Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #13616
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Scary SD card lesson" Previous topic | Next topic
ziggy7 Registered since 31st Oct 2008Wed 23-Nov-11 09:22 AM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Scary SD card lesson"

Orange Park, US

Somehow a 4GB SD card with D40 images on it got mixed up with the fresh ones. I put it into my D7000 and it said "this card contains no images". Fortunately, I did not format the card or make any photos. Later, my daughter needed a small card for her D40 and I gave her that one. She put it into her D40 and then informed me that there were a bunch of images on it.
I think the D7000 firmware should have told me there were D40 images on the card instead of lying to me. So now I know I'll have to check cards in the computer because the cameras will lie.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
plaiditude Registered since 09th Aug 2011Wed 23-Nov-11 12:13 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Scary SD card lesson"
In response to Reply # 0

Winnipeg, CA

This depends on a setting in the camera. Look through the menu's, there is a place that you can set it to either display one folder or all. I have mine set to show all so that this doesn't happen.

Visit my website.

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Wed 23-Nov-11 01:52 PM
3021 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Scary SD card lesson"
In response to Reply # 1

Raleigh, US

Yep, that setting is in the Playback Menu.

Rocky

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Wed 23-Nov-11 09:09 PM
233 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Scary SD card lesson"
In response to Reply # 2

Novi, US

Thanks for this. I've never had an issue and I thought I had went through every setting in the menus, but I had not and mine was set to D7000. I could have run into the same thing, but now I won't.

Mike

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Wed 23-Nov-11 10:11 PM
3021 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Scary SD card lesson"
In response to Reply # 3

Raleigh, US

I think that setting should default to all folders. I also think that custom menu setting f8, slot empty release lock, should default to lock to prevent taking shots without a memory card.

Rocky

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Thu 24-Nov-11 12:44 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Scary SD card lesson"
In response to Reply # 4

Phoenix, US

Set up the camera to your preferences and save the settings to the SD card. I keep a tiny SD card (32MB) for just that purpose in my kit bag. I also store my custom picture controls and the most recent firmware on the card so I always have it with me. Also transfer the settings to your computer for safe keeping.

In fact I never format my SD cards. I don't believe that it solves more problems than it creates. I just have the files erased after they are copied to my PC. The things that you can do to corrupt a memory card are not mitigated by periodic formatting and I prefer to have my settings saved on my larger memory cards as well to return them back to my default shooting settings.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

SaurianFire Registered since 11th Feb 2011Thu 24-Nov-11 01:40 AM
145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Scary SD card lesson"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Other than managing Picture Control how about using the U1 and U2 settings on the mode dial???

Respectfully,
Frank

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Thu 24-Nov-11 03:17 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Scary SD card lesson"
In response to Reply # 6

Phoenix, US

I consider the settings file I keep on the SD card my "U3" settings. Ido use the U1 & U2 positions but just as I can flip to U1 or U2 and have the camera in a known state, I can also load the settings file and I am in my third default known state.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #13616 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.