FX body will come with challenges and limitations, however.

If you can only buy the D600 and maybe one lens, you'll be limiting yourself until you can afford more FX glass. I started out with the 18-55mm and 55-200mm on a D80. They are great lenses in sufficient light. Very sharp in combination with the D7000.

I'll eventually move to the D600 and keep the D7000. Both bodies have unique capabilities for different types of photography.

Tough (but fun) decision you have to make!

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

OldNavy609 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Tue 06-Nov-12 06:47 AM
383 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Wish me luck"
In response to Reply # 2

Albuquerque, US

Thanks for the input, guys. I really appreciate it. I think that I've made up my mind. If I can afford it, I'll go with the D600, since I have some very good FX lenses. The D7000 would work for me too, and I would save for the upgrade to the D600. It would probably be about a year's worth of saving.

Good shooting,
Lee

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21693 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.