Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #13332
View in threaded mode

Subject: "setting the focus point?" Previous topic | Next topic
xat130j Gold Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2007Fri 11-Nov-11 07:02 AM
329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"setting the focus point?"

GB

Hi
It is still a steep learning curve with my D7000, but impressions so far it is a great camera.

However I have a quick question, when taking portrait images I like to focus on the subjects eye, in the past I have set my D300 to single sensor, focused the shot, then re-framed and taken the exposure. Does the D7000 allow me to do this? Have looked at the manual, but cannot work out if it can be done, or should I let the 39/11 point sensors do their work? I have uploaded an image and I am happy with the sharpness, however they are not all this sharp...this young lady was taking part in the Whitby Gothic Weekend.

Regards

Dave

Regards
Dave Tucker
Yorkshire Nikonian

Please take time to visit my website:

http://www.davidtucker.co.uk

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
mikeon Registered since 01st Oct 2004Fri 11-Nov-11 11:14 AM
55 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: setting the focus point?"
In response to Reply # 0

Örebro, SE

Yes, you can focus in the same manor as in D300.
Use AF-S (in focus priority) and single focus point.

In manual on Focus chapter page 91-98.
Focus setting a2 on page 208.

/Mikael
-----------------------
D800 & D7000 user (Sweden)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

xat130j Gold Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2007Fri 11-Nov-11 04:03 PM
329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: setting the focus point?"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

Mikeon
Many thanks, will have a look
Dave

Regards
Dave Tucker
Yorkshire Nikonian

xat130j Gold Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2007Sat 12-Nov-11 08:39 AM
#3. "RE: setting the focus point?"
In response to Reply # 2

GB

Hi
I have read the manual search "you tube" and still stuggling to set a single focus point, I am doing the following:

1) Mode: A

2) "Custom Setting Menu" a2 AFS set to focus

3) ensured the focus lock is set as below

but still cannot move the sensor in the view finder, can someone help.

Dave

Regards
Dave Tucker
Yorkshire Nikonian

dwaycie Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2008Sat 12-Nov-11 12:06 PM
261 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: setting the focus point?"
In response to Reply # 3

Buffalo Grove, US

In addition to the steps you've taken, you also need to make sure the AF-Area Mode is set to Single Point, not Auto-area. If you are in Auto-Area mode, the camera, not you, will select the focus point. See page 95 of the manual.

Dave

xat130j Gold Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2007Sat 12-Nov-11 01:02 PM
#5. "RE: setting the focus point?"
In response to Reply # 4

GB

Hi
This is where I am struggling, I cannot change the from "Auto-area mode", to single point, tried everything from setting the camera back to factory settings to ringing a national dealer, still no luck, starting to think, this cannot be done. However if I change to "manual focus" I can put the sensor where I like.

Dave

Regards
Dave Tucker
Yorkshire Nikonian

ChrisPlatt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2011Sat 12-Nov-11 02:30 PM
515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: setting the focus point?"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Forget the menu system. Use the focus selector switch on the camera. Switch it to AF. While looking through the viewfinder, press on the button that is in the center of the AF switch and rotate the rear command dial until AFS shows in the viewfinder. Then, while still pressing the button on the AF switch, rotate the front command dial until S shows in the viewfinder. You should now be able to move the focus point with the multi-selector on the rear of the camera.

Of course you want to be able to move the focus point around, but if you have set the AE-L/AF-L button to AF On, you should not have to be chasing focus points by moving the single point around.

Visit my gallery.

xat130j Gold Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2007Sat 12-Nov-11 08:23 PM
#7. "RE: setting the focus point?"
In response to Reply # 6
Sat 12-Nov-11 08:30 PM by xat130j

GB

>Forget the menu system. Use the focus selector switch on the
>camera. Switch it to AF. While looking through the
>viewfinder, press on the button that is in the center of the
>AF switch and rotate the rear command dial until AFS shows in
>the viewfinder. Then, while still pressing the button on the
>AF switch, rotate the front command dial until S shows in the
>viewfinder. You should now be able to move the focus point
>with the multi-selector on the rear of the camera.
>
>Of course you want to be able to move the focus point around,
>but if you have set the AE-L/AF-L button to AF On, you should
>not have to be chasing focus points by moving the single point
>around.

Thank you, thank you and thank you, I have now got it!!!!!! It is this button, could not work this out "for the life of me"

Dave

Regards
Dave Tucker
Yorkshire Nikonian

xat130j Gold Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2007Sun 13-Nov-11 08:13 AM
#8. "RE: setting the focus point?"
In response to Reply # 7

GB

just found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CERkBvmjI90

Dave

Regards
Dave Tucker
Yorkshire Nikonian

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 13-Nov-11 05:04 PM
8514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: setting the focus point?"
In response to Reply # 8

Atlanta, US

Dave

You're right - it is not very intuitive -= especially for those used to the D300 and other models. Just remember to push in the button on the AF/M selector, then use front and rear command dials to make changes.

I find that using the AF-On approach works better for "focus and recompose". With the D7000 it is executed a little differently from the D300 in that instead of using AF On, you have to assign the AF/AE Lock button. Using the back button to activate AF seems to be more reliable - especially with VR lenses where you want to use the shutter release to activate VR.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

BForbes Silver Member Charter MemberSat 19-Nov-11 11:04 PM
118 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: setting the focus point?"
In response to Reply # 9
Sat 19-Nov-11 11:10 PM by BForbes

Alexandria, US

No kidding, it is not very intuitive. I was in a camera shop today playing around with a D7000 and could not find a way to lock the autofocus point so that I have one focus point in the center of the view finder. What appeared to be a few focus areas kept jumping around looking for I guess the closest object to focus on. I found this very annoying and could not turn this off. I have a D300 and was thinking of purchasing this as a second camera for weddings. I'll have to remember this the next time I'm in the store.

Brent

D700, D300, D70, SB-900, SB-910, Nikkor 24-70 2.8, Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II AF-S, Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G AF, Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D AF, Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G AF-S, Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF, Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF-ED AF, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Sun 20-Nov-11 12:59 AM
3019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: setting the focus point?"
In response to Reply # 10
Sun 20-Nov-11 01:02 AM by RockyIII

Raleigh, US

Simply put, you can set a single focus point by holding down the AF mode button while rotating the sub-command dial. Center the focus point by using the multi selector, and then lock it down by using the focus selector lock.

Rocky

xat130j Gold Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2007Wed 23-Nov-11 10:12 AM
#12. "RE: setting the focus point?"
In response to Reply # 11

GB

Thanks Guys for taking the time to respond to me question, all sorted now, looking forward to getting out with the D7000, very soon.

Dave

Regards
Dave Tucker
Yorkshire Nikonian

jodylud Registered since 07th Sep 2011Wed 23-Nov-11 01:24 PM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: setting the focus point?"
In response to Reply # 11

US

>Simply put, you can set a single focus point by holding down
>the AF mode button while rotating the sub-command dial.
>Center the focus point by using the multi selector, and then
>lock it down by using the focus selector lock.
>
>Rocky

Thank you SO much Rocky for this advice. I was always shifting the focus point with the slightest touch of the multi-selector button.

I LOVE this site! =D

Marmion4 Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Fri 25-Nov-11 04:52 AM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: setting the focus point?"
In response to Reply # 8

Near Sacramento, US

That is a great resource, thanks for sharing!

Laura

loveisageless Registered since 27th Feb 2011Sat 26-Nov-11 09:07 AM
116 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: setting the focus point?"
In response to Reply # 14

Oakland, US

My heartfelt thanks as well. The AF-Auto was driving me crazy. Order has been restored in my world lol

jodylud Registered since 07th Sep 2011Sat 26-Nov-11 06:29 PM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: setting the focus point?"
In response to Reply # 15
Sat 26-Nov-11 06:30 PM by jodylud

US

Just wondering... is there a way I can lock the focus point to my D5100? Can't seem to find any reference in the manual. :/

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Sat 26-Nov-11 07:21 PM
3019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: setting the focus point?"
In response to Reply # 16

Raleigh, US

I do not think the D5100 has the ability to lock the focus point.

Rocky

jodylud Registered since 07th Sep 2011Sat 26-Nov-11 07:27 PM
#18. "RE: setting the focus point?"
In response to Reply # 17

US

Thank you Rocky, I think I can live with that.

TheDraftsman Registered since 20th Jan 2011Sun 27-Nov-11 11:51 PM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: setting the focus point?"
In response to Reply # 18

middlesex, US

>Thank you Rocky, I think I can live with that.
>

Why would a DSLR not be able to lock focus points? Why would you live with that?

Is it not explained in pages 42-44 of your D5100 manual?

I can see why a lot of people have focus problems with their cameras and complain
on here rather that actually sit down to read and understand their manual first.

Visit Current D90 Set-up.

http://fototime.com/{04CF383D-D221-4184-A88C-5F1B6AFC4AE4}/origpict/proudownerfinal.png

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 28-Nov-11 01:54 AM
4151 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: setting the focus point?"
In response to Reply # 19

Seattle, WA, US

I think you are talking about something else.

Some of the higher level bodies have a switch that locks the focus point to prevent the multi-selector from moving it around.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED

xat130j Gold Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2007Mon 28-Nov-11 09:48 AM
#21. "RE: setting the focus point?"
In response to Reply # 20

GB

Hi Joseph, pretty sure the D7000 had a focus point lock......

Dave

Regards
Dave Tucker
Yorkshire Nikonian

xat130j Gold Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2007Mon 28-Nov-11 09:55 AM
#22. "RE: setting the focus point?"

GB

>>Thank you Rocky, I think I can live with that.
>>
>
>
>Why would a DSLR not be able to lock focus points? Why would
>you live with that?
>
>Is it not explained in pages 42-44 of your D5100 manual?
>
>I can see why a lot of people have focus problems with their
>cameras and complain
>on here rather that actually sit down to read and understand
>their manual first.
>
>
The point of forums is to share knowledge and experience, in my opinion. As the Thread Starter, I did not start this thread to "complain" and I can assure you , I did read the "manual first" however I still could not work out, how to change focus modes. I therefore asked for help, and with the help of Nikonians worked out my problem with changing focus modes.

Dave

Regards
Dave Tucker
Yorkshire Nikonian

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 28-Nov-11 10:39 AM
28729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: setting the focus point?"

Paignton, GB

At Joseph says, you're talking about something different. Cameras like the D7000, D300, D700 and so on have a switch that allows you to disable the Multi-selector, thus locking-in whichever AF point had been selected. The D5100 lacks such a feature.

You've been asked in an earlier thread to show more consideration and understanding for members who come here asking questions and looking for help. Please stop your critical comments. Thank you.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #13332 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.